Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Which comes first, the trailer or the hitch system?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Which comes first, the trailer or the hitch system?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
bakerkids

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son is buying a Forest River Surveyor 201RBLE and we need advice on a hitch with sway control, and I assume weight distribution. I tow a tiny trailer with no sway or weight distribution so this is foreign to me and I'm no help.

Do people new to camper ownership and towing purchase their hitch prior to purchasing the camper, or does the dealership help choose and set this up for buyers? He wouldn't know how to set it up on his own and would need someone with knowledge to help him.

He is thinking of purchasing this EAZ Lift 48058. I have read enough to know that people are either in the "Anderson" camp or "Equal-i-zer" camp, or whatever their fav is so I suspect people will have hard opinions about brands.

Where does he start? He's working out of state and I'm trying to hep gather this because he has a deadline. Thanks for your opinions!

Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After owning 3 TT's I would skip the EAZ lift and get one with built in sway control. Like an Equalizer type or what I'm using now, a Blue Ox Sway Pro.
The 'All in one's' are easier to use as you aren't dealing with two separate systems. No unhooking to backup like the EAZ lift package in your link.

Most all dealers will set you up initially. I bought my own hitch off Amazon and took it in when I picked up the TT.

bakerkids

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

After owning 3 TT's I would skip the EAZ lift and get one with built in sway control. Like an Equalizer type or what I'm using now, a Blue Ox Sway Pro.
The 'All in one's' are easier to use as you aren't dealing with two separate systems. No unhooking to backup like the EAZ lift package in your link.

Most all dealers will set you up initially. I bought my own hitch off Amazon and took it in when I picked up the TT.

Goducks,
Thanks so much. Could I bother you some more and ask for a link to one that would be suitable?

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blue Ox sway pro is a popular newer hitch with built in sway. It would be a good choice. The dealer will try to sell you what they carry which may not be the best choice.

Whatever you get you should learn how to set it up yourself. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it. It’s really not that hard. The dealer will usually install it for you, or have it included in the deal. Either way, the dealer won’t usually take the time to adjust it properly and it will be set for an empty trailer. You will need to adjust it once loaded up.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Select the trailer and then the hitch. Then you will know what size bars to buy.
I am very happy with a Husky brand spring bar hitch, only a little over $200 for a 6,000 pound trailer. It has separate sway control.

bakerkids

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

Blue Ox sway pro is a popular newer hitch with built in sway. It would be a good choice. The dealer will try to sell you what they carry which may not be the best choice.

Whatever you get you should learn how to set it up yourself. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it. It’s really not that hard. The dealer will usually install it for you, or have it included in the deal. Either way, the dealer won’t usually take the time to adjust it properly and it will be set for an empty trailer. You will need to adjust it once loaded up.

Yes, I believe after initial setup he can make adjustments. I just want someone to set it up and show him. He may be able to have them adjust it after it's loaded instead of prior. Others in my camping group are telling me dealers will usually set it up first. That's not your experience? He should ask that before purchasing.

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your son is buying this TT, hooking his TV to this max7500 pound RV, and loading his family into it, why isn’t he asking all these appropriate questions?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a hot topic. There are many different brands out there and understandably, many different opinions too.

My only real suggestion is to avoid any system that requires an add on friction sway control device. Yes, these work but I choose not to get involved with an added complication when it comes to hooking up. Get an all in one, and there are many to choose from.

I am an Equalizer fan but there are others out there that will do the job as well as mine. Way back when I first got involved, I did not like the idea of snapping chains to engage the hitch. Things are better now so I am not sure that is still an issue. I like the easy of hooking and unhooking my Equalizer. I have over 60k miles on two different trailers and have never had a problem hooking or unhooking either one. I have mine tuned in nicely, have greased the hitch points and have little to no noise. And, more importantly, have never had a sway issue in all the miles and conditions I have towed.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 11:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Missing the other half of the equation....what's he towing it with.
That's a little trailer for a full size rig, hook it up and drag it home, may/likely not need anything at all.
If towing with a mid size truck/SUV then yeah, need a wdh fo sho.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 11:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got the Blue Ox Sway Pro, and I'm happy with it. The dealer wanted twice what I could order it from Amazon for.

Also I would read the install instructions, and watch the manufacturers install video. I would not trust the guy at the dealer, you read many stories on here of dealer guys not knowing what they are doing.

I installed myself and it took less than 30 minutes.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Which comes first, the trailer or the hitch system?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS