cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck with 5ver towing a boat

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
On my last trip I saw two trucks with 5th wheels attached and boats in tow.

My brother thought this was only legal in California if the trip originated in Nevada as the laws were different.

Where can I get more information about this?
There is something special about camping in an RV.
44 REPLIES 44

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:

I doubt hardly anyone carries flares, and few carry reflectors.

I carry flares.

Bedlam
I carry one reflector triangle in my truck and four collapsible reflector cones in my trailer. I've done this for my safety for many years without regard whether it is required.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at that link. I did not realize every state had towing speed restrictions, most are 65. I knew CA was 55.

That chart also has a column for "reflectors" and "flares" .
In many states you are required to have either those triangle reflectors or a set of flares onboard when towing something. In my state I thought it was either/or, but the cart list both as a "Yes".
I assume the "reflectors" column is for those road side reflectors. Does anyone know more about this?
I doubt hardly anyone carries flares, and few carry reflectors.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
CA it's legal with endorsement. I can and do double tow there since I am licensed SD. I have double towed thru OR and WA 3 round trips now without issue. I am guessing they don't care since I am licensed SD.

trouper just either didn't see you in oregon or decided to ignore you. It's not legal in oregon. Occasionally they have set up stings on the idaho/OR border with folks double towing to to to a popular boating site in eastern oregon. If you get caught, usually near a rest stop, they ticket and make you drop the second rig at the rest stop.

Occasonally the rest stop has a slew of un attached boats.

SD license won't get you off the hook.

If you are towing comercial with a double endorcement you are ok. I have ex trucker friends who towed double and triple rigs for work and they can't tow a double rec vehicle even with the endorcement in oregon.

It seems to be near the Idaho border that most of the stops occur.

Oregon also has a 60 (maybe 65) ft length limit that pretty much would eliminate doubles unless the 5ver was pretty short or the second trailer pretty short. So techically they could get you on length as well.

By contrast MT allows doubles and IIRC doesn't have a length limit. I've seen some pretty long rigs in MT.

Last trip thru Oregon was from SE corner to Portland then to WA North on 5. I have traveled North and South OR and WA for the last three Summers. No issues. I understand itโ€™s not โ€œlegalโ€. I am willing to receive the consequences.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check with DMV. It is legal in Nevada. So are triple trailers behind semis. Almost everything is legal in Nevada.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
CA it's legal with endorsement. I can and do double tow there since I am licensed SD. I have double towed thru OR and WA 3 round trips now without issue. I am guessing they don't care since I am licensed SD.

trouper just either didn't see you in oregon or decided to ignore you. It's not legal in oregon. Occasionally they have set up stings on the idaho/OR border with folks double towing to to to a popular boating site in eastern oregon. If you get caught, usually near a rest stop, they ticket and make you drop the second rig at the rest stop.

Occasonally the rest stop has a slew of un attached boats.

SD license won't get you off the hook.

If you are towing comercial with a double endorcement you are ok. I have ex trucker friends who towed double and triple rigs for work and they can't tow a double rec vehicle even with the endorcement in oregon.

It seems to be near the Idaho border that most of the stops occur.

Oregon also has a 60 (maybe 65) ft length limit that pretty much would eliminate doubles unless the 5ver was pretty short or the second trailer pretty short. So techically they could get you on length as well.

By contrast MT allows doubles and IIRC doesn't have a length limit. I've seen some pretty long rigs in MT.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
When was the last time you had a disagreement with a
highway patrolman...and won? ๐Ÿ™‚

A County Sheriff offered me a shot of vodka last night. Of course he is retired and we were at a BBQ at his house.
But you didn't argue with him did you? ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
When was the last time you had a disagreement with a
highway patrolman...and won? ๐Ÿ™‚

A County Sheriff offered me a shot of vodka last night. Of course he is retired and we were at a BBQ at his house.

paramedic586
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:
bikendan wrote:
DarkSkySeeker wrote:

My brother thought this was only legal in California if the trip originated in Nevada as the laws were different.

California allows it IF the first trailer is a 5th wheel and the whole combo is under a certain length.

I couldnt find it and I want to see the veh code that says it must me a 5th wheel

Hey, new to the site. Thought I would chime in on this one. In California, like some have said, you can only pull doubles/triples with a valid Comerical drivers license and doubles/triples endorsement. So if you look in an RV handbook it will tell you you can't tow doubles. So now you have to go back to the comercial handbook. Maybe a commercial driver can chime in, however, I don't think commercial vehicles double bumper pull in California. That is why I think most people are saying only fifth wheels can legally tow doubles.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
DOT had not put up reduced speed signs for a construction zone yet. He had passed me a couple miles back in a hurry. The pavers were still getting ready. A mile or so after the starting point of the construction area that had no reduced speed signs yet I was doing 70 on I-90 in Eastern WA.

On a turn ahead to my left out physically jumped a State Patrolman waving his arms to pull over. I did so and waited for him to pull in behind me.

Ha asked if I knew why he flagged me over. I said no. But in reality I did know. I told him I was not speeding and told him to contact DOT and verify no signs were up yet and the DOT guy flew past me a few miles back.

He was quite irritated by this! Of course he had to get the last word in.

โ€œMake sure to stick to 55 thru the construction zoneโ€ he said. He was an overly aggressive jerk.

If you were towing during this time, your speed limit was not 70 mph...

I was not towing, I was driving our Suburban at that time.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
DarkSkySeeker wrote:

California allows it IF the first trailer is a 5th wheel and the whole combo is under a certain length.

I couldnt find it and I want to see the veh code that says it must me a 5th wheel
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:

When your current state and drivers license class allows is fine everywhere. Two things some states dont allow doubles towing period and you have to comply with every states length restrictions
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Bedlam
Cummins12V98 wrote:
DOT had not put up reduced speed signs for a construction zone yet. He had passed me a couple miles back in a hurry. The pavers were still getting ready. A mile or so after the starting point of the construction area that had no reduced speed signs yet I was doing 70 on I-90 in Eastern WA.

On a turn ahead to my left out physically jumped a State Patrolman waving his arms to pull over. I did so and waited for him to pull in behind me.

Ha asked if I knew why he flagged me over. I said no. But in reality I did know. I told him I was not speeding and told him to contact DOT and verify no signs were up yet and the DOT guy flew past me a few miles back.

He was quite irritated by this! Of course he had to get the last word in.

โ€œMake sure to stick to 55 thru the construction zoneโ€ he said. He was an overly aggressive jerk.

If you were towing during this time, your speed limit was not 70 mph...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"In your post YOU stated you knew you should of slowed down, people on the road is sign enough"

Maybe you should re read what I said!!!

I said the Pavers were still getting ready. Did I say anything about them being on the road???

To be more clear, they were all standing around the on ramp staging area drinking coffee. There were NO signs placed! did you not understand the dOT guy was late???

I did NOT say I knew I should have slowed down. I said I knew WHY he was pulling me over.

There was NO reason to slow down. If I had not been aware of all the info going on prior to being pulled over and spoke up to the FACT they did not have their CHIT together I would have been written a ticket for NOTHING.

This is why I only gave s aimple yes I disputed being pulled over and did not elaborate in my first post.