Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: HOW to GET RID of a LOT of GOOD STUFF I Might Use Someday
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> HOW to GET RID of a LOT of GOOD STUFF I Might Use Someday

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maddog348 wrote:

Already over weight ~~ hitch on front don't count??

Front tires are almost never overloaded. I’d say never, but there is probably someone out there that changed their tires to make them overweight. [emoticon] Likewise, anything you can do to get weight off the rear is helpful if you are overloaded since the rear tires on a SRW are almost always the weak point.

Sure, anything on front increases the weight counted to the GVWR. Other than blocking the radiator completely, it’s almost always an improvement. I did have the occasion to carry something in front and my engine overheat lights came on. Turns out the fan clutch had died, but just didn’t notice it with nothing up front.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow an enclosed trailer. We carry more now with the trailer and truck camper combination than when we had a toy hauler. In my case that was the point of our change.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

lucy6194

Cape cod MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doing it. Moving from 5th wheel to B+. Emptied 5th wheel now will put only what we need into new camper. More like what will fit. Some stuff we have never used!

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you're over GVWR, let me ask you this:

1. Did the earth open up and swallow you whole?
2. Did the weight police burst from nearby bushes, tackle you to the ground, and drag you off to Siberia?
3. More realistically, did you feel that you were in any immediate danger driving from home to the scales and back?

It is nigh on impossible to stay under GVWR with ANY 1/2 ton and truck camper combination. You are actually doing quite well only being 20lb over.

Where are you at with regards to axle ratings? It's the only way you're going to be able to make this work without having to kill the dog. As long as you're not over the tire/axle ratings, and you can stand driving it, it is what it is.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

EfonFred

West Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You’ve gotten some good advice. We went from 5 years in anTC to a year in a FW, now back in a TC (thank goodness). We never filled up all of the storage space in the FW so it was relatively easy downsizing. Like others have said in the past here, if it hasn’t been used in awhile, and isn’t one of those emergency items, Bye Bye.

Lesson learned from a friend who survived totalling his truck/camper/boat combination when a DUI crossed in to his lane...EVERYTHING in the cab that is not tied down becomes a flying object that will hurt when it hits. My backseat has been pretty much empty since his experience. Not preaching, just sharing.

2011 Ram 3500 Mega DRW
2015 Adventurer 86SBS

ghooos

yeaop

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never done it, but I guess the mantra to keep repeating is "Do I really need this?" or "Do I really need this many of this ?"

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch, NO ~ No earth swallowing events. No noticible driving problems ~ 'Solid as a rock' like it has always been. Orig worried when all off a sudden began leaning to the driver side. Visually noticed while parked in back yard. Still work in progress. Had to 'duck under' the right rear jack bracket a bit farther than on the left side when working around it. Any way come to find out the Firestone RideRight lines leaking ~ then the bag ~ failed then the other bag. After a few days horsin' with the Tire Shop think we have that sorted out.

Gonna get the corners weighed. Have a mechanic friend with the scales to use to weigh all four wheels. Used them doing mechanic work on race cars. Can bring the set up to the house and scale them right on the driveway. Really very anxious to get this done.

Thanks for your interest and input. ~~~ K

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EfonFred ~ Thanks for the Heads up. Good to review any way. Most of backseat taken up with Dogs crate & 26qt Ice chest. both those items straped down to both seat back and seat, Blankets & other 'fluffy' stuff between crates and back of front seat.

TakeCare ~ TravelSafe ~ Have fun

* This post was edited 07/18/19 12:45pm by maddog348 *

jt301

Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 03:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just choose belongings that spark joy. Lol. Learned that from Marie Kondo.

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jt301 ~~ Boy I wish I'd had a second cup of coffee before looking that one up.

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> HOW to GET RID of a LOT of GOOD STUFF I Might Use Someday
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.