Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Wheel bearings
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Wheel bearings

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's called APTITUDE. And someone with no experience or aptitude can be dangerous as hell. And a public forum is absolutely awful as a means of finding out the compatibility or degree of aptitude.

He needs someone experienced looking over his shoulder. And only a fool would argue this point.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get,

In decades of repacking wheel bearings, I have actually replaced very few. So, the chance that you will need to replace a bearing is slim. The big killer of trailer wheel bearings is boat trailers that are used to launch the boat just after the guy gets off the highway.

Trailer bearing seem to come in two kinds.
Straight spindle - both bearings are the same number
Tapered spindle - two different bearing numbers

Either case, with the axle jacked, loosen and slide the wheel, brake drum (or journal) and all off and clean the seal. Then you can read that seal number.
Now tip the wheel so the outer bearing falls into the newspaper you laid out to catch it. Clean it and read the number.
Lay the wheel and tire over that newspaper and use something soft to push the inner bearing out. If you are very careful, you may be able to reinstall the grease seal. (This is about a 50/50 bet.)
Now you can read both bearing and the seal numbers. Write them all down someplace for next time.

You can clean both the outer races now and if they don't look bad, then take the time to clean the bearings and cages for the inner races. You will not be able to see that race as the rollers are captured to it. Take the time (remember you are getting paid 100$/hr for this job) to carefully inspect all the rollers. There is a real good chance that there is not reason to replace them.

If you are not sure how to clean and repack the inner bearing, I bet that there are a few on YouTube.

I use a synthetic grease because is does not age out.

Remember! A tapered roller bearing wants to be a little loose. It is as tight as one might set a ball bearing, it will fail in short order.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

Actually, a hammer and BRASS or other soft metal drift work just fine for race replacement.

Totally agree, hard steel drifts are a big no-no.

Been doing that for over 50 years and have never damaged a race or hub.
One more slight derailment, IME BRASS is a poor material to use as a drift. It's tendency to flake off, and for those flakes to find their way into the bearing, means that it's not a good choice. Soft steel works best, IMO of course.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

getpower1

Bay Area, California

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the responses.

I’m very mechanically inclined. This just happens to be the first trailer I’ve owned myself. I’ve delt with wheel bearings before. On someone else’s trailer...about fourteen years ago.

I’ll have to just get them off and see what I’m dealing with I guess. I kind of figured that for most stuff in the rv world things were pretty standard as far as sizes used for this length trailer, etc...

Hopefully I can just get replacement bearings and seals at my local auto supply store. Hate to order and have to wait for that kind of thing.

2003 Aljo 259LT
2018 Ram 3500, SRW, 4x4, CTD, HO, Aisin

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

Actually, a hammer and BRASS or other soft metal drift work just fine for race replacement.

Also, take the race and toss it in the freezer for a hour or so, it will nearly drop in by hand.....but have a drift and hammer ready to "set it".

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Denali, stock....for now. 2015 Creekside 20fq w/300 watts solar. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/19 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced bearings in boat trailer with Timken in 1990 American made but not long after they went to China.
Take the drums off and take them to a parts store, that can handle it, most may not anymore or machine shop and have the races pressed out new ones in and rear seal and front. I have removed them, and you can buy tools that fit. I used big sockets from wrench set chisels, and big hammers, not easy for me to do anymore. Check the magnets and condition of brake shoes and wiring. Wiring on trailers that sit for a while are an usual target for rats and squirrels. When you buy bearing sets, the only way, they come with races.
Don't know who makes bearings today in the US. If the bearing shells and races aren't perfect don't buy them, The Chinese I took off that trailer had gaps in the races and the bearings themselves were cracked and flaking.
Peace of mind, you may won't to put new brakes and backing plates on the trailer, not expensive or use to not be, and may be needed, and the wiring if bad at any one point buy heavier wire and rewire the whole breaking system.
Check the spring hangers and rubber bushings. Most likely the rubber bushings are toast, but hopefully not. And if not equipped with shocks kits that bolt in or on and shocks don't cost that much. They might keep your dishes from flying out of the cabinets and into the floor. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of the trailer and RVing.

dockmasterdave

florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/19 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out etrailer.com. They will likely be your next best friend.

2014 F 150 ecoboost
2010 F 150 4.6L
2007 ranger
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/19 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DON'T buy the Chinese bearings from eTrailer, I was sent pure junk.

If the current old bearings are in good condition, they have a good chance of being better than the imported **** currently available. Most bearings at local auto parts stores are also suspect. Timken bearings might be imported in some sizes, mine are USA, but at least it is a reputable company.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timken has a plant over sea,s BUT the bearings are made to very good spec,s. glad you can handle this job . been sittin long time? change them and use a double lip seal .

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintage465 wrote:

wolfe10 wrote:

Also, take the race and toss it in the freezer for a hour or so, it will nearly drop in by hand.....but have a drift and hammer ready to "set it".

This is good advice. You can also tap in the new race using the old race.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Wheel bearings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS