Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Truck with 5ver towing a boat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Truck with 5ver towing a boat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

I thought that MN allowed a pickup/5er/boat combination only.
bumpy
That's correct, and the 5th wheel has a maximum length. My BIL was informed by a Minnesota state trooper that his 31.5' 5th wheel was 6" too long.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lwiddis

Near Cambria, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“California allows it IF the first trailer is a 5th wheel and the whole combo is under a certain length.”

Yes, bikendan, but they are rare. I stare at them!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 12:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Other than a drivers license there is no reciprocity on driving laws between states. Can't exceed speed limits for example. Double towing if allowed in a state may have length restrictions.

While I don't believe reciprocity applies to double towing, it's a little more nuanced than that. For example, I can drive in California without meeting California emissions rules.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C.B. wrote:

Legal in Wisconsin.

I din't tow a boat. I do tow a enclosed trailer behind 5er.

It should be noted that there are length restrictions. I'm sure yours is fine, your second trailer is pretty short. I've seen a few over the years though that can't be legal.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/348/II/08

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

Other than a drivers license there is no reciprocity on driving laws between states. Can't exceed speed limits for example. Double towing if allowed in a state may have length restrictions.

While I don't believe reciprocity applies to double towing, it's a little more nuanced than that. For example, I can drive in California without meeting California emissions rules.
OK good point but if you live or work in CA for some time you have to register the vehicle and that requires passing emissions in many counties. Not all counties require emission testing.

Best to remember the towing speed limit is 55. The worst offenders of this are Californians IMHO. And me as I flow with most trucks at 61-62.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA it's legal with endorsement. I can and do double tow there since I am licensed SD. I have double towed thru OR and WA 3 round trips now without issue. I am guessing they don't care since I am licensed SD.

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

CA it's legal with endorsement. I can and do double tow there since I am licensed SD. I have double towed thru OR and WA 3 round trips now without issue. I am guessing they don't care since I am licensed SD.
I don't think that the fact you're licensed in SD would mean much if they pulled you over for pulling doubles in a state where it isn't allowed. I don't think reciprocity extends to that particular item.

My BIL was pulled over in Minnesota for pulling a boat behind his 5th wheel, and told his 5th wheel was too long by 6 inches. He was perfectly legal in Iowa, but that certainly cut no ice in Minnesota. FWIW he had traveled up there several other times, with the exact setup, with no stops and no issues.

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

My BIL was pulled over in Minnesota for pulling a boat behind his 5th wheel, and told his 5th wheel was too long by 6 inches.

By 6 inches? To know, the officer would have had to measure. Who held the other end of the tape? [emoticon]

There is something special about camping in an RV.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

My BIL was pulled over in Minnesota for pulling a boat behind his 5th wheel, and told his 5th wheel was too long by 6 inches.

By 6 inches? To know, the officer would have had to measure. Who held the other end of the tape? [emoticon]

I don't think that measuring the length/width/etc. of vehicles is the toughest job a LEO has on the road.
bumpy

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

When was the last time you had a disagreement with a highway patrolman...and won? [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Truck with 5ver towing a boat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS