cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

do you buy the replacement ins on your tires

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
I wrote about tires recently and asked a question, now I have another. Ready to buy the goodyear endurance at discount tire for the 5er. Of course they want to sell me at $78 this free replacement certificate if anything happens to a tire in ten years. Just wondering how many of you buy this? I know usually these things are a waste of money.
rich
12 REPLIES 12

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ReneeG wrote:
At Les Schwab you don't pay extra. If a tire fails in anyway, they will replace it or pro-rate it.

And if your lucky your service will include this!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
At Les Schwab you don't pay extra. If a tire fails in anyway, they will replace it or pro-rate it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Paying $80 for a replacement warranty? What are you paying for your tires? If you are paying 50% for the warranty my have to have at least a 50% failure rate to break even. I pay $20 for a road hazard/mileage warranty at my local shop and rarely have to use it, maybe 3 times in 20 years.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
If you have to pay extra for the insurance (road hazard, replacement, etc.), then you're not shopping around enough. The store will throw in the insurance at no extra cost if you negotiate with them.

I've bought all my tires for all my vehicles at the same place (same store, same manager) for the last 15 years or so. I walked in one day and told the manager I was going to buy the tires online an bring to him so he could mount and balance. From that day forward, he would price match anybody and include the road hazard and lifetime rotate/balance at no extra charge. The corporate theory is that if you come to the store, they'll find something to gig you for. Maybe you have a dead battery or broken TPMS or you need your oil changed or coolant changed or something. When you go these places, they always do a "free" check and give you a list of recommendations. Tire rotate and balance is easy for them, especially if you're there getting something else done.

And yes, I drive 40K miles per year and buy my tires at a national chain. The road hazard insurance has come in very handy on many occasions.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I always buy them. With a 50% failure rate on the BFG tires I had on my truck, it paid for itself on some free tires and pro rating on others. Fortunately, I've not had a =major= issue with my FW tires, though I've had several separations. They were all past the warranty period. Like any insurane you buy, it's a cr@p shoot whether you'll use it, or not.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are worried about road hazard buy it. Tire simply going bad highly unlikely with the ENDURANCE. If it goes bad GY will replace it along with any damages.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

stein4
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it depends on where you do the majority of your driving. I have been adding the replacement insurance since living in SoCal - I've had 2 or 3 tires replaced under the program over the last few years. It's unbelievable what you can find on the highways in California.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have been buying tires at Discount for over 25 years for our personal vehicles plus 4 15 passenger vans we had when we owned a small business. I have never bought the certificates.

I have been driving for 55 years averaging over 25,000 per year until retirement and DW averaging about 15,000. In all that time and miles we have lost a total of ONE (1) tire to road hazard. For the money I would have spent on certificates (basically a form of replacement insurance) I could have bought several sets of tires. Lucky? Maybe. But a lot of money saved. Or spent for other things.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
At Discount or America's Tire I buy the certificate for everything except the spare. Hopefully it will never touch the ground and be replaced due to age only.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I always get the replacement plan from Discount.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is that a pro-rated replacement tire? ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I buy all my tires from Discount Tire. And I always get the replacement certificates. I donโ€™t usually buy extended warranties but that is one item I more than break even on.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010