cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV DNS changes

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I saw a post on another forum saying that CBS DNS had changed broadcast locations.
Sure enough, the CBS E. coast feed is now coming out of DC instead of NY and the CBS W. coast feed is now coming out of San Diego. Not sure why (CBS dispute with DTV?) but it will also effect anyone who changed their service address to NY or LA to avoid DNS charges. No CBS for you!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?
27 REPLIES 27

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now DISH and one of the Networks here in MI are in the same battle. I didn't pay it much attention so I am not sure which, but this is just an ongoing thing that pops up ever 3-5 years depending upon how long the partners terms were agreed upon.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
Carl n Susan wrote:
In case you missed it, local CBS stations came back a couple of days ago. Somebody must have blinked.

Not here!! :E Still acting like children.

Not in Birmingham market either. Football season is getting close and I am getting nervous about CBS. They carry the SEC spotlight game each Saturday and many Sunday NFL games.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Carl n Susan wrote:
In case you missed it, local CBS stations came back a couple of days ago. Somebody must have blinked.

Not here!! :E Still acting like children.

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No this has nothing to do with streaming. It's just one of the regular battles the Networks and DISH and DirecTV have when new contracts are up for renewal.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Not up to speed on all this but I have to ask.

Is all this shakeup in the 'media' industry because of streaming?
Is there not a danger that this is all a passing fad and when the shine wears off they will be stuck with a huge $$$ white elephant.

Quick search, there are 10+ major streaming sites now. That pie is getting sliced up into smaller and smaller pieces.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
This inconvenience actually is not so bothersome at my home. It is specifically a problem where I tailgate, with the season approaching. My batwing just won't get a reliable signal.

I've seen these squabbles several times, over the years. This one has lasted longer than any I can remember.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I doubt it will take too long for DirecTV and CBS to come to an agreement. It never does when these kinds of negotiations go South.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer

You need to get the Roku box and there you can get access to what you mention plus thousands of more channels..

Plus just about all local news channels are now streaming, you can be on the other side of the world and watch your local new

Can't afford to pay for all the data if I stream TV every night in my RV.

I have DirecTV and, for one, will have to make some kind of change when football season arrives. SEC premium games are covered by CBS and I have trouble getting my local CBS channel OTA from our tailgate location. This just won't do.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Tom N wrote:
timmac wrote:
Thats why you all need to stream, no issues with channel changes and news from other areas, all channels all the time and movies when ever you want and many are FREE...

Where can I stream CBS Pittsburgh, CW Pittsburgh & The Smithsonian channel??

I have NetFlix and Amazon Prime.

You need to get the Roku box and there you can get access to what you mention plus thousands of more channels..

Plus just about all local news channels are now streaming, you can be on the other side of the world and watch your local news...

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Thats why you all need to stream, no issues with channel changes and news from other areas, all channels all the time and movies when ever you want and many are FREE...

Where can I stream CBS Pittsburgh, CW Pittsburgh & The Smithsonian channel??

I have NetFlix and Amazon Prime.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Tom N wrote:
My west coast CBS feed is still coming from KCBS Los Angles and my east coast CBS feed is still coming from WCBS New York.

Not sure what causes the change to take effect but you must be late in the change over. I was really surprised to find that Judge Judy (from LA) was gone and the San Diego CBS did not carry it. Boo Hoo!

Yes, you are correct. I was late getting the CBS switch from NY/LA TO DC/SD. I have the change over now.

This must be part of the disagreement between DTV and CBS. My local CBS is gone along with my local CW and The Smithsonian channel, all of which are part of the CBS family. We rarely RV anymore, even though we still own the motorhome. I have an auto HD DTV dish on the motorhome. I may drop DTV and go with my local cable company, which is currently my ISP.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
How about quit quoting tinmac. I have blocked his posts but that doesn't work for a quote. :B

Just like a good little SJW would do... :R

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Dish at home and we have lost CBS. Not a big loss!
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds