Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C rear end sag and banging!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Class C rear end sag and banging!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
whemme

Spencer, IA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your 29' Class C built on a Ford E350 chassis is most probably significantly over loaded on its rear axle. The E350 chassis uses a Dana 70 rear axle rated at 8500 lbs. Your 29' should have been built on a E450 chassis that uses heavier rear leaf springs and a Dana 80 rear axle rated at 9600 lbs. Have you weighed your RV to determine the actual weight on the rear axle alone?

2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whemme wrote:

Your 29' Class C built on a Ford E350 chassis is most probably significantly over loaded on its rear axle. The E350 chassis uses a Dana 70 rear axle rated at 8500 lbs. Your 29' should have been built on a E450 chassis that uses heavier rear leaf springs and a Dana 80 rear axle rated at 9600 lbs. Have you weighed your RV to determine the actual weight on the rear axle alone?

The E450 did not exist in 1993. Some longer Cs were built back then on the E350 with a tag axle but apparently the OPs was not. You are correct, the rear axle is likely grossly overloaded.

rgnprof

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So what do you all think of the 'add a leaf spring' option? Several online companies sell these and they're similarly priced - sounds like it would increase the support by about 2300 lbs.

Probably will replace the shocks as well, although I see no signs of leaking etc...

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgnprof wrote:

So what do you all think of the 'add a leaf spring' option? Several online companies sell these and they're similarly priced - sounds like it would increase the support by about 2300 lbs.

Probably will replace the shocks as well, although I see no signs of leaking etc...

Add-a-springs would have been a decent option when your rig was new. But your rear-end has been overloaded all its life. You really just need new, better spring packs for your rig. Keep the airbags for fully loaded travel, bu the leaf springs should be able to support the empty rig at proper ride height.

FWIW - I bought replacement springs for my rig at my local salvage yard for $50.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

rgnprof

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure what I would be looking for and what would be a good swap - are you saying that most leaf springs - even from a later model 450 will fit my E350 chassis?? How many leafs should I be looking for?

Not opposed to the salvage yard route (love going to my local Pull-a-Part), but I just don't know what I'm looking for.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgnprof wrote:

I'm not sure what I would be looking for and what would be a good swap - are you saying that most leaf springs - even from a later model 450 will fit my E350 chassis?? How many leafs should I be looking for?

Not opposed to the salvage yard route (love going to my local Pull-a-Part), but I just don't know what I'm looking for.

Yes, just find any E450. They all have the same 9450 spring rate, so that makes it easy. Just find the newest set you can. They did offer the E450 with varying leaf numbers over the years, but it doesn't matter since the spring pack rating was always the same. I'd try to find something lower mileage so they won't already be tired, and try to find a set from a body that isn't also over loaded (i.e., take a set from a shuttle bus or box truck rather than a motorhome).

You could go with newer E350 springs, but you'd still likely be overloading them. And since they came with RAWRs from 6,080 to 8,500 pounds, finding the set you want will be harder than just using an E450 set.

From '92 to '19 models, all E-series cutaways have the same spring mounts, so that makes it super simple.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Ryan,

carringb is this forum's resident expert on "everything E-series".

With that said, for reference I went on Rock Auto's website and called up a 2005 E450 chassis rear leaf spring pack. Keep in-mind that you would need two packs.

CLICK HERE to see many Rock Auto options as low as $331.79 per pack, and as high as $577.79 per pack. I think the 5100 pound pack is the one to consider. The 7200 pound pack will be way too much for a 29 foot motor home. Too much capability will vibrate, shake, and bounce your house to death.

carringb's junk yard idea, $50 for two used packs is so much cheaper. Call around for any junk yard E450. They should pull the parts and have them on the office floor waiting for you.....maybe with the bump stops if you ask to include them. Like carringb says, preferably from a shuttle bus that is rarely loaded to capacity. Unfortunately many shuttle buses have air-ride rear suspensions that have gone bad. We get that kind often at our church's auto charity HERE where I volunteer at.

New or used, changing your early 3 layer E350 rear leaf springs to a full 11 layer E450 version makes the most sense to me. Any truck suspension shop should be happy to swap them at a reasonable price. It's what they do, and do it well. Then get a 4-wheel alignment and you will have completed the project. Many truck suspension shops do 4 wheel alignments too.

When all done, you can pitch the air bags leaving you with one less thing to think about.

* This post was edited 07/19/19 08:07pm by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about jumping to the 550 from an E-450?

Will the F-550 fit?

carringb wrote:

Yes, just find any E450. They all have the same 9450 spring rate, so that makes it easy.
From '92 to '19 models, all E-series cutaways have the same spring mounts, so that makes it super simple.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Hank85713

Tucson, Az

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

look at craigslist for dal/ftw and other local areas. I saw some parts vans there with mainly frame and suspension parts. Might require a road trip on your part but...............

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Class C rear end sag and banging!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS