cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevy dually load range E tire pressure

dennych1
Explorer
Explorer
Can people tell me what you run tire pressure on front and back dually tires with a loaded 5k truck camper on.
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
10,600 lbs gross with 235/86-16 E-rated tires, RAW 6,850lbs, FAW 3,750lbs. Fronts at 50psi and rears at 60psi, and that's 5-7 psi more than manufacture load-vs-weight inflation.

The S&S is just over 4,500lbs ready to camp
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It is everywhere but on rvnet. Where people have been complicating the simpler things in life since 2003!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

zzyzxpat
Explorer
Explorer
Is not the max weight rating of a tire at the max pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire, ex. 265/75/16... 3415 rating @ 80lbs?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I drove on scales with my TC and about 5000 lb of camper + 120lb generator on front hitch calculated to 70 psi front and 60psi rear.
I added 5 in the rear as safety precaution.
Without front load it would come to 65 psi all around - aluminium bed that is about 300 lb lighter than steel.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
If you were to load a DRW truck at the rear tire ratings, your rear axle would be carrying 50-60% more than the axle is rated for and the GVWR exceeded by 80-100%. There is simply no argument that such a load could ever be safe. DRWs have a lot of excess tire capacity

Jeeez....Read what I said and note at the bottom of my reply I said "like my truck".
My older 3500 drw has LT225/75-16 E tires at 2470 lbs capacity for "dual application". Four of them = 9880 lbs total.
This truck also has a 8200 rawr.
Now having said that I have no idea what year model one ton DRW truck your talking about.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
dennych1 wrote:
So the card on door jam is tire pressure fully loaded?

Yes, it is fully loaded. This will cause slightly more wear in the middle of the tread in situations where the truck is not fully loaded, but it is better than being underinflated.

If you want to be spot on you need two things:

1. Actual weights on each wheel.
2. Manufacturer's inflation chart for your brand and size tire.

Anything else you're just guessing. Most people can guess okay enough to get by.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

dennych1
Explorer
Explorer
So the card on door jam is tire pressure fully loaded?

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
GMC door sticker on my dually says 70psi front, 65psi rears.....when loaded for big trip I am just over my GVWR.....I run 70psi front, 72psi rears.....tires run good temps at speed and corner really good. I have had an issue with two OEM valve stems rubber blowing out like it was rotten....GM replaced all 7 with solid metal screw in stems under warranty, but insisted there was no problem or recall on OEM ones....hmmmm?
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
I would forget the vehicle makers door sticker psi as they have no idea how much load any truck will carry which may be at the lower GVWR/tire placard rating or full RAWR/tire loads which may be a couple of thousand lbs more.....like my truck.

If you were to load a DRW truck at the rear tire ratings, your rear axle would be carrying 50-60% more than the axle is rated for and the GVWR exceeded by 80-100%. There is simply no argument that such a load could ever be safe. DRWs have a lot of excess tire capacity.

To the OP, I would use the door sticker ratings. For my SRW it is 75 psi front and 80 rear, for a DRW it would normally be the same in the front and 65 psi rear. DRW trucks have more tire capacity in the rear than the rest of the truck could ever handle, 65 psi will be plenty.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
70 psi in the fronts and 65 psi in the rears.

that is the psi what I run in my older 3500 DRW. This truck runs full axle/tire loads with my heavier GN trailers.
I would forget the vehicle makers door sticker psi as they have no idea how much load any truck will carry which may be at the lower GVWR/tire placard rating or full RAWR/tire loads which may be a couple of thousand lbs more.....like my truck.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
70 psi in the fronts and 65 psi in the rears.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
at that weight, I would consider the truck "fully loaded" and I would follow the manufactures recommendations placard which is probably on the door jam.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.