Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Which comes first, the trailer or the hitch system?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Which comes first, the trailer or the hitch system?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/19 03:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO, first find the right floorplan/model.
2nd, find the tow vehicle easily capable of towing that floorplan.{especially TV's payload capacity}
3rd, find the right WDH for the tongue/GVWR of the TT.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bikeden has correct answer. Find trailer first. Then truck with payload to handle HW, people quantity and their weights, animals, canoe, kayak, orv's, generator, firwiod, crossed toolbox/fuel tank etc. One may find they need 3000 lbs of payload towing a 6-7000 lb trailer as I was, with 4 adult sized teens. I needed a 3500 crew cab to tow a trailer most 15 series trucks could do! Even the smallest of 6cylinders could pull it. Not saying you would be fastest rig on road.....

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

bakerkids

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

IMHO, first find the right floorplan/model.
2nd, find the tow vehicle easily capable of towing that floorplan.{especially TV's payload capacity}
3rd, find the right WDH for the tongue/GVWR of the TT.

1)Trailer chosen
2)Test driving trucks tomorrow and Saturday with double tow rate of dry trailer (one exception that has only 2k over camper dry weight).
3)This post is all about finding the right hitch once that truck is purchased.

Apparently I've posted too soon, but just wanted advice on who and where does that...private business, prospective buyer, dealer.

Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good questions baker. And good to find a more powerful truck. That 6 banger will tow, but it’ll be at its limits and will be a turd from the getgo.
Sorry, can’t help with preferred wdh. Never used one, but if you ask some folks they’re the next best invention since beer in a can.
It’s also no wonder CW sponsers this board. Some of these discussions sell more “stuff” for RVing than one could possibly imagine. WDHs being one of the predominant items!

Personally, I’d tow the trailer “naked” first and see what’s needed. But thsts me. I don’t like spending $ on something I might not need before I know if i need it based on internet reccomendations.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

mnaquaman

Farmington, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This time around I bought the trailer and hitch first and then went truck shopping! I don't recommend this path but circumstances just worked out that way!

I am an Equalizer guy! I have used the chain hitch in my youth and the Equalizer is just easier!

Another person posted this comment - "A complicated hitch is a bandaid for not enough tow vehicle." No disrespect - I just don't agree with the statement.

A Weight distribution hitch with sway control does just what the name says it does, It transfers a portion of the trailer weight to the truck and pushed the front end down and helps control sway. The hitch bars in essence make the truck & trailer one. Yes - the right truck is an important part of the equation! But if you don't need a one ton truck why buy one? Then again not having enough truck is a disaster - been there once, never again. I am sure there are those that bought a WDH because the dealer said he should! Then there are those of us that have studied and investigated. There is a reason why the vast majority of us use a WDH hitch. We have better control, less wear and tear on the truck, sway control, ect..

Get the right truck, the right Hitch for the combo and enjoy the ride!

Just my thoughts

Happy Camping!!

Randy & Sharon Engelland
Farmington, MN
2017 Jayco 23bhm
2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Which comes first, the trailer or the hitch system?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS