cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

10 foot CAT5e Ethernet Cable not working

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
For years I have ran a CAT5e Ethernet cable from my son's home to my RV. In the RV I have a LexSys 5 port hub. From the hub I run a 30 foot CAT5 cable to my printer and a 10 foot CAT5 Cable to my laptop.

A few days ago (may be after a thunder storm) the connection to my laptop stopped working. I replaced the 10 foot cable with a 6 foot cable and all works OK. The 30 foot cable to the printer works OK.

The 6 foot cable is a little short so I want to use a 10 foot cable. I have tried 3 different 10 foot cable and NONE will work.

Can you think of any reason the 10 foot cable will not work? No Internet connection. The light on the hub (that should be green) is off with the 10 foot cable. The same with the Ethernet lights on my laptop.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
9 REPLIES 9

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
He said it used to work so I seriously doubt it's a miswired connector.
Some devices can use either type of cable. It's possible that the 3 10ft cables he tried are crossover cables and had never used them connected to his laptop before.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
DFord wrote:
Put the ends of the two cables together side by side to see if they're both made the same way.
He said it used to work so I seriously doubt it's a miswired connector.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Put the ends of the two cables together side by side to see if they're both made the same way.

There are two kinds of Ethernet cables you can make, Straight Through and Crossover. Making Ethernet Cables - Simple and Easy

STRAIGHT THROUGH Ethernet cables are the standard cable used for almost all purposes, and are often called "patch cables". It is highly recommend you duplicate the color order as shown on the left. Note how the green pair is not side-by-side as are all the other pairs. This configuration allows for longer wire runs.
http://www.groundcontrol.com/galileo/images/Standard_Ethernet_Cable_RJ45.gif

CROSSOVER CABLES - The purpose of a Crossover Ethernet cable is to directly connect one computer to another computer (or device) without going through a router, switch or hub.
http://www.groundcontrol.com/galileo/images/RJ-45_Crossover_Ethernet_Cable.gif
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Bummer, likely the port on the laptop is damaged.

Then why does it work with a 6 foot cable?

likely damaged but not completely destroyed.

Does the 30 foot cable work with the laptop?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
GordonThree wrote:

Then why does it work with a 6 foot cable?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer

You can plug a wifi access point into the hub, or get a USB to Ethernet adapter for the laptop.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
GordonThree wrote:
Sounds like the ethernet port is damaged on one or both ends.

On the side of the 5 port hub, switch the connections being used by the laptop and printer.

I have switched the ports. No luck.

Travel Photos

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
X-2 damage to ethernet port

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the ethernet port is damaged on one or both ends.

On the side of the 5 port hub, switch the connections being used by the laptop and printer.