cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Spigot / Thread Issues On Sites

AutomationIsCom
Explorer
Explorer
I dont know who comes to these camp sites and tries to connect a pipe wrench directly to the spigot threads but MAN, are they sometimes completely destroyed. Last weekend I had to use my fresh water tank for water because the water access spigots threads were 95% gone (only one single thread remained at the top which allowed large amounts of water to squirt through when turned on).

In these cases, and in general (like at a dump station where they have purposefully cut out the threads so you cant hook up a hose) what do you guys do? It seems pretty common. I was even at a campsite with two RV spots w/ electric only and the ONLY fresh water spigot was purposefully dismembers to NOT allow a hose connection. Is this just a common thing? Does anybody have any devices that can aid in these situations? Using my hand to "CUP" the hose and spigot to attempt to fill my camper up with water is just way to much work in my opinion hah.
14 REPLIES 14

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
A few people think that because a hydrant is near their campsite it is for their personal use.

Depends on the campground. We stayed at a state park in NY and the office staff told my friend he could stay hooked up as long as he put in a "Y" first.

We drove back through the campground and there was a hilarious set of 5 "Y"s all daisy chained together. I still wish I had gotten a picture of it.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Some state parks have hydrants scattered throughout the campground and are for use by everyone to fill their jugs. A few people think that because a hydrant is near their campsite it is for their personal use.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
I stay in 30-40 campgrounds a year and have never experienced this. Where are you staying that it's so common?

As for the threads purposefully cut, that's where the Water Bandit comes in handy. Has a rubberized end for a slip fit over the spigot and then hose threads on it.

Agree. A Water Thief is one of our go to accessories and works great for refilling at campgrounds with a central spigot with no threads.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think that I have ever encountered this. The worse thing that I encountered a time or two was that the spigot handle striped and couldn't turn it on or back off, and one time, the entire handle was gone. The few times, someone was there was fix it pretty quick for us... I do carry a little water in the fresh water tank even if we have hook ups for the road and incase something like this happens to get us by for a night if needed, but I don't carry full for the weight, unless we don't have hookups at all.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Spigots where the threads are intentionally missing are that way for a reason. At a dump station, it is likely code that there must be a non-potable water source if water is provided at the dump site. This is to be used to wash down spills and the like. It can very well actually be potable water, but it must be clearly marked non-potable and designed so someone cannot use it to fill water tanks.
Another likely reason is the spigot is connected to a low yielding well that has a very limited amount of water in the well casing. Running the spigot for an extended period of time will run out all the water and potentially damage the pump either by running it without water running thru it causing it to overheat or by it sucking debris from the bottom of the well, damaging the impellers and clogging the intake.
If the threads are just mangled by some jack arse with a pipewrench, contact the office. They have no way of knowing until someone complains. Inspecting the threads on faucets isn't part of the routine at any park I know.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Many campgrounds have smooth un-threaded faucets, precisely so we can't attach our hoses.
Unlikely at a campsite.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many campgrounds have smooth un-threaded faucets, precisely so we can't attach our hoses. The water thief/water bandit is a lifesaver.

One tip, though -- when you are using the bandit, don't turn on the faucet real hard or real fast. The bandit can pop off due to the pressure, getting you all wet.

Please do not ask how I learned this.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Have experienced this to some degree, worn threads. I carry teflon thread tape.
I fill my fresh water tank before every camping trip and use for showers,soft water. Lol

AutomationIsCom
Explorer
Explorer
That water bandit is 100% what I am looking for. Thanks guys.

And just a followup to the question about how common it is, I am sure its just been a combination of bad luck or timing but I have had my last 2 of 3 camping experiences has issues with threading on my fresh water supply. Bad luck I guess. Thanks for the tip.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
AutomationIsComing wrote:
Does anybody have any devices that can aid in these situations?
The device I'd try is the cg office and ask if they can replace it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We always use the Fresh Water Tank.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
X 2 on bandit

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I stay in 30-40 campgrounds a year and have never experienced this. Where are you staying that it's so common?

As for the threads purposefully cut, that's where the Water Bandit comes in handy. Has a rubberized end for a slip fit over the spigot and then hose threads on it.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it happens when the backflow preventer is taken off without loosening the set screw.

Just guessing.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.