Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Electric Propulsion Reality Check
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Electric Propulsion Reality Check

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 23  
Prev  |  Next
Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me see. There was a 12 hour charge for 280 miles. Check.

While he was driving all over looking for a motel with an outlet on the outside wall, or an RV campground within walking distance of a motel, how many gas stations did he pass? Check.

Thanks, but no thanks.

My ICE can take me anywhere I want to go and I don't have to sweat obtaining more "go juice" when it is getting low.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

BarabooBob wrote:

I am in the middle of nowhere too often to rely on electric vehicles at this point. Maybe when there are multiple charging stations in every town that can charge my batteries in 10 minutes I will be interested. I don't think I will live that long.

The Nikola semi has a 1500 mile range, with fast refueling. While it is electric, it isn’t battery, rather it’s a hydrogen fuel cell.

A hybrid also could be described as electric. It isn't battery, rather it's a gasoline generator.

If the vehicle burns anything, it isn't an electric.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

Great ad for the car. Time is marching on this issue as there will be many, many more electrics on the market soon.

I beg to differ. This video is a great ad for an internal combustion engine.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

tomman58 wrote:

Great ad for the car. Time is marching on this issue as there will be many, many more electrics on the market soon.

Nope. The video was made about travelling with an electric vehicle in an area with no infrastructure for electric vehicles. Those areas are getting harder to find. People with electric vehicles don’t tend to travel in areas without ichargibg infrastructure. Why would they?

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

So you get that people with EV’s generally don’t charge at campgrounds unless, you know, they are camping right? Lots of Tesla’s pulling RV’s, boats, utility trailers. . They make good tow vehicles. Most EV’s charge at home. On road trips they charge at fast chargers or superchargers.

So, you get that the video actually shows this dude renting an RV site with 50 amp service, more than once, then walking to a motel to rent a room? What people "generally" do is immaterial. What is material is what people are actually doing.

This being an RV site, people charging at home overnight to get a day's charge is immaterial. People trying to drive 400 to 500 miles towing a trailer, then get some sleep and do it again the next day is material. The Tesla did not have that capability.

When 50% of the semi's hauling America's goods are EV's, I will consider one.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

tomman58 wrote:

Nope. The video was made about travelling with an electric vehicle in an area with no infrastructure for electric vehicles. Those areas are getting harder to find. People with electric vehicles don’t tend to travel in areas without ichargibg infrastructure. Why would they?

We will have to agree to disagree. If I were interested in switching to an EV, that video would scare me off. My ICE can take me ANYWHERE I want to go without worrying about replenishing the car's power. Not so with an EV.

In answer to your question about why would people travel to areas without infrastructure, because that is where they want to travel?

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

tomman58 wrote:

We will have to agree to disagree. If I were interested in switching to an EV, that video would scare me off. My ICE can take me ANYWHERE I want to go without worrying about replenishing the car's power. Not so with an EV.

In answer to your question about why would people travel to areas without infrastructure, because that is where they want to travel?

Again. People don’t generally do what was done in the video.

People generally assess their needs when buying a vehicle. Patterns, locations etc. The average person travelling to remote locations without infrastructure would be informed enough not to buy an EV. Right tool for the right job.

Cheers.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When reading these pages one gets what it must've been like when people went from horses to cars. Most arguments against technology are based on ignorance or fear.
I still contend that in the next few years we will see significantly different cars and trucks as well as attitudes.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

When reading these pages one gets what it must've been like when people went from horses to cars. Most arguments against technology are based on ignorance or fear.
I still contend that in the next few years we will see significantly different cars and trucks as well as attitudes.
Simply because people disagree with your viewpoint makes them neither ignorant nor fearful. They know their situation and needs, and you do not. In that particular instance you are the ignorant one.

Everyone pretty much agrees there will be more EV's on the road, the main bone of contention is the time frame involved.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

joebedford

on vacation from rv.net

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll buy an EV when the range is improved (we live in the country). I hate the pollution I'm producing with my gas car and diesel truck (soon to disappear). Where I live, the electricity to charge the EV does NOT come from burning fossil fuels.

Sorry, didn't watch the video.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 23  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Electric Propulsion Reality Check
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.