Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: private land camping questions, cell booster suggestions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> private land camping questions, cell booster suggestions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I do not believe any state agency can prevent a land owner from providing a free service."

Don't believe that for a moment. If it's determined to be a "nuisance" by the local authorities, then all bets are off.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

Seems to me, all the land owner would have to do is not charge for RV parking.
Of course, donations are encouraged, say $25 or $30, to "help defray expenses".
Sorta like the RV dump station at the City Park in Cut Bank, MT. Dumping is no charge, but the last time I used it a $3 donation was encouraged (I dropped $5 in the "Donation Box").
I do not believe any state agency can prevent a land owner from providing a free service.
The government absolutely does prohibit landowners from providing a multitude of "services" regardless of whether or not people pay. Try letting your neighbor tap into the water from a river that runs across your property for irrigation. Without water rights that would be illegal. Can't allow the public to dump their holding tanks on your fields for free, that would be in violation of sanitation laws. You can't let hunters hunt on your property unless the game is in season. Calling it "donations" and not site fees is the same as calling a pig a chicken. The meat is still pork.
As I pointed out earlier, a RV park, regardless of the fees they charge, fall under many regulations and inspections. There are health and safety concerns, concerns for neighbors, concerns for the environment and concerns for those who would use the facilities. It sure isn't a money grab by the state since there is no way the licensing and inspection fees I pay yearly cover the cost of the employees doing the inspections and issuing the licenses. Can and do people put in a few RV sites and fall under the radar, absolutely. But in this case it is apparent that something happened and the landowners are now on the radar screen and it is very likely their mom and pop pseudo RV park is going to be closed down.

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, let me clarify a few things I should have from the get-go:

We are not talking about someone 'running an RV park' on their private farm land. There are 3 campsites, one of which is occupied permanently by one of the landowners (living full time in their RV).

Sooo, a total of just 2 campsites being rented, the other one already being occupied by one of the landowners. And from what I can gather, the 2 rental sites are only occupied very sporadically, they do not stay occupied all the time.

Yes, they do charge a small nightly fee to stay there. Since they are providing 50 amp electricity, sewer, and water, I'd say that is only fair. They're just a really nice older, retired couple that are trying to supplement their retirement income a little.

As to the comments/questions about why I am working remotely and need to do so 450 miles from home: Sorry, that is a long, somewhat personal story I'd rather not get into on a public forum. Its not really relevant to this discussion, anyway, and would just make the thread go sideways even more.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions about various cell phone booster ideas. I see that Best Buy has the Weboost units, I may go have a look at them.

Will and Cheryl
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

OK, let me clarify a few things I should have from the get-go:

We are not talking about someone 'running an RV park' on their private farm land. There are 3 campsites, one of which is occupied permanently by one of the landowners (living full time in their RV).

Sooo, a total of just 2 campsites being rented, the other one already being occupied by one of the landowners. And from what I can gather, the 2 rental sites are only occupied very sporadically, they do not stay occupied all the time.

Yes, they do charge a small nightly fee to stay there. Since they are providing 50 amp electricity, sewer, and water, I'd say that is only fair. They're just a really nice older, retired couple that are trying to supplement their retirement income a little.

As to the comments/questions about why I am working remotely and need to do so 450 miles from home: Sorry, that is a long, somewhat personal story I'd rather not get into on a public forum. Its not really relevant to this discussion, anyway, and would just make the thread go sideways even more.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions about various cell phone booster ideas. I see that Best Buy has the Weboost units, I may go have a look at them.
Depending up the zoning, state and local laws and the like, they may or may not be in violation. Just because they are older and want to supplement their income doesn't exempt them from the laws that determine whether or not it is legal. One of the duties of government is to protect the public. If they are operating a business that requires licensing and inspections and they do not have those items they may be putting the public at risk. Improper waste water disposal can contaminate not only their property but the neighboring properties. It can contaminate the site itself and pass diseases onto the next occupant. Public water systems (and that is what any water system that serves the general public is) must be tested periodically to insure that there are no harmful contaminates. When and if a complaint is filed about a business operating outside of the law it is the duty of the authorities to investigate and, if necessary, close the offending business. In your first post you implied that all is not good in the neighborhood. That this park, or if you prefer, two rental sites on someone's land, has caused problems for the nearby neighbors will likely lead to future actions by the local authorities. Maybe they will inform the neighbors there is nothing they can do because three RV sites are legal or maybe they will shut them down. Without knowing all the state and local zoning and land use laws and how the sites are actually constructed and serviced all we can do is speculate.

FF286

SE Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just looked at their site and they have ones specifically for RV’s. I’m not sure what the differences are but we definitely have been happy with ours.

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, would you pin down where this place is at & a phone # . Sounds like a nice place to go.
I keep my rv at our acreage plus have a 2nd site for guests. No problems here. Only guvment item would be a septic permit if we enlarged but if if the land adjoining comes up for sale & we bought it would put us over 10 acres so that gets you exempt from permits.
Sounds like the mad neighbors just are dark holes at the end of an intestine.

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sayoung wrote:

That is an interesting conclusion; given that you haven't heard the neighbors side of the story.

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bid_time wrote:

sayoung wrote:

That is an interesting conclusion; given that you haven't heard the neighbors side of the story.

They lost sympathy when they let him know they didn't like folks or him camping there at his arrival. The neighbor ought to plant a tall thick hedge or make a cash offer for the land that's way inflated if they have so many concerns.
I may be wrong to some of ya'll but as a rural land owner in both Tx & Arkansas, what I do there & who I allow is my business . We don't have junk , trash, loud parties, etc. . The only time it's noisy is if I am there and the feral hogs are crossing then it's show time , bang bang

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sayoung wrote:

bid_time wrote:

sayoung wrote:

They lost sympathy when they let him know they didn't like folks or him camping there at his arrival. The neighbor ought to plant a tall thick hedge or make a cash offer for the land that's way inflated if they have so many concerns.
I may be wrong to some of ya'll but as a rural land owner in both Tx & Arkansas, what I do there & who I allow is my business . We don't have junk , trash, loud parties, etc. . The only time it's noisy is if I am there and the feral hogs are crossing then it's show time , bang bang

What you do on your land is your business to a point.
But when you start to attract more traffic,disturb the peace and require more shared resources etc. you become everyone's business

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a Surecall Fusion2go 3.0 cell booster and it works wonders.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> private land camping questions, cell booster suggestions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.