Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: The big purchase
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> The big purchase

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
JOERVDREAM

quincy, ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

last May I decided to retire and go full time RVing. Since then I have had my first yard sale and put my house on the market. They say that's the hard part. So if that's the case why am I freaking out about making the purchase of the RV? I want to get a used class C and pretty much know what kind of floor plan and length I want. I have been all over Craig's List, RV trader, E-bay and many dealer websites as far as 500 miles away. A lot of what I here is if you go private seller you should try and find one that is the original owner.
So my question is if anyone would like to offer an opinion is. Would it be a good idea to post an add wanting to buy an RV? Something like looking for responsible original owner. One who has kept up with all the maintenance and such, willing to negotiate? It appears to be a buyers market for used RVs so screening the sellers may work? I have seen enough adds to kind of spot the scams and unknowledgeable sellers as well as cruise America adds (without even having to open the adds anymore)Any thoughts on this?

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JOERVDREAM wrote:

So my question is if anyone would like to offer an opinion is. Would it be a good idea to post an add wanting to buy an RV?

It may work but, I'm guessing you will get a call from every RV dealer west of the Mississippi.
They will ignore the part of your ad about a Class C, original owner, etc..

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What size are you looking for, I maybe getting ready to upgrade....

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/19 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JOERVDREAM wrote:

So my question is if anyone would like to offer an opinion is. Would it be a good idea to post an add wanting to buy an RV? Something like looking for responsible original owner. One who has kept up with all the maintenance and such, willing to negotiate? It appears to be a buyers market for used RVs so screening the sellers may work? I have seen enough adds to kind of spot the scams and unknowledgeable sellers as well as cruise America adds (without even having to open the adds anymore)Any thoughts on this?

You certainly can post an ad on Craigslist. I have done countless ads for "wanting" something. You will get a lot of responses that clearly you are not interested in. I might suggest the following:

1. State exactly what you are looking for. Year, mileage, floorplan, chassis (Ford, Chevy Dodge etc.) what features such as generator solar etc. Be as specific as possible stating must have items etc. Take your time and make this list as it will help you eliminate a lot of responses that do not meet your need.

2. In BOLD UPPERCASE state that responses that do not meet your requirements will not be responded to. Request multiple photos in response showing that your requirements are met.

3. You can provide your phone number in a Craigslist ad BUT be prepared that you might get phone calls at all hours of the day or night. It might be better to have them email you their phone number asking for a good time to call. If you do provide your number state the times that you will accept calls. Tell them calls or texts outside these hours will be ignored.

4. Consider getting the unit inspected prior to purchase. Kind of like a home inspection prior to buying. If you decide to do this, STATE this requirement in your ad. You will also have to state that you will pay for the inspection. If a seller refuses then that is not the RV for you.

I know that major purchases can be stressful but you are opening a exciting new chapter in your life. Take time and enjoy everything.

I wish you success in finding the perfect RV for you and much fun in the future.

Dave

2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

JOERVDREAM

quincy, ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. Yeah the part about the inspection is a great idea and one that would weed out the ones that know they are trying to sell a bucket of bolts. Im looking at ones that are in the 2004-2014 range with a slide out dining area and fixed or slide out walk around bed in back. Less than 30' and less than 100,000 miles.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/19 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2016 got the six speed trans with hill engine braking.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is another choice. I bought my used RV from a dealer. The one I bought was being sold on consignment. The owner agreed to fix any issues and bring the unit to like new condition. The dealer had an incentive to find any issues, make the repairs and collect from the seller.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One way to go if you want a used RV with verified maintenance is to look at the Rental Market. More than 100 people here on the forum have been very happy with their choice.

This worked out very well for me after doing pretty much what you have done,several months of looking,lotta scams and bad overpriced junk.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

+1 on buying used from a dealer. It's about time for all those RVs bought in the last 2 years to hit the used market. A lot of people found out that owning an RV is not exactly as depicted on the Extreme RVs and Go RVing TV shows.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> The big purchase
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.