cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length and public campsite availability lately?

gme105
Explorer
Explorer
Still trying to decide between a 24 foot and a 30 foot class C.

There are a number of places on the web where you can figure out which public campgrounds have SOME sites for RV's of various lengths. One U-Tube video I saw where someone looked at over a hundred National Park campgrounds and figured out 83% of them had sites for RV's up to 30 feet. Unfortunately that doesn't paint a true picture as many have only a few sites that will fit longer units and many of those are reserved shortly after their first date of eligibility. Another site pointed out that new RV's are selling significantly faster than the number of campsites are being added and most public campgrounds were designed long before RV's became popular.

So what are your experiences like lately? Can you show up or call a few days prior and fit a 30 foot RV? How about private campgrounds near popular parks? Is it worth sacrificing the comforts of the longer units for greater opportunity by buying a smaller one? How much time do you spend planning ahead (and how long ahead) when traveling?
10 REPLIES 10

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming that you can back your MH into a space - I never had a problem finding a site with our 28' Class C (and I camped in some pretty tight/rustic/forested spots!). When we owned a 5er, we gravitated towards pull-through sites, so that limited us a bit more. Now we're in a converted cargo van, so the world is our oyster (but the living space is plenty cramped). If you are planning any extended trips - get the floor plan you like the best.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Feel your pain. We had problems with Hunting Island SP. The description of the sites say something accommodation for up to 30 feet. Then the actual size of the site we were looking at was huge. Like 35 or 40 feet wide and 60 feet long. I ended up calling them and was told that those measurements were the size of the entire site. I could not understand if that was part of the brush and undergrowth, but apparently it was. We did not get a site because there was none that would match our time off
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 32' Class C and never had a problem finding a site on the East Coast, public or private.

As others have said, get the one that better suits your needs, not the one that might fit better into certain campgrounds. I thought our 32' Class C was cramped, I couldn't imagine what a 24' would feel like.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We never have problems finding a spot with a 36' pulling a utility trailer. Been full-time 9 yrs now. Have used a variety of campgrounds in multiple states. Even if they say 30', many times there is a curb stop at the back of the site, but you can back your rear wheels to that and a lot of the motorhome is behind that stop leaving plenty of room to the road.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the consensus; get the longer motorhome if that's what you really are interested in. I don't think the extra six feet will too often mean not being able to get a site. Of course, it does mean that fewer sites will fit you, but at least in my limited experience the two basic conditions seem to be "pretty much nothing is available" (in which case one is out of luck regardless) or "there's at lest something available for various sized RVs."

If you're willing to be somewhat flexible in terms of where you end up going and what ammenities you require, or else to plan farther in advance for things you don't care to be flexible about, you should have few problems at 30'.

Here in Vermont, we may very well have the fewest large sites proportionally of any state park system. I have yet to encounter a time when I wished to go camping in my 32' class C when I couldn't find a suitable site at a state park, even on short notice (a couple days or the same day). I have sometimes had to be a bit flexible about which state park I camped at. When traveling out of state, the main problems I've had are more along the lines of pulling in to a public park and finding it's closed for rennovations for the season or something like that.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Ge the 30 footer, if that's the size you want. A smaller size is no guarantee you will be more successful getting a spot in a coveted campground.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the chart on trailer/MH limits for California State Parks for your consideration. https://www.parks.ca.gov/RVlength
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
30 feet unless it is the longer wheel base (213?) may be not so nice to drive.

The "perfect" length is a 27 foot on a 176 inch wheelbase.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We do both dry camping and RV Parks and never had problems parking our 35 ft. motorhome, except one place in the Red Woods, Ca. We ended up staying in an RV Park. Go for the 30 ft. if I were you.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We find there are private campgrounds/RV Resorts near the popular and many other national and state parks. We have a 38 foot 5th wheel and have always been able to find a site in the areas where we visit. Sometimes it's a public campground and most of the time it's a private resort because we like to enjoy the extra amenities.

During the week it's easier to get a site. For weekends and holiday weeks, with planning you will be able to find a site in or near most destinations. Go for the longer RV and you'll not regret it.