cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12V - 120V Norcold Fridge.

thriftydutch
Explorer
Explorer
Last weekend my electric fridge stopped working on 12 volts.It still runs on 120 volt. I called Thetford but they have no parts for this unit anymore. It is 29 years old. Could the problem be the relay which switches the power supply from 12 volts to 120 volts in the power supply unit be the problem. There is 12 volt power coming in.
I know the fridge is old and I should buy a new one but $1500.00 US is a little rich for my blood especially when paying in Canadian dollars.

1990 L.E.R. Dodge B 250 Class B 17'

11 REPLIES 11

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
thriftydutch wrote:
Problem solved. Put in a new relay switch. Works perfect. Good for another 29 years. Thanks everyone.

Was it hard to locate a replacement relay?

No, I found it in our local electronics store here in Toronto

Now that's what I'm talking about. Good work!

Chum lee

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
Curious about how the compressor is powered with the two different power sources.
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

thriftydutch
Explorer
Explorer
No, I found it in our local electronics store here in Toronto

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!
Was it hard to locate a replacement relay?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

thriftydutch
Explorer
Explorer
Problem solved. Put in a new relay switch. Works perfect. Good for another 29 years. Thanks everyone.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
The use of compressors, freon, evaporators, etc. in refrigeration has been around since around 1920. Just because the original manufacturer (assembler) of your current refrigerator no longer carries parts for your unit does not imply that they are no longer manufactured or available. Just that the manufacturer no longer supports that model in their current line. Often, I've found that mechanical/electrical parts are available, just not from the most convenient or obvious sources. (cabinet, shelving, latches/hinges, trim, excepted) They won't call you, and, most likely, won't return your calls, or, do your homework for you. (there's no money in it) You have to find and contact them. Google is your friend.

Chum lee

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch,

So what I did when mine was dying, get a small inverter and run it on the 120V out of that. It ran well for a few more years before the compressor took a fatal hit.

Mine was a couple of numbers older, but the same idea.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's amazing the info that can be available WHEN a model number is provided.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Page 6 of this manual talks about a relay that automatically switches from 120 volts to 12 volt DC operation. This relay could be bad. There is a fair wiring diagram.
Manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

thriftydutch
Explorer
Explorer
It is a Norcold DE-704D

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What is your model of refer?
There is places to get parts for many older units.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow