Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Possible power or AC issues?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Possible power or AC issues?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
UrbanNomads

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a question about my travel trailer possible power or AC issue. My camper and AC unit are only 3 ½ years old and I am getting ready to replace the battery. Now for the question first then what is happening. “Is my AC unit starting to draw to many amps?”

I live in Georgia and we use the camper all summer even when it is parked at the house so the AC is running almost all the time and I keep it set at 80° when we are not in the camper. Anyway I use a 30 amp Hughes Autoformer with my travel trailer and lately it seams that when the AC is running and the electric water heater is on it will occasionally trip the site circuit breaker at whatever campground we are at. It will definitely trip the site circuit breaker when the AC is on and my wife uses her hair dryer. The Autoformer will also indicate boosting power. I thought it might be site power issues.

But, at the house I keep the camper plugged into a dedicated power source solely for the camper (I still use the Autoformer with the camper at the house for the surge protection) I noticed that when the AC is on and I turn on some lights (which use the 12 volt power) then turn off the lights, I can hear the battery charger kick in and the Autoformer will show that it is boosting power. Then I turn off the AC, then the circuit breaker and then turn the circuit breaker and AC back on and the Autoformer is not boosting power.

Camping World wants $1300 with a 3 year warranty for a new system. It’s not a big deal if I have to replace it because of how much we use it. I just would like some ideas of what might be going on.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d start by giving it a good cleaning, particularly the outside, condenser coils. Also check the run capacitor.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Autoformer boost VOLTAGE not AMPERAGE

30A Power Source
A/C Unit...roughly 10-12A
Water heater element....11A

Converter in full charge mode...8A

Yep....there goes the 30A

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Service Temporarily Unavailable

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Measure the unloaded shore power voltage at the plug.

Now add a load (wife's hair drier) and measure the voltage again.

Finally do the above again with the autoformer "in circuit".

Post the numbers back here.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Autoformer boost VOLTAGE not AMPERAGE

30A Power Source
A/C Unit...roughly 10-12A
Water heater element....11A

Converter in full charge mode...8A

Yep....there goes the 30A

But for example, a 30 amp load in the RV at the boosted 110 volts will require 33 amps at the pedestal if the voltage is 100. The OP needs to measure voltage as he tries to find the problem.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is always some overhead with an autoformer.

I try to limit my loads to 24 amps--that gives some "breathing room" for the autoformer to work its magic.

On a hot day I've seen the roof air start out at 1200 watts and end up at 1900 watts. If the shore voltage is 100, the autformer would be in use and I'd be drawing about 22 amps. That is about all I can run on 30 amps, if I wish to stay under that 24 amp ceiling. I certainly could not run the water heater on electric (1400 watts), unless I'm willing to use the load support feature of the hybrid inverter.

* This post was edited 07/17/19 04:09pm by pianotuna *

UrbanNomads

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the information. I won't get home from work until tomorrow. It would be next week before I could post any numbers. The last to parks in stayed at the owners did say they were in the process of updating all the circuit breakers. They were in bad shape.

Anyway thanks for the help.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can only run 2 high amp items at a time, you pick which two. A/C, WH, Hair dryer, coffee maker, microwave. Suggest you run water heater on propane.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Possible power or AC issues?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS