cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We always unhook, even on an overnight stop

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago, dw sustained an injury while camping that required an ambulance/hospital...I had left the rig hooked up, as our stay was only an overnight.. unhooking the tv from the trailer meant her ambulance was 15 minutes ahead of me..

Lesson learned: always unhook upon arrival.. reasons...1) i could see a situation where we would need to roll immediately (can always come back for the tt later..2) if it were ME that was sick or injured, dw would probably not be able to remember how to and/or be physically capable of unhooking to get me to help--dealing with the weight distribution system can be confusing at first, and requires a bit of strength
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
41 REPLIES 41

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
down home wrote:
We don't unless we need to make a grocery run or to see something or eat out.
It has gotten hard to plug in the electrical connection and air brake hose, for me, the last few years. This June I think I damaged my knee replacement kneeling on bad asphalt surface. If there is a young teenager hanging around the office next time we check in I'm going to see if for five dollars he will unhook and hook us back before we leave. Not a big or hard job before now.
Nexxt vehicle I think will be a p/u with the plugins up high.

Air brake hose? What kinda RV trailer you got?

And yes this thread is getting pretty silly...not you, the thread, in general...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We always remained hooked up when we had a 5er and were just overnighting (or towing our toad with our Class C). Just being lazy, mostly ๐Ÿ™‚

I, the wife, could do anything that needed to be done as an RVer, although my first inclination in an emergency that involved an ambulance, would be to ride along leaving the RV behind with our dogs; and then deal with details later.

Of course now, as a "minimalist" RVer, we could just pull the extension cord and GO. In an evac situation, we'll be the first ones out the gate....LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Crowe wrote:
I AM GOING IN THE AMBULANCE

Maybe, maybe not. Not allowed in many cases. You'd be better off to take your own vehicle so you have transportation to and from the hospital.

If they allow me, I can catch a taxi back (or uber if no taxis around).

If they don't allow me, I am no longer rendering first aid once they drive off, so a couple minutes to disconnect is no longer a big deal.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We don't unless we need to make a grocery run or to see something or eat out.
It has gotten hard to plug in the electrical connection and air brake hose, for me, the last few years. This June I think I damaged my knee replacement kneeling on bad asphalt surface. If there is a young teenager hanging around the office next time we check in I'm going to see if for five dollars he will unhook and hook us back before we leave. Not a big or hard job before now.
Nexxt vehicle I think will be a p/u with the plugins up high.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I can and have disconnected our toad in under a minute. Not a nice neat put everything where it belongs of course, but in an emergency, who cares about neatness.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. Not allowed in many cases. You'd be better off to take your own vehicle so you have transportation to and from the hospital.

Iโ€™ll worry about that later, I can always get a cab back and get my TV.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
We stay hooked up.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
In an Emergency.
I could have truck/trailer unhooked BEFORE ambulance even got there

Could you do that while providing life saving care to the patient?

If you even started to think "Yes" you are a disillusioned fool especially if the patient is a loved one...

So many internet heroes...

No, he couldn't provide life-saving aid while disconnecting the trailer. He also couldn't drive a previously-disconnected truck to the hospital while providing life-saving aid.

So what's the point? Call 911. Ride the ambulance. Ask your neighbor for help. If you're worried about disconnecting the truck/trailer...then it's not an emergency.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Even more amusing is people taking the time to respond then calling the thread dumb. Just because the OP likes to unhook doesn't make it right or wrong. I will continue to leave the rig hooked up for ovenights for convenience.

Several years ago Skip had a thread of being caught in a tornado heading towards the campground and the distance to the shelter was to far to make it in time. From that point he believed in unhooking for emergencies.

No need for consternation of the OP for what he believes to be a valid concern.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
Campfire Time wrote:
There is no right answer to this. You can't prepare for every emergency. Do what you've gotta do for your personal comfort and safety.

X3, although Crowe didn't X2 it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, I couldn't agree more. Chance favors those that are prepared.

I can see the argument for both. Some hospitals have electric hookups for RVs, but then there are major city hospitals that may only have parking garages with no room for oversized vehicles.

-Michael

I am not aware of any hospitals around me with RV hookups. They do have "hookups" for their ambulances and paramedic vehicles which need 24 hour power (engine running or hookup) for all the electronics on them.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
This is dumb. If my wife needs a ambulance to go to the Hospital I AM GOING IN THE AMBULANCE who cares about the truck or camper. I can only say this because we don't travel with anyone else just the two of us.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nice, old biscuit! I like your style!

Let's face it, anyone who is conscientious though does things that make others wonder why??
It may be from previous personal experience, maybe from knowledge, maybe just fear or superstition.
It isn't weird that the OP does this. It's weird that he posts it like he's somehow looking for approval or confirmation that this is a sound practice.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
am1958 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
In an Emergency.
I could have truck/trailer unhooked BEFORE ambulance even got there

Could you do that while providing life saving care to the patient?

If you even started to think "Yes" you are a disillusioned fool especially if the patient is a loved one...

So many internet heroes...

Guess you missed my multi-tasking post.......

Get with the program.
Sheesh!

Some are just so easily lead.....by the nose.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31