cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorhome drinking oil

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
We keep having to add engine oil to our Chevy 8.1L motorhome in signature...like 16 oz. every 500 miles. It had a leak a couple months ago and we had an oil line changed. No visible leak now. No smoke coming out of exhaust pipe. Oil pressure on dash gauge is just like it's always been, about 55 when driving...with 40 being the middle and 80 the highest. Does that sound good? We don't even know what those numbers mean.

We are over 3,000 miles from home, so can't go back to the mechanic right now.

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas about our older motorhome, with 90,000 miles, that uses alot of oil. Should we be concerned? What can be done?

The engine still sounds and runs great!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara
29 REPLIES 29

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
twodownzero wrote:
okhmbldr wrote:
Another reason for this sudden use of oil is possibly the quality of oil added at the last oil change.
I have an Avalanche with 205,000 miles and has never used a drop of oil....until my oil change guy forgot and added their "house blend". I noticed that after 1000 miles it used a full quart and I was sad. All those years and never used a drop and now I was a user!
Later I noticed on my receipt he noted that the house blend had been used instead of the Castrol 10/30 that has been in the truck since new.
Anyway, I went back and he changed to my Castrol, and the truck hasn't used a drop since.
Just a thought.

Two things:

1) the base stock of almost all oils is so similar that this is not possible.

2) I highly doubt your Avalanche calls for 10W-30 oil and it absolutely did not come with that "new."
Your number 1 is not correct. When I was trucking I would use a gallon of Chevron oil on a west coast trip. On Mystic oil it never used more than two qt's between changes. That was 3 west coast runs.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

honda1
Explorer
Explorer
had to many times, used moible oil or exion oil , start using oil, changed to castrol 10 w 30 is the one to use & made a big diffrence in oil useage , have been told by others have done the same , it does make a difference , wont hurt to try.

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
okhmbldr wrote:
Another reason for this sudden use of oil is possibly the quality of oil added at the last oil change.
I have an Avalanche with 205,000 miles and has never used a drop of oil....until my oil change guy forgot and added their "house blend". I noticed that after 1000 miles it used a full quart and I was sad. All those years and never used a drop and now I was a user!
Later I noticed on my receipt he noted that the house blend had been used instead of the Castrol 10/30 that has been in the truck since new.
Anyway, I went back and he changed to my Castrol, and the truck hasn't used a drop since.
Just a thought.

Two things:

2) I highly doubt your Avalanche calls for 10W-30 oil and it absolutely did not come with that "new."

Thank you soooo much for correcting MY story. Your are right, the Avalanche originally came with 5w30 as the recommended oil. But, at 205k miles and living in a hot climate, I choose to use the 10w30. And why would you care?
Second, the quik lube I used explained that their base oil that they put in my truck by mistake is actually a re-refined oil for the cheap oil changes and he admitted that it does burn in many vehicles. So, I'm just passing on the quik lube guys info. I thought if the OP had received a similar oil change recently that his problem could have been the same as mine.

Thanks again for setting me straight.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
okhmbldr wrote:
Just a thought.

Two things:

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Janss wrote:
We'll keep watching the dipstick over the next few thousand miles as we continue our trip. And someday when my body feels nimble, I might crawl under the motorhome to have a look at the undercarriage.

Thanks for the additional comments. All very helpful.

Just a comment. You're "ASSUMING" the dipstick is accurate. Many, if not most, are not. Next oil change, verify the 'lines' on the stick are accurate. If not, simply correct it with a file....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
SidecarFlip wrote:
Keep an eye on the oil level and when you get home, take it to a shop and have the motor rebuilt.

90K in a Mo Ho, it's time.

Thatโ€™s just silly.

Lots of heavily loaded gas-burners go well into 3X or 4X that mileage without issue.

A buddy has several Mac tool trucks, theyโ€™re never anything but loaded up with tools and near GVWR. He runs them to several hundred thousand miles before even thinking of touching them.

Modern engines are a completely different creature than back in the day.

honda1
Explorer
Explorer
change oil to castrel 10w30 reg oil & ac delco filter , has same problem with 2000 7.3 using mobile oil 1 qt every 1200 miles then went to 2100 miles to quart ..

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I have 90,000 on my 8.1 and it uses a little bit under a quart about every 1000 miles or so. It's always been like that since new.

I do my own changes every 3,000 miles and use Mobile 1 15,000 extended synthetic with a AC Delco PF454 filter.

Stills runs like a top and I expect it will continue to do so for many years to come.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
a few qts of oil isn't worth a engine over haul be serious not stupid.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
It is a 2002 with 90000 miles on it. Gaskets shrink, seals get worn, and there is some wear on the engine at 90000 miles. I would just check the oil and add when it gets down to the add line! I have a 2001 7.4 which I got several years ago when it had 9000 miles on it, now it has almost 30000 on it. It has always taken a quart at about 1200 to 1500 miles and it still does. I bet if you check the original manufacturers warranty you will find that it had to use more than a quart to 500 miles to get service under warranty!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought.

tiffy2000
Explorer
Explorer
My Ford manual says this:
If the oil level is between the MIN and MAX marks, the oil level is
acceptable. DO NOT ADD OIL.
โ€ข If the oil level is below the MIN mark, add enough oil to raise the level
within the MIN-MAX range

I have read that if I top it off to the MAX mark it will use oil

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
K Charles wrote:
1/2 qt in 500 miles but how much in 1000 miles? Many engines will use a half at and stay there for many miles. You don't need to add until it gets to "add" our almost.

I agree, a qt to 1000 miles is no big deal. I don't think the manufacturer would fix that even if it was still under warranty.

It is a big deal, modern gas motors should not eat oil..

I had a 2002 8.1 GM motor in a Flair motorhome and it to ate 1 quart every 1500 miles, Now my 2008 Ford V-10 motorhome never eats any oil, can go 10,000 miles if needed and never loose a drop..

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
YEARS ago, the actual spec for a Chevy 454 was 1 qt per 500 miles. I never saw or had a customer that used that much, but when the customer went to the Chevy Heavy Truck center, they showed the paper that stated this. Usually the complaint was 1qt per 2 to 3 thousand miles. 90k and have you owned since it was new? It depends on how the engine was used or abused in 17 years. What grade oil are you using? Doug