Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2000 Fleetwood Camper - Owner's Manual?

Carolnma
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

My family has just purchased this camper, which happens to be in quite good condition! The previous owner didn't have an Owner's Manual.
Now that we are responsible for care and feeding of the camper, we find that it's impossible to find a manual online. Do any of you know where one can be located? We are first-time camper owners and need education; hopefully starting with this manual. Thanks to any/all for your help.
35 REPLIES 35

Carolnma
Explorer
Explorer
Spouse (Janette) update: We have invested about $7K in this camper, to make it ok and safe for travel cross-country, including installing fantastic vent-fans; we upgraded the suspension with airbags (etc). All along, I told Carol (the "family") that we had to check about the axle and now (finally) we have an answer. I am devastated (at this point), but know that there IS a solution (somehow) to use this camper to go cross-country as we retire/downsize/move to affordable place in Washington, PA. I have heaps of (excellent) family there. So, please only reply with helpful ideas. Thank you.

Carolnma
Explorer
Explorer
Carol Alexander says (information revealed this evening)

Ok, anyone who wants to say I told you so can but we are now in a situation where we have a camper that overloads our F150 -axle maximum- by 1070 lbs. We can tow more weight than we can carry; our maximum tow weight is 5715 lbs. Conservatively, if we put the 2420 lb. camper on a flatbed 6x12 trailer we would be towing 2420 + 1500 + 500 lbs. or 4420 lbs. The tow bar weight will be about 440 to 600 lbs. That would allow us about 750 lbs. more for passengers and cargo. Has anyone tried this or seen it done or have any wisdom about such a move. Selling the camper isn't much an option.

Carolnma
Explorer
Explorer
So, some good news! I shared all of the helpful posts with my family. *Finally* got agreement to do the weighing and review/check out the specifications for the axle. They also say they are looking at a/the smaller Harbor Freight trailer. I hope there is NO trailer involved in this trip.

Carolnma
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the additional information! I will continue to provide your knowledge to the family.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Carolnma wrote:
Our F150 is a 2016, and we are adding an airbag package
that allows us to carry 5,000 lbs...

While airbags will allow supporting more weight without overpowering suspension,
they do not increase the axles capacity (or rest of truck) to carry more weight than it was designed for.
At best your truck is 3200# payload, likely 2200# or so.

Carolnma wrote:
Our tires, when inflated to 45lbs, ca carry 9,000 lbs. ...
GVWR?
Simple 2016 F150 chart, curb weights/Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)/payload capacities.../2016/ford f150 specs/

As to the trailer, adding to what already is a marginal setup Id nix that idea. Yes would be nice but really, you need to draw a line somewhere. I'll withhold my opinions on towing an h/F bolt together trailer 2600+ miles. Your issue is truck. Hopefully this isn't a decision that is up to "the family" as it seems interjecting information contrary to others conclusions.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
You like to make statements on subject you have no idea about. ...
Than with upgraded tires the trailer has seen it all. All the way to the point when axle slightly bend,

Sorry, i thought it was easily overloaded, and you bent the axle. I must have been wrong.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:

For the record, the little Harbor Freight trailer rating is 1090 lbs. By the time you add sides of almost any type and a spare and trailer jack, you are way below 1000. You can bet it has at most 1500 lb axles. Plus it has tiny wheels which will be spinning really fast at any reasonable interstate speed. That’s a recipe for bearing destruction especially in hot weather. That is, if you are lucky enough for the trailer to stay bolted together.

You like to make statements on subject you have no idea about.
So FYI, I used the 1000 lb trailer in my construction jobs. Even I had duallies most of the years, for smaller loads I prefer to drive Mercedes with trailer behind it. Not only more comfortable ride, but loading, unloading on trailer is much easier and I liked the option of leaving the trailer with load on it at jobsite.
So even on original wheels the trailer has seen 1500lb of lumber on it.
Something you fail to to understand is that it is trailer axle rated for 1000 lb, when you can put additional 300 lb on tongue and still not overload the axle.
Than with upgraded tires the trailer has seen it all. All the way to the point when axle slightly bend, but that did not bother me at all for next 20 years.
I used is mostly as frame trailer, so when I had to turn around in tight spot, I just put the car to P, went outside, lifted the end of the trailer and moved it on the other side.
Those are the things you can never do with a pickup.
Still the trailer situation has no bearing on TC on F150, where overloaded tire blow can have tragic consequences.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
As far as the trailer is concerned. The little Harbor Freight trailers aren’t really designed to go cross country although I suppose someone has done it.

Not really the weight police, but sounds like you are taking a lot of chances and need to buy a truck or change plans.

I had 1 of those trailers for 26 years and sold it to a friend this year.
Mine was routinely overloaded and at the end I carried 3000lb garden sculpture on 1000lb trailer via my backyard.
Originally those trailers come with cheap tires, but Less Schwab carries the size with much higher rating.
I used the trailer few times on 600 miles trips just fine.

Like I said, someone has probably done it. I’m not sure why you bothered to get a DRW, a F150 would have carried your camper just fine. Think of the money you wasted. Joking ...

For the record, the little Harbor Freight trailer rating is 1090 lbs. By the time you add sides of almost any type and a spare and trailer jack, you are way below 1000. You can bet it has at most 1500 lb axles. Plus it has tiny wheels which will be spinning really fast at any reasonable interstate speed. That’s a recipe for bearing destruction especially in hot weather. That is, if you are lucky enough for the trailer to stay bolted together.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Carolnma
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my, thank you SO much for this information. I am going to share it with my family. I am glad to know that my concern is shared by people who know what they are doing!

The current plan is to take a southern route (route 66-ish). I will find out more about the route (e.g. any mountainous terrain).

We definitely will be using this particular camper/truck combo; I'm just looking to make it as safe as possible given the current situation and constraints.

Again, many thanks, and 'will check in again with you soon.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
As far as the trailer is concerned. The little Harbor Freight trailers aren’t really designed to go cross country although I suppose someone has done it.

Not really the weight police, but sounds like you are taking a lot of chances and need to buy a truck or change plans.

I had 1 of those trailers for 26 years and sold it to a friend this year.
Mine was routinely overloaded and at the end I carried 3000lb garden sculpture on 1000lb trailer via my backyard.
Originally those trailers come with cheap tires, but Less Schwab carries the size with much higher rating.
I used the trailer few times on 600 miles trips just fine.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suspension upgrades have accounted for most of the dialogue but since we live In the same area, what route are you thinking to get back east? I80 is pretty direct and my concern is just our own mountain ranges. Coming into Truckee, I would not want the truck and camper you're packaging together. The mechanical side of you truck (motor, cooling, transmission, brakes)would push some component beyond it's limits. Once one fails, there is bound to be collateral damage to others.
This is not meant to discourage the process, but after hauling around our camper on a 2008 GMC diesel dually fully loaded up, I encountered scenarios that made me second guess what we were driving.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III

Camperfam4
Explorer
Explorer
I too am from California and relocated to the east coast. Best move ever. The camper and truck combo you have is most likely not going to be safe. As previously stated the axel is not designed to cary much weight. There are other parts to the equation to be considered. Your breaks are not designed to stop that kind of weight. Your paper thin aluminum bed will most likely have damage from the weight of the camper. Once all your possessions, pets, water, food and people are loaded I think you’ll find you’ll be significantly overloaded. BTW, yes the air bags are rated to 5k lbs but that DOES NOT INCREASE your load carrying capacity it allows you to level and stabilize your load. Also, manufacturers, contrary to the belief of some, do not build in that much extra capacity into their vehicles. It cuts into their bottom line. They maybe build in 10% and that’s it. I used to build emergency response vehicles and have had very frank and honest conversations with factory reps and have seen the consequences of building beyond spec.

I know I’m going to be skewered for being the weight police, but this is my experience. Take it for what it cost.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Driving on the scales is always strongly advised.
When I was in East Bay - Martinez gravel yard would allow driving on their scales for free in the afternoon (they would charge for certificate).
How touchy is the weight is my last experience driving back from Alaska.
Even I knew my camper is heavy, with my dually I had lot of capacity, so it wasn't my big worry.
So carrying some rocks and stones, some souvenirs I used Oregon weight station, that leaves the scales on when they close. To my surprize wet & loaded camper turn out way over 6000lb.
I still was save, but the margin become pretty thin.