cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current GM / Chevy Reliability

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Considering getting a new truck. 75% general duties (including hauling ATV's, boats, and other toys): 25% dedicated hauling of either a flatbed or a "camping rig" (not strictly an RV).

The new truck will be a 350/3500 SRW and a diesel.

My question is what the current overall reliability of current GM offerings is?

The truck being replaced is a 11-year old (2009 MY) Chevy 2500 and has been a good truck until the past 18 months when it's crapping out in every conceivable way. Always had a slight preference for GM, but this has taken the shine off GM a bit.

Should I start evaluating 2 brands (blue oval and Ram) or 3 (throwing in the GM)? I'm hoping that this will be my last truck.....
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN
39 REPLIES 39

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
double post
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
"What is "every conceivable way?" I suspect if you list out what has actually needed work, things aren't really as bad as they seem on the surface."

FWIW, without digging out my folder of work, every conceivable way includes what I'd call "mechanical" "electrical" and "Electronics". I don't have all the right names of switches and parts that failed but a bit of a summary list:
- Mileage is circa 100,000 miles (issues have popped up since about 95k and continuing to current circa 110k)
- Brake (discs/drums/actuator) failed: developed holes where there weren't supposed to be any (and without any water immersion or salt use up to the time of failure)... what I'd label as a mechanical issue $1,000
- Injectors failed.. mechanical issue, $8000 (and the injector failure was only determined after a series of 3-4 fuel filter changes at about 1/2 - 2/3 of the expected mileage between changes and when the local lab didn't find anything out of the ordinary in 3-4 samples of diesel fuel supplied)
- O2 sensor failed .... "electronics" issue: $1,000 with labor and parts
- Fuel flow sensor (or similar nomenclature) failed: electronics, circa $750 labor and parts
- Mass Air flow sensor failed....electronics issue, circa $1,000 with labor and parts (probably a bit below $1000)
- Throttle position sensor (IIRC) failed...electronics issue, circa $1000
- Transmission position sensor (or similar nomenclature) failed...electronics issue, circa $1000
- Integrated Trailer Brake controller failed (added aftermarket one for $400)..."electrical"
- Trailer electrical connection failed (perhaps to be expected, but it's one more thing to be replaced): $100
- Transfer Case sending unit (or something like that, vehicle stuck in 4WD), electronic $1500

...and there's more.

The issue is not just the money (although circa $25k all told is significant), its that the electronics failures leave me on the side of the road or in limp mode. I haven't blown the head gaskets nor burned up cylinder heads...so I guess it hasn't failed in "every conceivable way"...but lots of issues that run the spectrum from iron to electronics, so I think a bit of inquiry is justified.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
All trucks are really good these days. It's just a **** shoot as to whether or not you get one of the "problem children". That said, it's best to avoid the first model year of a particular driveline configuration as we're usually being the "beta" testers!

i agree with this

all 3 are good, unless you get a lemon. i would always avoid a first year on anything new

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:

2015.5 just turned 50K. yes, it had the (in)famous DEF heater failure that the dealer fixed quickly no questioned asked along with a free loaner car. And a onstar module that failed and was replaced under warranty again no issues getting it covered.

I'm not sure I don't know of anyone who hasn't had the DEF heater fail myself included in that one. I think I had less than 40k when mine went out. Still love Duramax though and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
my 04.5 duramax is close to turning 200K with minimal issues. front wheel bearings, which was a known issue that latest bearings fixed. One injector under warranty, other than that pretty reliable.

2015.5 just turned 50K. yes, it had the (in)famous DEF heater failure that the dealer fixed quickly no questioned asked along with a free loaner car. And a onstar module that failed and was replaced under warranty again no issues getting it covered.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat. But IMHO GM, Ford, Dodge are such good rigs that it's more a matter of what YOU like best, not what I like best.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"That’s really mature of YOU."

If you haven't noticed they have an unusual friendship. 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
11 years and how many miles? Nothing lasts forever.

What is "every conceivable way?" I suspect if you list out what has actually needed work, things aren't really as bad as they seem on the surface.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Big “C” plus AISIN both true a Medium Duty.

Look on the Highways, vast majority of independently owned RV Haulers and HotShotters drive RAM Trucks.

But they now have hydraulic lifters and a CP4.2 pump so they can't be medium duty.

That’s really mature of YOU.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Look on the Highways, vast majority of independently owned RV Haulers and HotShotters drive RAM Trucks.

But they now have hydraulic lifters and a CP4.2 pump so they can't be medium duty.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Your rational is flawed to say the least. Cummins makes a good engine and they are highly respected, the Duramax and 6.7 Powerstroke are also highly respected. They don't build their motors to be put in non GM or Ford vehicles. You don't know the motivation for that and I don't either, although I can make a few guesses. Maybe they don't want to compete against themselves in selling vehicles. Maybe neither GM or Ford want to be in the business of selling their engines on the open market. Perhaps engine buyers in the market for a medium duty powerplant don't want to help out a competitor by buying their engines? There are a lot of potential reasons, but Ford still controls the MD market in sales (450 and 550), and does it with their own engines. If I were buying a 650 or 750 I would probably pick a Cummins if for no other reason that there are a lot more places to get a Cummins worked on then there Ford dealerships who work on a 650 or 750. You say not "MD enough"? By what standard is that measured? Is there an SAE rating out there somewhere on MD engines showing Cummins makes the cut and the other two don't? Do tell. Cummins is a fine company. I wish them well but I don't want one in a pickup, that is my choice. Your continued self-justification of your purchase goes way overboard, you take fanboy to the next level.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Please show me a production (not specialty) MD truck they are ran in besides their own GM and Ford labels.

International for one???? NOPE

Just because a manufacturer takes the Lego philosophy of production does not negate the validity manufacturing your own product. I don't understand your rational. How many Cummins make trucks do you see? Is the supercharged hemi not a performance engine because you can only get it in a Chrysler product?

Cummins is in the business to make engines. They are the highly respected Company. If the other two were MD enough they would be selling them to other builders.

Until a couple years ago F650-750 had Cummins Diesels and Allison trans. Trans were NOT the same as used in HD GM’s.

I would be curious what their sales were/are between the two power trains.

I think anyone being honest would take the Cummins/Allison combo given the choice in a 650-750.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
2016 2500 Duramax bought new.

42K on it now.

So far:
The power steering box failed (warranty repair in the first year)

The cab developed a leak behind the back seat (found at 300 miles over 36,000 bumper-bumper warranty, so not covered - repaired myself - not fun)

DEF tank heater failed about two months ago (just repaired today due to parts on back order - covered by warranty)

That's been it. Although some of it's been a pain to deal with, it's a short list compared to some of the stories I've read.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

97chevor
Explorer
Explorer
Starting in 2010 after Michigan economy tanked my dad and I went to pulling campers out of factories in Indiana. We have over 2.3 million miles on five GM diesel trucks.

Pictured is a white 2009 with 630 thousand miles. Had the motor replaced around 250k do to bad injector which my dad swears was bad from factory.

The Grey 2010, which was sold at 853k to the transport company I work for down in Indiana. Original motor, dpf filter was replaced around 470k and then whole emmisson delete after I sold it. The guy who drives it now used to drive Dodge. Loves this truck.

Next is the White 2013 I'm currently driving. 643k has had the whole emmisson system replaced once now. And at 595k the fuel injection pump was replaced. This newer truck runs cooler, has more power and better brakes compared to the older ones.

The Red one is a back up truck I bought new in 2013. Cab and chassis model dually has a 9 foot flatbed. 82k miles. Do to the extended length of the bed and the 40 gallon behind rear axle tank the truck does not handle bumper pull trailers as well as the other trucks.

Not pictured is my dad's current truck 2017. Up to 187k miles. Truck needs it's first front end alignment. This newer engine has even more power compared to the 2013s. Downside the hood is higher, lights are not as bright. The truck runs very quite compared to the older diesels, can't really even tell when the truck is working.