cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Bank - wire for 12v, 24v, or 48v?

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I have four 12v 100Ah Battle Born lithium drop-ins. I'm looking towards the future using Victron components:
- 3,000W inverter w/ hybrid load-support
- solar charging

Currently I have a built-in generator for charging batteries.

If I went with 24v or 48v, I'd need a DC-to-DC converter to step down to 12v to run the existing RV systems (slides, lights, thermostat, fans, etc.).

So, what would you go with? 12v, 24v, or 48v? And why?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
22 REPLIES 22

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I agree with you 1000% on boondocking. I love it. I miss it.

This is my goal. We are RV park queens now. We've been slowly breaking our leashes from sewer and then water. Electricity is the next nut to crack.

Thank you all for your input. Itinerant1 asked questions I had. pianotuna, your in-depth responses are appreciated. And GordonThree, thank you too for your responses.
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Itinerant1,

In theory, yes. But things such as switches would need to be rated for 48 volts rather than 12. That might be an issue for circuit boards and etc. too! It would probably be cheaper to do a 48 to 12 volt converter.

I agree with you 1000% on boondocking. I love it. I miss it.

Itinerant1 wrote:
Pianotuna thanks for taking the time for an explanation. I think I understand, sort of.

I'll admit that I'm hooked on boondocking and living off of solar

So in theory a person that has a 12v operating system could use all the same wiring then configure batteries in 24/ 48v get components to match.

Once again thank you.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Pianotuna thanks for taking the time for an explanation. I think I understand, sort of.

I'll admit that I'm hooked on boondocking and living off of solar/ lfp and when the time comes to get off the road it most likely will still be on a piece of property (probably 2 pieces for snowbirding) living of the system. Quite surroundings of the outdoors and not having to go to an rv park was the main reason for the way we built our system for living.

So in theory a person that has a 12v operating system could use all the same wiring then configure batteries in 24/ 48v get components to match.

Once again thank you.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
phemnes,

I think Victron sells LI batteries--perhaps they might have a solution for the wild discrepancy on their battery gauge?

phemens wrote:
Yes, I made all the adjustments to the Victron (Peukert, etc) based on the battery manufacturer's recommendations, but it's still not accurate. We're not talking a small discrepancy, more like the BMV shows 83% charge (with voltage at 13.2?) vs 98% on the BMS panel. And this after a full charge the day before - sitting in driveway hooked up to shore power.

I surely have a setting wrong somewhere, just haven't had time to drill down into it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Itinerant1,

As you know, my personal experience with Magnum has been poor. Perhaps I was expecting too much, or I did not research well enough. The design flaw of not having cooling fans independent of the inverter on/off switch is a potential fire hazard. DAMHIK

It is true that watts are watts. But I do believe that 12 dc to 120 ac is harder to do than 48 dc to 120 ac. The efficiency numbers I found bear that out and the higher the load the worse the efficiency is--based on Magnum's own published numbers.

It is also true that lead acid will droop voltage far more than LI. If one never plans to run the roof air then most heavy loads may be of short duration--so again, in that case 12 or 48 makes little difference--except for the 5% better efficiency. The puekert numbers for LI are immensely lower than for lead acid. But I have heated mostly electrically--so I need long duration high amperage loads to be addressed.

I believe you took a great deal of care in designing your system. I did with mine, too. But mine was designed for at most week long trips. For the first five years, I did not have a generator at all.

Once I moved to full time, (which I had not planned to do) I didn't have enough solar to meet my needs and I ended up, as Mex so wonderfully said, as a "power pole princess". The Load support feature made that possible on a 15 amp shore power from April to the middle of October, except for the GFCI problem that made me tear my hair out. I know that Victron doesn't have any issues with GFCI outlets. And at least two folks I respect on Rvnet have spoken of Outback as being "bullet proof".

The rest of the year I had to have 50 amp shore power, or go south. Faced with redoing my system or spending money on a generator, due to my beer budget, I caved in. However in 2018 I only filled the generator tank up 3 times.

It is my understanding that LI have "cliff" like treatment requirements. Exceed them once, and you may be replacing them. Further they have a definite limit for long term loads as far as amperage goes. It would be quite an "ouch" to find out the hard way. I'd love to have a set of the ones that can be charged at well below freezing--but have never seen them with the number of watt-hours that an RV would need.

In short 48 volts means less money spent on cables, more effective solar, with a less expensive charge controller, more efficiency from the inverter. The down sides are the loss of alternator charging (an inverter could remedy that), and the extra cost of a dc to dc converter for the small 12 volt loads in the RV. The bottom line may be much the same price--but 48 volts may work better.

As I'm now back to not being full time, there will be no more upgrades to my RV, except for minor items, such as a trik-l-start for the generator, so I can leave the remote control active for any trips I take.

I've learned a lot following the folks such as yourself who are trail blazing the way for LI technologies, so thank you for doing so.

I am extremely glad your system meets your needs. Well Done!

Itinerant1 wrote:
Not being argumentative just trying to understand better.

Lately it seems more suggestions are to go with higher voltage always by people who don't use the higher voltage but always claim the next time they'll do it. If it's so great why not do it now using the same wiring you have now (should be little to no V drop seeing it's bigger wire). The only thing that seem your changing is the battery configuration and a couple components.

What exactly will it do in an RV that I'm doing now and have been for years? I know run the AC unit but in order to do that for a long period of time won't you need a larger battery bank so it's not depleted even at 24v or 48v? 12v @ 400ah, 24v @ 200ah 48v @ 100ah all equals 4,800wh it's the same capacity isn't it? Or does this benefit more a lead base battery compared to lfp battery?
Regards, Don

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I don't care if you take the info provided here or not. Good luck

/Unsubscribe
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Not being argumentative just trying to understand better.

Lately it seems more suggestions are to go with higher voltage always by people who don't use the higher voltage but always claim the next time they'll do it. If it's so great why not do it now using the same wiring you have now (should be little to no V drop seeing it's bigger wire). The only thing that seem your changing is the battery configuration and a couple components.

What exactly will it do in an RV that I'm doing now and have been for years? I know run the AC unit but in order to do that for a long period of time won't you need a larger battery bank so it's not depleted even at 24v or 48v? 12v @ 400ah, 24v @ 200ah 48v @ 100ah all equals 4,800wh it's the same capacity isn't it? Or does this benefit more a lead base battery compared to lfp battery?
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
boosting from 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC is a ten times multiplier.

24 volts to 120 is 5 X

48 volts to 120 is 2.5 x

I believe the higher the input voltage the less hard the inverter has to work.

Efficiency of 12 volt Magnum is best case 88%. 48 volt is 93%, again best case.

BTW I'd really recommend Outback or Victron. Especially as the Magnum 48 volt doesn't have the load support feature.

My 3012 Magnum has issues with some GFCI outlets. It has a huge inrush current so doing double conversion is out of the question. It is not recommend for running a roof air conditioner.
Regards, Don

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
If you plan on a large inverter definitely jump to 48 volts. I'd pick Outback or Victron with a hybrid (load support) feature.

Mind me asking why? What's the benefit to the higher voltage?

Less wiring power/voltage loss, basically. First, the currents are correspondingly lower (for the same power consumption), which means one may use smaller wires safely. Second, the voltage drop in wiring is relatively less, i.e. a one volt drop is a smaller percentage drop.

It's the same basic reason, though on a different scale, that utilities use 7 kV or higher voltages to distribute electric power down the street rather than 120/240V. The wire costs much less, and the overall losses are much lower. It's also why it generally makes sense to mount an inverter near the battery and run a longer AC power line from it than to mount it near the device being powered and run a long DC power line.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
One other bonus I thought of, is solar related. Many MPPT charge controllers handle a higher wattage for the same amperage, as the battery voltage is increased.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
If you plan on a large inverter definitely jump to 48 volts. I'd pick Outback or Victron with a hybrid (load support) feature.

Mind me asking why? What's the benefit to the higher voltage?

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I made all the adjustments to the Victron (Peukert, etc) based on the battery manufacturer's recommendations, but it's still not accurate. We're not talking a small discrepancy, more like the BMV shows 83% charge (with voltage at 13.2?) vs 98% on the BMS panel. And this after a full charge the day before - sitting in driveway hooked up to shore power.
Samlex gave me instructions on how to set up the inverter charger (3012) as a 2 stage charger to allow the batteries to trickle down (via parasitic draws) to 80% and then kick in charger to boost back up to 100% - this all based on the idea that it's not good to keep lithium batteries at 100% SOC for long periods of time. I surely have a setting wrong somewhere, just haven't had time to drill down into it.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The existing converter may be used to provide for 12 volt needs. There are many dc to dc units as well.
Regards, Don

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
phemens wrote:
I just did a battery revamp and added 4 lithium batteries, stayed with 12v setup due to pre-existing 12v inverter charger. Very happy with it, They donโ€™t sweat high draw loads, but iโ€™m finding that my Victron 702 is not an accurate indicator of charge. I think it calculates it based on amps out but doesnโ€™t seem to jive with the readings I see on each of the batteries via their BMS panel. Some tweaking to do there. Agree that amps in and out will be the main indicator, but not sure yet how to accurately show that via the 702.

When I installed my BB batteries, they had a document of specific settings for the lithium batteries. Things like Peukert Effect and whatnot have to be adjusted for the BMV to calculate use properly.