cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Highway 24 near Goodland, Indiana...detour question

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite way to get avoid Chicago on the way to Michigan is to exit in Gilman, IL and travel east on Highway 24. Google Maps shows me that there is bridge work and the highway will be closed just past Goodland until the end of August.

Has anyone traveled on Highway 24 recently or know if the detour is pretty far out of the way? I can't tell if we could just detour a couple of blocks away or not.

We will be trying to get to US 31. Have another route planned out (Route B!) but sure would like to use Highway 24 instead.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
4 REPLIES 4

Wi11iamt
Explorer
Explorer
Being i live in this area if ur going east or west on 24 to bypass this detour the easiest way.. simply take state hwy 16..

If your going east on 24 go to 41 go north to 16

If your comming west go to 231 north to 16

Roads are in good shape and not that big of a detour!

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the tip. We'll be coming up from the south and my plan was to pick up Rt 24 at Remington.. I'll just pick up Rt 52 out of Lafayette and then Rt 24 west out of Kentland.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, a detour of a highway must be capable of 18 wheelers.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
GizmosMom wrote:
Our favorite way to get avoid Chicago on the way to Michigan is to exit in Gilman, IL and travel east on Highway 24. Google Maps shows me that there is bridge work and the highway will be closed just past Goodland until the end of August.

Has anyone traveled on Highway 24 recently or know if the detour is pretty far out of the way? I can't tell if we could just detour a couple of blocks away or not.

We will be trying to get to US 31. Have another route planned out (Route B!) but sure would like to use Highway 24 instead.

Heading that way as well, next week, also planning to use US 24.

Checking the INDOT website, looks like the road is closed from west of Goodland to Remington. Detour route posted is to take IN 55 north from US 24 to IN 16 east to the intersection with US 231, then south to Remington to get back on US 24 in Remington.

Doesn't look to be overly inconvenient. Will take a closer look at Google maps, appears there may be some County Roads that will work as well, and not have to go as far north to head east to US 231.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.