Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Motorhome drinking oil
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Motorhome drinking oil

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

90,000 miles is not much for the GM 8.1L engine. On my 8.1L engine, I used the 2 quart oil filter instead of the 1/2 quart standard filter. This increased my oil capacity by 1 1/2 quarts. I then started filling the crankcase to the BOTTOM line of the normal range on the dipstick.
The point is I was not running the engine low on oil but I noticed that the amount of oil used dropped dramatically. I believe that the marks on the factory dipstick are too high.
Naturally there are many places where oil can leak. I would get under the coach and look closely for any oil traces on the undercarriage that would indicate a leak. The rear main seal could be leaking, rocker cover gaskets, etc. It could also be something as simple as your valve seals hardening.
A simple compression check will give you a basic health report on your engine but I am sure that you will find that your engine does not need to be rebuilt.

* This post was edited 07/19/19 07:31am by rgatijnet1 *

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I, too, will add that I don't think that oil consumption is out of line for that engine at that age. While I never gave it any thought, there might be something to the statements that the "FULL" mark on the dip stick might be too high. I seem to have experienced situations where the first 1/2 quart or so seems to be used up fairly quickly, but then the level stabilizes for the rest of the oil change interval. Hmmmm....interesting.

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (22-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (17), 2 boys (19 & 16).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll keep watching the dipstick over the next few thousand miles as we continue our trip. And someday when my body feels nimble, I might crawl under the motorhome to have a look at the undercarriage.

Thanks for the additional comments. All very helpful.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should add that the 2 quart AC Delco oil filter is readily available and only costs a few bucks extra. It also makes changing the filter a breeze since it hangs down and clears the things that made the 1/2 quart filter harder to remove. The additional oil capacity from that filter is one thing but the 4 times increase in filter area is also a very good thing as is the added cooling from the additional oil. I traveled a lot in the Western mountains always towing and after almost 100,000 miles I do not have any oil issues.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would just keep adding oil. I bet you'll get another 5 years or more out of that engine. If you absolutely can't stand the oil consumption, I bet a new set of valve seals alone will reduce the consumption by 50% or more. If it has good power and no smoke, I highly doubt it needs a set of rings.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as it passes emissions, (if required) starts easily, it's not smoking, leaking, missing, fouling plugs, lighting the Check Engine Light, and generating rated power, . . . . . . keep driving it. Add oil when it gets below the "ADD" line on the dipstick. Don't worry about it. Enjoy life and have a good trip.

You can tear the engine down and replace the seals, rings, bearings, etc. spending thousands to save $3.00 every 1,000 miles, if you prefer, but it will take the life of the motorhome to recoup your investment in a rebuilt engine. (that is otherwise operating fine except that it uses a little oil) IMO, some things are best left alone and tolerated.

Chum lee

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YEARS ago, the actual spec for a Chevy 454 was 1 qt per 500 miles. I never saw or had a customer that used that much, but when the customer went to the Chevy Heavy Truck center, they showed the paper that stated this. Usually the complaint was 1qt per 2 to 3 thousand miles. 90k and have you owned since it was new? It depends on how the engine was used or abused in 17 years. What grade oil are you using? Doug

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

olfarmer wrote:

K Charles wrote:

1/2 qt in 500 miles but how much in 1000 miles? Many engines will use a half at and stay there for many miles. You don't need to add until it gets to "add" our almost.

I agree, a qt to 1000 miles is no big deal. I don't think the manufacturer would fix that even if it was still under warranty.

It is a big deal, modern gas motors should not eat oil..

I had a 2002 8.1 GM motor in a Flair motorhome and it to ate 1 quart every 1500 miles, Now my 2008 Ford V-10 motorhome never eats any oil, can go 10,000 miles if needed and never loose a drop..

tiffy2000

NH

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Ford manual says this:
If the oil level is between the MIN and MAX marks, the oil level is
acceptable. DO NOT ADD OIL.
• If the oil level is below the MIN mark, add enough oil to raise the level
within the MIN-MAX range

I have read that if I top it off to the MAX mark it will use oil

okhmbldr

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another reason for this sudden use of oil is possibly the quality of oil added at the last oil change.
I have an Avalanche with 205,000 miles and has never used a drop of oil....until my oil change guy forgot and added their "house blend". I noticed that after 1000 miles it used a full quart and I was sad. All those years and never used a drop and now I was a user!
Later I noticed on my receipt he noted that the house blend had been used instead of the Castrol 10/30 that has been in the truck since new.
Anyway, I went back and he changed to my Castrol, and the truck hasn't used a drop since.
Just a thought.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Motorhome drinking oil
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS