cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

private land camping questions, cell booster suggestions

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
...Sooo, due to life circumstances, we find ourselves frequently needing to travel to and stay in an area about 450 miles from home. Having the RV (Motorhome) has worked out great for these trips. Only problem is, have not found a good campground to stay at in the area we need to be.

I did some searching for RV site rentals on craigs list, find a couple that owns some land out in the country very close to where we need to stay, and they've set up a couple RV sites on the land for short term (nightly or weekly) rental. Seems like really nice idea - Stay way out in the country, no neighbors hardly within sight, very peaceful in the country, creek running just down from the site that you can walk down to. And, of course, all of this with full hookups (50 amp, water, sewer). Call the number, talk to them, they seem really nice, so we book it, and plan to go there this last weekend.

Sooo, we make the 8 hour trip up there, find this place via GPS. Just before getting to the site, we run into neighbors of folks renting the land, and lets just say, they were not very happy about their neighbors renting their land to RVers. They'd recently had some not-so-nice people renting the site, that had caused some trouble. Neighbors say it is illegal for them to rent their land out like that to RVers, and they were in the process of trying to legally shut them down from doing such.

Despite a temptation to get the heck out of there and settle for one of the RV parks we know in the area (but really don't like)....We chose to stay. Owner of the land we were renting from met us out there, and we had a long talk. They assured us that what they are doing is perfectly legal, and the neighbors just don't like him, unhappy about past renters that caused problems, etc. Seemed like a nice couple, so we decided to try it out.

Well, we had a great stay there. Everything went great. Absolutely LOVED having nothing but woods and a dirt road around us. No neighbors right on top of us like at RV parks. Nobody bothered us entire time. It was like the best of both worlds - boondocking out in the woods, yet we had full hookups like an RV park. Yeah, no cable or satellite TV, but didn't really need that, anyway.

Only real issue we had was, cell coverage is very weak that far out in the country. I work remotely for a large financial services company, need strong cell connection to be able to work. Ultimately, would like to be able to park out there for a week or two at a time and be able to work from the RV. Will need a good cell connection to do that. I may be looking into a cell booster of some variety for that reason.

Soo, now the questions:

Has anyone ever stayed on someone's private land like this, that had RV sites set up for rent? What was your experience with such? Is this not a good idea?

Is there anything illegal about renting your land to RVers like they are doing? Do the disgruntled neighbors have a chance at shutting them down? Only thing I can think of that'd make it illegal, would be if the land isn't zoned to allow RVs? As rural as this area is, I'd seriously doubt that is the case.

Any advice, suggestions on a cell booster that'd allow for good data, and voice connections out in the boonies like that?

As always, all (well, most) comments, suggestions, etc. are welcome and appreciated. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")
28 REPLIES 28

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I live in Sauk County in Wisconsin. 5 years ago, Sauk County passed a rule that changed how owners can use their property. If you own land without a house on it, you have to pay $20 per night to camp on your own property. A friend and his family has been camping on family land for years, when the rule went into effect, they were informed that they now had to pay. So much for being able to do whatever you want with your own property. This includes staying overnight in a tent during deer season.

Who do you pay? Yourself or the tax collector? Wow!
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:

Any advice, suggestions on a cell booster that'd allow for good data, and voice connections out in the boonies like that?

As always, all (well, most) comments, suggestions, etc. are welcome and appreciated. ๐Ÿ™‚

RVs on private land: Depends on local regs & ordinances.

Cell booster, etc - best info = *Technology Corner* forum here.
(NOT Tech Issues)

~

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
westernrvparkowner wrote:
willald wrote:

As to whether or not the neighbors have a right to be upset: I can definitely understand their side of it. I wouldn't want my neighbors bringing a bad element into where I live. However, given how rural the area is, as long as the land owners only rent to decent, respectful campers that don't cause trouble...I don't think it will ever be a problem, and neighbors will probably calm down and be OK with it.
If you can come up with an algorithm, a questionaire, or a mind trick that can sort the decent, respectful campers that don't cause trouble from the indecent, disprespectful, troublemakers you could make a fortune. Your market would be much larger than RV parks. Every hotel, motel, restaurant, apartment complex and landlord in the country would beat a path to your door for that service.

Yep, you right, its a crapshoot, and you never know which ones will be the trouble makers vs which ones won't. Like you suggested, every rental business whether it be campground, hotel, motel, apartment, whatever, would face that same dilemma.

I guess what I meant was if they get lucky/fortunate enough not to get any more trouble makers, the neighbors will probably calm down a bit.

I do know we plan to be up there quite a bit, as it is/was exactly what we were looking for. ๐Ÿ™‚

Will
Will and Cheryl

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:

As to whether or not the neighbors have a right to be upset: I can definitely understand their side of it. I wouldn't want my neighbors bringing a bad element into where I live. However, given how rural the area is, as long as the land owners only rent to decent, respectful campers that don't cause trouble...I don't think it will ever be a problem, and neighbors will probably calm down and be OK with it.
If you can come up with an algorithm, a questionaire, or a mind trick that can sort the decent, respectful campers that don't cause trouble from the indecent, disprespectful, troublemakers you could make a fortune. Your market would be much larger than RV parks. Every hotel, motel, restaurant, apartment complex and landlord in the country would beat a path to your door for that service.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Again, thanks for all the suggestions. Believe I'll be ordering the Weboost cell booster, the unit they make for RVs. That seems like the best option. Whether we camp at this remote place again or not, I can think of numerous other places we've gone (and plan to go in the future) where a booster like that will come in very handy.

One more clarification about that campsite: There is actually only *one* campsite they rent, that has hookups. The other one does not have hookups, and is almost never rented. Like I said previously, there is one other site with hookups, that the landowners live on, permanently.

We've decided, we will be going back there, probably quite often (as long as neighbors don't shut them down, which I don't believe will happen). Like I said before, its the best of both worlds - Out in the country, nothing but woods, trees around you and a creek, no neighbors within sight, yet still have full hookups. It doesn't get much better than that. ๐Ÿ™‚

There's another piece I didn't tell initially, that I will now: The property is out on a long, large oval road in the country. I went the wrong way around the oval initially - should have turned to the left, went to the right. Entire right side of that oval, was NOT meant for RVs, AT ALL! Low hanging tree branches, deep ruts in the road, banked so much at one point daughter was afraid we'd tip over....The kind of road that probably should only be taken with a 4x4. Despite my stupidity of going that way when never should have, I managed to get through without tearing anything up. That was where I ran into the upset neighbors, and I think they came out to talk to us 'cause they were just shocked to see such a large RV make it down their road when it really shouldn't have, hahaha. Other side of the oval (when you go to the left) where campsites are was/is much better - a fairly well maintained dirt road that is easily passable with an RV. If I'd gone the way was supposed to, never would have run into the neighbors that weren't happy. Soo, part of that was my stupidity, should've listened to the owners when they said to turn left at the entrance to the oval. Won't make that mistake again. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I live in Sauk County in Wisconsin. 5 years ago, Sauk County passed a rule that changed how owners can use their property. If you own land without a house on it, you have to pay $20 per night to camp on your own property. A friend and his family has been camping on family land for years, when the rule went into effect, they were informed that they now had to pay. So much for being able to do whatever you want with your own property. This includes staying overnight in a tent during deer season.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Awhile back in Smith County, Tx a little south of us, there is a shooting range in a rural location that has been in operation for years. A family about 2 years ago buys some land in the area, builds a house & moves there. One day hears the shooting club having a normal day of shooting. The family sue's and gets temp restraining order, Happy ending, they lost in court and the club is back in operation. Look around before buying
I also don't do anything rude or crude at my place so I say don't worry about my place, check your own yard. I would love to watch this irate neighbor stop my SiL when she brings her rv to visit and tell her she can't park at our extra hookup, SiL could scare the devil himself when she gets riled up.

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
westernrvparkowner wrote:
...Can you really blame the neighbors? They likely bought rural property for privacy and peace and quiet...

Yes, I can absolutely blame the neighbors!

I live on rural property in the country, and I don't have any cell service here either. I have not voluntarily accepted additional layers over government over me, such as a HOA. Nor do I live in any sort of established community where a government entity controls what I can & cannot do.

What that means for me is I don't get to complain when my neighbor (several hundred yards away) puts out her annoying little yap dogs for hours on end. Nor does it mean I get to complain about all the stuff she is storing on her property (and charging for), such as tractors & trailers. They are visible from my house, but our out-of-sight for her house.

That also means she doesn't get to complain if I decide to do target practice on my property. Nor does she get to complain if I play loud music on my deck.

That's what rural living is about. I can do whatever I want on my property and the neighbors next door can just deal with it. But I don't get to complain about them either. Being a good neighbor though, I do think twice about popping off a 12ga if she is out riding her horses - that is just being courteous, not some sort of rule forced upon me.

(Notable exception. My right to do what I want ends when my activities affect adjoining property. I cannot, for example, dump toxic waste on my property that would eventually migrate elsewhere.)

My point here is perhaps the neighbors don't know what rural living means. They are free to do what they want, but their neighbors are also free to do the same. If they want to dictate rules to their neighbors, then perhaps they would be more comfortable living in an area with more government and regulations placed upon them.

(As for whether the mini 'RV Park' can legally operate as a business or not, that is a different subject from the neighbors.)

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I am not prepared to offer any advice as to the legality of the "camp" situation is as that is completely in the purview of local governments and codes. If this is in one of the police state of the coasts (East and West) it could be an issue.

But, as to a cell phone "booster". There are more than a few good ones on the market. I have almost always installed (for others for $) and used for my own things that were made by Wilson Electronics. They now market as Weboost. I suggest that you go to Weboost and look over what they say. You don't have to buy theirs to get good advice. I would not be without one when we travel. A lot of this country does not have good coverage.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Surecall Fusion2go 3.0 cell booster and it works wonders.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
sayoung wrote:
bid_time wrote:
sayoung wrote:
Sounds like the mad neighbors just are dark holes at the end of an intestine.
That is an interesting conclusion; given that you haven't heard the neighbors side of the story.

They lost sympathy when they let him know they didn't like folks or him camping there at his arrival. The neighbor ought to plant a tall thick hedge or make a cash offer for the land that's way inflated if they have so many concerns.
I may be wrong to some of ya'll but as a rural land owner in both Tx & Arkansas, what I do there & who I allow is my business . We don't have junk , trash, loud parties, etc. . The only time it's noisy is if I am there and the feral hogs are crossing then it's show time , bang bang

What you do on your land is your business to a point.
But when you start to attract more traffic,disturb the peace and require more shared resources etc. you become everyone's business
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
sayoung wrote:
That is an interesting conclusion; given that you haven't heard the neighbors side of the story.

They lost sympathy when they let him know they didn't like folks or him camping there at his arrival. The neighbor ought to plant a tall thick hedge or make a cash offer for the land that's way inflated if they have so many concerns.
I may be wrong to some of ya'll but as a rural land owner in both Tx & Arkansas, what I do there & who I allow is my business . We don't have junk , trash, loud parties, etc. . The only time it's noisy is if I am there and the feral hogs are crossing then it's show time , bang bang

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
sayoung wrote:

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
OP, would you pin down where this place is at & a phone # . Sounds like a nice place to go.
I keep my rv at our acreage plus have a 2nd site for guests. No problems here. Only guvment item would be a septic permit if we enlarged but if if the land adjoining comes up for sale & we bought it would put us over 10 acres so that gets you exempt from permits.