cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Longest lasting batteries

captpar
Explorer
Explorer
Who has the longest lasting chassis and house batteries.
Getting ready to change mine out at 7 1/2 years .
14 REPLIES 14

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
7 1/2 years agm. Keep on a Ctek when not on the road. Being replace with another agm, starting to have some hold charge issues.

:h
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

What is a Ctek?

MountainAir05 wrote:
7 1/2 years agm. Keep on a Ctek when not on the road. Being replace with another agm, starting to have some hold charge issues.

Ctek....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even though each Interstate battery would start my ISL by itself (a redneck load test), I replaced them at 10 years old in OR (no sales tax) because they let me keep them. Used them in a 24V D7 bulldozer for another 5 years and could have used one of them even longer.

The Canadian made AGM house batteries are 11 years old in my Dynasty with nothing being done to them other than not going before 50% SOC. Still providing plenty of power for boondocking.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think maintenance will trump brand any day. My first chassis battery was a 12v Trojan Marine battery wet cell. It lasted 4 years along with my 2 6v Trojan GC house batteries. I replaced the chassis battery with a Walmart 12v starting battery and my house batteries with 2 6v GC batteries from Sam's club. The Walmart battery lasted 9 years the Sam's Club are 13 years old and still good. I dry camp almost exclusively but I recharge fully after every trip and equalize several times a year and charge the starting battery whenever I charge the house batteries. The Trojans were much more expensive but it took a while to learn the right maintenance procedures.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Motorcraft Ford. I just changed the OEM chassis battery in my 06 E450 chassis. Only 13 years. For the last 6 or 7 years I've used a trickle charger on it, to compensate for usage by the step, interior lights going on/off when using the key fob to enter the coach.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the original starting battery in my 2002 F53 motorhome in 2014 and I did not really have to because it was still good. My four 6V gel cell house batteries I installed in 2006 are still on the job.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

What is a Ctek?

MountainAir05 wrote:
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, if you got 7 1/2 years out of what you have that's exactly what I'd put back in there.
There's really only 3 or 4 battery manufacturers in the whole country: East Penn, Excide, Johnson Controls, and maybe one other. Every battery you see at an auto parts store, walmart, etc. comes from one of the big makers.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, if you got 7 1/2 years out of what you have that's exactly what I'd put back in there.
There's really only 3 or 4 battery manufacturers in the whole country: East Penn, Excide, Johnson Controls, and maybe one other. Every battery you see at an auto parts store, walmart, etc. comes from one of the big makers.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I have a battery in my motorcycle that is 10 years old and still fine. Keep it on a Battery Tender in the off season.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have some wal marts six years old. you do have to take some care for any battery .clean post ,watch water level, charge after every use.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Seven and a half years is great. Your maintenance must be perfect. Rebuy what you have.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
captpar wrote:
Who has the longest lasting chassis and house batteries.
Getting ready to change mine out at 7 1/2 years .

i'd say those lasted longer than i'd expect. why not get the same?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle