cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Repainting Front cap

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever repainted their faded front cap themselves. Was it worth the effort verses having it professionally done at $ 2000.00 dollars ? also what did you use to accomplish this...
4 REPLIES 4

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
$2,000 is very high. Shop some places that paint semis and buses. RV dealers usually send their paint work out them mark the price up. If you can mask off the entire front of the trailer, cover the roof and sides so they don't covered with overspray and provide some scaffold to work off of, maybe you can do it. You will also need a large compressor and a quality spray gun along with a respirator and dust free environment. Materials for a good quality base coat/clear coat paint job will be in the $400.00 range. Or you could paint it with a roller and in the end it would look like it was painted with...well a roller. Like anything, you will get what you pay for. Good luck.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
Has anyone ever repainted their faded front cap themselves. Was it worth the effort verses having it professionally done at $ 2000.00 dollars ? also what did you use to accomplish this...

$2000 seems high to me for just paint. My previous 5th wheel had the entire drivers side from front cap to bedroom window torn off while driving it home.

I found a repair shop close by the specialized in fiberglass repair. They repaired all sorts of things from swimming pools RV's and boats to those rail cars that transport you in the Pittsburgh Airport. They repaired the side including lights, replaced the awning material, state inspection, and went over and caulked the entire unit. Total for everything was $3200.I suggest maybe looking around for other places to perform the work. Below are before and almost complete photos.

2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

All 3 of those are the reasons I had a professional re do my *97 Holiday Rambler back in the day...
found replacement stripes online, then a few coats of clearcoat over everything...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We had our Keystone Outback (TT) repainted, but we let our dealership do it. It took about 2 weeks for them to do the work.

I think the biggest obstacles doing it yourself are (1) space, (2) time, (3) skill.

(1) You need a space to do the work. The camper will need to be under roof, dry, and in a somewhat controlled environment because....

(2) Paint needs time to dry between layers, and if you are working a full time job somewhere, your time is limited to after hours and week-ends. The camper needs to be protected from the elements while doing the work.

(3) If you are not skilled or do not have the right equipment, the finished product could end up being a disappointment. However, if you are skilled and have the proper equipment, the end result could be fabulous.

Time and space were the reason I let my dealer do it. I had no where to get the camper under roof to do the work.