Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Limited selection
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Limited selection

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Bobmontana

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My local dealer carries Columbus, Columbus Compass and Crusader fifth wheels. In your experience, which one is the better unit. We currently own a Sabre and may trade it in on one of the new mid bunk models. Thank you.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Neither one is better than the other. They are all pretty much the same quality. If you want a better unit I suggest that you look at the Grand Design line.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobmontana wrote:

My local dealer carries Columbus, Columbus Compass and Crusader fifth wheels. In your experience, which one is the better unit. We currently own a Sabre and may trade it in on one of the new mid bunk models. Thank you.

Get online and shop around to find the exact floorplan you like, then start looking at dealers. Do NOT be afraid to not deal locally since you're likely to be 1) doing your own repairs due to backups at the selling dealer and can't wait for them to work you in or 2) on the road and away from your selling dealer so can't wait to get back home or for a non-selling dealer to work you in. Find a mfr that =will= allow mobile repairs and =will= send them parts when you're away from home. This is for warranty stuff. After that's done, you're on your own, but you face the same issues above.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

topjimmy

Washington Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon]What makes ya think GD's are better than any other brand out there???? I have two friends with them and they have the same problems as any other brand,I have met a few folks with a Columbus over my 8 years of full timing and I have not heard them complain Pick a 5er ya like do a good P.D.I. and go with it
TXiceman wrote:

Neither one is better than the other. They are all pretty much the same quality. If you want a better unit I suggest that you look at the Grand Design line.

Ken

2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2004 2500HD GMC Short Bed, LB7 Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Jlsr

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Columbus would be slightly better finishes than the Compass series or the Crusader. Our previous 5th was a Columbus .. very nice RV but I didn't like the kitchen layout. Personally I'd look for a used high end rig .

2015 Lifestyle Luxury RV LS36FW

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

topjimmy wrote:

[emoticon]What makes ya think GD's are better than any other brand out there???? I have two friends with them and they have the same problems as any other brand,I have met a few folks with a Columbus over my 8 years of full timing and I have not heard them complain Pick a 5er ya like do a good P.D.I. and go with it
TXiceman wrote:

Ken

topjimmy, I agree 100%. GD has done an amazing job of building a cult-like following and squelching naysayers. They use the same crappy components as everyone else and their builds are done just as quickly as all the rest.

I will say, their customer service seems to be slightly above the rest. At least, before they got bought out a few years back.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyway, for bobmontana - for me, floorplan is way more important than specific manufacturers. Of those 3, I like Columbus better than the rest.

However, if the Compass or Crusader had an ideal floorplan, that's what I would buy.

Well, floorplan and cargo carrying capacity- my family packs heavy and we need all that we can get.

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

They use the same crappy components as everyone else and their builds are done just as quickly as all the rest.

So with that logic, why would I spend 6-figures on a DRV when I could by Forest River Salem for mid-20's?

I'm far from being a GD fan-boy, but having spent lots of time in other RV's of comparable class, the GD is a better-built, better quality unit. I did the research before buying our current GD. They're not trouble-free all the time, but it's very easy to see how they stand out.

However, none of this answers the OP's question because GD is not an option he has (or is offering to explore).

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

GHop

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go with what you like. My buddy has a GD and love's it. Whenever he had an issue they responded right away and ship it right out. We have a Northwood Arctic fox and love it. The only problem we've had is broken pendants lights due to the roads. Which one does your wife like? Good luck and happy travels.

G.H.

topjimmy

Washington Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 11:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

O.K. like I said I have met and been inside and talked to a few folks in my travels with a Columbus and they are a nice 5er and up to par with my Montana, Grand design or ony other brand in it's class just my 2 bits from a guy who has been in an seen them all in 8 years on the road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Limited selection
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.