cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

James Island County Park (and campground)

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have stayed here twice over the years and each time we go the GPS sends us on a different route. Each time I find myself crossing into other lanes avoiding limbs hanging over the road. It has been over three years since we have been and my daughter wants us to do a family camping trip there. I went to Google Earth and asked for directions.
Danged if GE didn't send me on another route from I-26 to the CG. Just checking, I did a street view and traveled the marked route. Better, they have redone and widened some streets etc, but still the limbs are hanging over one of the cross streets that gets us over the park.
Do you folks have a specific route you use to avoid limbs? Would you share it?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow
5 REPLIES 5

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks guys. We will head that way this fall.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
We are at James Island CP now till the 13th. I’ve had a TT, MH, and 2 fifthwheels. Coming from the south off 95, we take SC exit 33, 17 all the way and to Wesley Drive using the left lane to avoid overhanging trees. It turns into Folly road which we take all the way to Camp Road then right to Riverland then right 1 block to park entrance on left. I know this does not help from I-26 but this approach is less likely to cause damage to overhangs and greater than 90 degree turns. The tree overhang on most roads is very low and somewhat close to the curb. Parts of Wesley and Folly roads have utility poles within 12” of roadway. With the road crowned, there is a good chance a 13’3” fiver could take one out. When coming from the north, we would take 526 from 26 and follow the above track. About the same mileage but without the headache.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Server error - duplicate post
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
'tiredTeacher has a good way of getting into the park. One huge advantage of thier route is it keeps you from having to make any sharp turns or turning left where there is limited sight. The only time you really have to cross traffic is the left onto Riverland Dr and that has a long sight and good breaks of traffic. If you pre-drive it on GE, you will know which lanes you need to get into which will help ease the tension of driving in.

There are a couple of trees you will need to be careful of but mainly only if you hug the white line. Just take your time and keep an eye out for the tree scars to know where to give a little extra room. Almost all of the scars are made by semi's and large delivery trucks so odds are you won't get close with a MH.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
Do you folks have a specific route you use to avoid limbs? Would you share it?

We were there this past May. We have a TT, but the park was full of big 5th wheels who made it without issue. I don't recall having to even be concerned on the way in.
We take I-26 to Savannah Hwy. (Rt. 17). When Rt. 17 goes to the right, we stay on SR 171 (Folly Road Blvd) straight ahead. Just as soon as you cross the Wappo Creek bridge, you'll turn right onto Maybank Highway (SR 700). Turn left off Maybank onto Riverland Drive and the park is ahead on the right.
Enter that route into your navigation system and you'll have nary a problem.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."