cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We Boost and 5 G?

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
As usual I am late to the Party but as I consider finally getting a proper Cell phone booster for those times when needed, I am now hesitant because of the upcoming 5G frequencies. I've got the standard answer from the manufacturer that, "in a nut shell", we are still years away but I figured I'd ask the experts whether one should wait for what's coming or just take the plunge now and get whatever number of years I can out of the current level of service? Thanks as always...
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)
15 REPLIES 15

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'm not sure where alternative search engines may be available. Do you can to share a link (or three)?

I also don't know the term "blue pill".

ajriding wrote:
You can blue pill yourself and do a google search and not worry about it, or use an alternative search engine and do research and then decide for yourself what is best.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Stay as far away from 5G as you can!

Lemmings.

Look for ways to protect yourself and reduce the exposure to 5G, not to magnify it.

Don't get a 5G capable phone, ever.

5G is coming and faster than you think, but it has broadcast of a very short distance, maybe 500 feet. They will need to install on every other phone poll, so yes, rural areas will not have it and wilderness not at all except for hotspots.

You can blue pill yourself and do a google search and not worry about it, or use an alternative search engine and do research and then decide for yourself what is best.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
if you are far enough away to need a booster you currently are WAY away from any 5G. In fact if your out of the central area of major cities, you are far away from 5G.

I can't currently imagine camping in any area near 5G service.

4G another story

Bingo! - 5g "far away" - (service & service in the boondocks).

Worry about an RV for 2030 instead, ROTFL!

:W

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Internet anywhere is already available. It is expensive and slow, at least by today's lte speeds.

Musk can launch 60 at a time--but the cost is 35 million per launch. It will take 6 more launches before the "constellation" is available.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Ductape wrote:
The new frequencies are short range, it will be a long time or maybe never before they function in rural areas where a booster is a factor.

Elon Musk and Space X is going to be online real soon and internet will be available almost any where, 5G will take a bit before its in most rural areas..

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/05/24/spacex-launches-internet-satellites-into-space.html

Believe it when I see it!

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
The new frequencies are short range, it will be a long time or maybe never before they function in rural areas where a booster is a factor.

Elon Musk and Space X is going to be online real soon and internet will be available almost any where, 5G will take a bit before its in most rural areas..

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/05/24/spacex-launches-internet-satellites-into-space.html

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
I think I pretty well knew that I could go with the WE-Boost and be happy for many years with 4G....heck, I was late getting 4G. Thanks for the info!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
ktmrfs,

The "only game in town" in the winter where I live would have 5G service as it is in an urban area.

I do agree that rural is not going to see 5G at the high frequencies.
Regards, Don

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
At this time the boosters are not being made for 5G.

NOt sure what frequencies 5G uses but Well "Short distance" Let's just say many have been suprised at how "Short" a distance is..
I mean it was not that long ago that the FCC gave we Hams most all frequencies below 160 Meters in wave lenbth (That means abobe about 1.5 MHZ saying "They will never get out of their back yards with those high frequencies")

Well we did.. I've got several cards from stations on the other side of the ocean. (Contact confirmation or QSL cards).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
if you are far enough away to need a booster you currently are WAY away from any 5G. In fact if your out of the central area of major cities, you are far away from 5G.

I can't currently imagine camping in any area near 5G service.

4G another story
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
My understanding is that in rural areas 5G may revert to LTE.

If you get a booster, try to find one that uses Mimo (multiple antennas).

Using a booster may sometimes slow the data rates down, even if there is an improvement in signal.
Regards, Don

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Where is timmac?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
5g is far off, but heck, I'm still buying an 8k television.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...