Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: All Aluminum RVs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > All Aluminum RVs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/18/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

GrandpaKip wrote:

With stainless steel fittings attached with SS screws. Some have brass and copper attached, also.


Absolute NO NO!!!

If you go to the boat forums, you will find long discussions of how to isolate aluminum from stainless steel because it cause the aluminum to fail or how a DIY job turned ugly in just a couple years because the guy didn't understand this.

My 52 year old Columbia 8.7 had all SS rigging attached to anodized spars. When you drill a pilot hole, the inside is not anodized. Not one failure for probably a hundred or so screw or rivet points. Most of the couple hundred sailboats at the boat yard where I spent most of my growing up had the same.
Now, the Al in an RV isn’t the same as a boat. I have seen corroded and falling apart Al in various situations. Mainly from little or no maintenance. Electrolysis will eat Al fairly quickly if allowed to.
My original point was that Al is an excellent building material when properly maintained.


Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 07/18/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember the aluminum roof coming off a Boeing jet that was in Hawaiian service a few decades back due to corrosion. They made a safe landing.

Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 07/18/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

GrandpaKip wrote:

With stainless steel fittings attached with SS screws. Some have brass and copper attached, also.


Absolute NO NO!!!

If you go to the boat forums, you will find long discussions of how to isolate aluminum from stainless steel because it cause the aluminum to fail or how a DIY job turned ugly in just a couple years because the guy didn't understand this.

My 52 year old Columbia 8.7 had all SS rigging attached to anodized spars. When you drill a pilot hole, the inside is not anodized. Not one failure for probably a hundred or so screw or rivet points. Most of the couple hundred sailboats at the boat yard where I spent most of my growing up had the same.


Now, the Al in an RV isn’t the same as a boat. I have seen corroded and falling apart Al in various situations. Mainly from little or no maintenance. Electrolysis will eat Al fairly quickly if allowed to.
My original point was that Al is an excellent building material when properly maintained.


Consider yourself extremely lucky.

Perhaps you need to go tell Ford your personal "discovery" and prove them WRONG.

Ford on their aluminum body vehicles in order to interface EVERY possible point of contact with steel HAS INSULATED the contact points WITH PLASTIC INTERFACES.

I know this because I am a owner of a 2019 F250 with aluminum body.

The FEW places that there is some sort of steal screw contacting the aluminum it IS ZINC PLATED (from my searching a stainless steel screw which is ZINC PLATED coating IS RECOMMENDED OVER A PLAIN FULLY STAINLESS SCREW). There is no DIRECT steel OR STAINLESS STEEL to aluminum interface without some sort of buffer.

I am painfully aware of this because I had one heck of time figuring out how and where to mount my Ham radio antenna AND find a good grounding point. Made a 1hr-2hr turn into 5hr-6hr job to fully insure I didn't create a potential point of corrosion to the body.

Per HERE

"Galvanic Corrosion

The process of galvanic corrosion occurs when two different metals are touching each other in the presence of an electrolyte, a fluid that allows the flow of electrons from one metal to the other. As the process continues, one of the metals will deteriorate quickly as its electrons flow steadily to the other metal. When you fasten aluminum using screws made from a different metal, especially in situations where the metal is exposed to salt water, galvanic corrosion may cause significant deterioration of the aluminum base metal.
Aluminum Screws

Because galvanic corrosion happens when dissimilar metals come into contact with each other, the simplest way to prevent the process is to use screws made from the same metal as the metal you're fastening. Aluminum screws will not cause corrosion in aluminum base metal, even if the screws aren't plated or treated with any corrosion-resistant material.

Carbon Steel Screws

Unplated steel screws will cause corrosion in aluminum in a wet environment. They'll rust quickly themselves, as well, so they're not a good choice for fastening aluminum. Galvanized steel screws, however, are plated with a corrosion-resistant coating, usually consisting of zinc, that is not nearly as reactive with aluminum. The zinc plating prevents the underlying steel from coming into contact with the aluminum, and the risk of corrosion of the aluminum is reduced significantly.

Stainless Steel Screws

Stainless steel is an alloy of carbon steel that is, itself, resistant to corrosion. However, stainless steel is reactive with aluminum, and when a stainless steel screw is in contact with an aluminum base metal, the aluminum is likely to corrode. As is the case with carbon steel screws, a plated stainless steel screw is less likely to corrode aluminum; screws treated with a high-quality coating consisting of zinc and aluminum flakes are especially resistant to corrosion.

Brass Screws

Brass is very reactive with aluminum, and brass screws will cause substantial corrosion of an aluminum base metal in a wet environment. The process of galvanic corrosion depends on the presence of an electrolyte, though, so in a totally dry environment the risk of corrosion is low, even if you use uncoated brass screws."


That is just ONE of the websites/resources which say you are wrong, I would highly recommend that you go do some searching and reading..

HERE is a search link that will get you started in the right direction..

To folks who think that aluminum trailers will last longer or are superior to wood stick framed, THINK AGAIN.

Aluminum framing only means they were able to save some weight in the final product, does not mean it is better or superior.

Example, my 2019 F250 "Aluminaduty" weighs 300 lbs LESS than my 2013 F250 steel body truck..

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

Senior Member

Joined: 03/01/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/18/19 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the day they used to make Aluminum Livestock Trailers designed to be pulled by a pickup for hauling hogs. If you had one of those trailers that had a aluminum gate held on by steel hinge pins the gate would be stuck shut within 2 years.

NEnative

NJ

Full Member

Joined: 01/27/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/19/19 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Colliehauler, that Air Hawaii jets cabin did not fail due to corrosion, it failed due to the use of triangular rivets which after years of pressurization/depressurization leads to cracks in the aluminum skin.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 07/19/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NEnative wrote:

Colliehauler, that Air Hawaii jets cabin did not fail due to corrosion, it failed due to the use of triangular rivets which after years of pressurization/depressurization leads to cracks in the aluminum skin.
Thanks for the clarification. I stand corrected.

NEnative

NJ

Full Member

Joined: 01/27/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/19/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Colliehauler, I apologize if that sounded like a jab.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 07/19/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NEnative wrote:

Colliehauler, I apologize if that sounded like a jab.
Not taken that way at all. We need correct information.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > All Aluminum RVs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.