cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Narrowed it down to 2

rose090999
Explorer
Explorer
ok, I've been looking for the past year to upgrade to a 25-30' TT and have narrowed my search down to the Grand Designs 2500RL and Forest River Surveyor 27RLS. Anybody have any experience with these 2 models? Quality? Problems? I like the fact that the Surveyor uses Azdel but a little nervous about some of the comments I have read about FR products.
19 REPLIES 19

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
โ€ข The refrigerator must be equipped with fan(s).
I'm a lucky guy.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
My Dometic refer in a slide has worked perfectly for years in 90+ heat. No fans.

The current installation manual says this:

Upper and lower side vent application
โ€ข Choose this type of installation when a roof vent installation is not possible.
โ€ข A baffle should be added.
โ€ข The refrigerator must be equipped with fan(s).

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I can tell quality relates to price.

Grand Design is owned by Winnebago both appear to have a good reputation over all.

Regardless of brand, floor plan is the deciding factor. It remains when all else is forgotten.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I are close to retirement and have been looking at several units,we are patient.
We've had several trailers over the years and all have required diligent maintenance.

We are seeking quality on our next unit and keep coming back to Lance and ORV.

Grand Designs have caught our eyes also and what we've looked at....appear to be above standard....still looking.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My Dometic refer in a slide has worked perfectly for years in 90+ heat. No fans.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:

Rv refrigerators are not the most efficient things out there, but do work well when installed correctly. When in a slide they have no vent stack. With proper installation and correct spacing to create the draft you need to your upper vent and thermal activated exterior fans they can work well. But with the workmanship in an rv it's a crapshoot. It's not the refrigerator, it's the installation.

In addition, you need to provide electrical power to the fan(s). If you boondock, that is just one more draw on the battery.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
rose090999 wrote:
So are there any potential issues with the fridge being in the slide that I should be aware of?

Rv refrigerators are not the most efficient things out there, but do work well when installed correctly. When in a slide they have no vent stack. With proper installation and correct spacing to create the draft you need to your upper vent and thermal activated exterior fans they can work well. But with the workmanship in an rv it's a crapshoot. It's not the refrigerator, it's the installation.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would not have any appliance in a slide. I just donโ€™t like the idea of the flexible lines moving back and forth. Seems like itโ€™s gonna be a matter of time before something pinches or letโ€™s go.
There are so many floor plans with dinette or couch, or both in a slide that I would look at something different.
Others have had no problems with kitchen slides and say theyโ€™re fine.
From looking at RV shows, I have a real hard time believing any one manufacturer is better than another. The fit and finish is pretty bad on all of them that Iโ€™ve seen. But Iโ€™m a woodworker and cabinet maker. My acceptance level may be higher than others.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
rose090999 wrote:
So are there any potential issues with the fridge being in the slide that I should be aware of?
Not in 16 years have I had any refer in slide problems.

rose090999
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
No doubt Forest River RV issues are prevalent on the web, with so many divisions, brands, and models they are bound to have more written about them online. Grand Design RVs have just as many issues since all major RV manufacturers push them down the line and out the door as quickly as humanly possible. I have heard and read that they do have great customer service as it pertains to warranty issues, although the dealer you purchase your rig from has a lot to do with getting it right. Good luck, hope whatever brand you purchase delivers on all your expectations, there is bound to be issues which makes purchasing from a dealer with good customer service after the sale of paramount significance.

Funny how you say they push them down the line and out the door. I watched the video on the FR website of the construction of the Surveyor and it showed what looked like 3 guys frantically welding and constructing the side walls. I'm not sure what FR was trying to show but from my perspective it looked like they were rushing through the construction....:h

rose090999
Explorer
Explorer

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Just by looking at the floor plan of the 2 models, I'd pick the Grand Design. With the slides in, you cannot access the bathroom on the Forest River. Bathroom is accessible with the slide in on the Grand Design.

Lack of access to the bathroom when traveling is a 100% deal breaker for us. Something to think about.....

They both have two doors and about the same bath access, unless I saw the wrong floor plans. I, too want access to the bath and fridge with the slide in and I want to be able to walk all the way thru as well without going outside to the other door.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Just by looking at the floor plan of the 2 models, I'd pick the Grand Design. With the slides in, you cannot access the bathroom on the Forest River. Bathroom is accessible with the slide in on the Grand Design.

Lack of access to the bathroom when traveling is a 100% deal breaker for us. Something to think about.....

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Surveyor and love it. They are not a top end trailer but you get a lot for your money. Right now Azdel is more of a marketing buzz word. Not all of the walls in a Surveyor (or most trailers) are made with Azdel. I would buy another if I was in the market, although my first choice would be a Lance. With 60 or more product lines Forest River is bound to have some bad reviews. Keep in mind that more people post negative reviews than positive. As stated, all brands (even the very best) will have problems. I've looked at the GD and they look very nice. I am also one who does not like the frig. in the slide out.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand