Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: In search of a heater !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This isn’t a commercial, but rather a request for links or websites where I might locate some sort of heat transfer device that I can install in place of the engine heated portion of a now replaced water heater to heat the inside of my Motorhome while underway!

Long story short. I replaced a wonderful Ten Gallon Water Heater which had a copper coil that circulated Engine Heat to the Fresh Water Heating tank with a less costly Gas Only 12 Gallon Water Heater .
The resulting Supply of Engine heated Water is just running through a rubber Pipe which is really a waste!
What I would like to do is add in line and under the Kitchen counter a Bus Type Heater to provide an easily controlled heat source to the main living area of the Motorhome.

I can’t seem to find a ready source for this type of heater!

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 11:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe one of these will work for you
Universal Car Heaters

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Princess Auto, there’s one in Victoria.

Fantastic customer service and product in store so you can get hands on before buying.

I’ve bought a few of them from PA for aux heating in snow removal equipment. I even put one on a wood splitter so there’s an extra source of cooling in hot weather and a hand warmed / glove drier in cold wet weather.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is one I was really looking at to replace my way too hot Propane Furnace for my off-road camper...

[image]
google image

I would create a couple of heat zones and use the hot water from hot water heater setup...

Aqua Hot has a slightly bigger model 200 as well... I also found a baseboard mounted heater you can run hot water thru it...
[image]
google image

Something like this idea perhaps... This is as far as I got with this project but it has merit... For the smaller POPUPs and TT trailers maybe...

A Camper up in the northern parts of the USA came up with this idea and said it worked out great for him... Since the HOT WATER FLOW is in a closed loop it didn't require a whole lot of use of his propane to keep the water hot...

[image]
Roy's image

Just passing along giving you ideas??? I think this is called hydronic heating haha... A whole bunch of us was talking about this a few years back... It is so simply it's crazy...

I'm still working on my Battery upgrade haha...

Roy Ken
[image]

* This post was last edited 07/17/19 07:49am by RoyB *   View edit history

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is something I'd like to try in my RV, one of these days.

One thing that my mind ponders on, is using heat exchangers not approved for potable water.

I don't drink a lot of hot water, but I do use it for cooking, showering, hygiene, etc. I thought maybe a computer cooling radiator would be safer, since they have to comply with ROHS, so lead free solder, etc.

* This post was edited 07/17/19 08:57am by an administrator/moderator *

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Surplus Center has a few suitable-looking units available at the moment.

Since this is for the engine coolant loop, and not tied into the potable water system, there's no need to be concerned with it being drinking water safe.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

This is one I was really looking at to replace my way too hot Propane Furnace for my off-road camper...

[image]
google image

I would create a couple of heat zones and use the hot water from hot water heater setup...

Aqua Hot has a slightly bigger model 200 as well... I also found a baseboard mounted heater you can run hot water thru it...
[image]
google image

Something like this idea perhaps... This is as far as I got with this project but it has merit... For the smaller POPUPs and TT trailers maybe...

A Camper up in the northern parts of the USA came up with this idea and said it worked out great for him... Since the HOT WATER FLOW is in a closed loop it didn't require a whole lot of use of his propane to keep the water hot...

[image]
Roy's image

Just passing along giving you ideas??? I think this is called hydronic heating haha... A whole bunch of us was talking about this a few years back... It is so simply it's crazy...

I'm still working on my Battery upgrade haha...

Roy Ken
[image]

I've been gathering info on parts and products to do this very mod to my rig. How cool to see someone else is on the same track. Makes me feel like I'm onto a reasonable thought process. I'd logged info on food safe recirculation pump and heat exchanger. Now I'm a little more pumped up on the idea. My biggest hurdle was trying to find a fan or blower that used less than 2a/hr but still moved sufficient air.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Denali. 2015 Creekside 20fq w/450 watts solar. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

John Wayne

Long Beach, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not get a long thin transmission cooler run the water through that and just put a fan behind it so when you want the heat just turn on the fan.

John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS