cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Vinyl Trim Insert Sizing

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi the vinyl trim that covers the aluminum track on my older motorhome needs changing.
Camco on Amazon lists 3/4" 1" and 1 1/4"
My question be it likely a no brainer but from my attatched picture should I be ordering which size?
Unsure if measured by the exposed size of the whole width of the insert including the bit that fits into the slots
Thanks and have a great upcoming weekend!

10 REPLIES 10

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cobra21 wrote:
I bought the 1" Camco about 5 years ago and it may have been too wide. I had to choose a hot day to bend it in but it works great. When you get it if it seems to be on the wide side, put it in anyway. Looks Great!
Brian

Hi Brian, thanks, hot days are no problem, may be to hot to go on the roof!

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
I purchased a roll from my local dealership and replaced all the trim on my previous TT when it began cracking and breaking because it got so brittle. I think I paid something like, $12 for a 100 foot roll. I took a piece of the old trim that wasn't cracked to my dealership parts store and they matched it, off the shelf. I replaced everything on the camper and still have, probably 50 feet left. It's white, but the trim on my current camper is all black now.

When you begin to insert the trip, start with one side and lay it in the track about a foot long. Then pinch the trim and insert the very end into the other side of the track. Once started, you can just pinch in the middle and slide right down the track. Cut to length only after you've inserted it.

The biggest problem I had was the tail dangling, and it wanted to uncoil all twisted. Then, I did it it 5-6 foot sections over the gutters area and would have to move the ladder again. So the roll was laid on the roof so it wouldn't pull out what I just inserted. It was easy, but a bit frustrating until you get the hang of it. After I caught on how to do it, the rest went very fast.

As stated above, don't stretch it. That's why pinching in the middle and just letting it self insert works so well. After it was inserted, I waited about 10 minutes before I cut to length at the ends, and then I left the ends about 6 inches longer to allow for some shrinkage after the immediate install. After a few more minutes, I trim back the 6 inches, leaving and extra inch and tuck it under. The little end caps screwed on top of the fold.

Good luck, and have fun. It's an easy job, just a bit tiring working from a ladder for almost everything so long.

Thanks for the great tips Dutchsmansport, looking forward to doing it, should make a big difference!

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chris Bryant wrote:
Make sure you donโ€™t stretch it at all when you install, otherwise the first cold day it will shrink.

Thanks Chris, would hate for that to happen!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a roll from my local dealership and replaced all the trim on my previous TT when it began cracking and breaking because it got so brittle. I think I paid something like, $12 for a 100 foot roll. I took a piece of the old trim that wasn't cracked to my dealership parts store and they matched it, off the shelf. I replaced everything on the camper and still have, probably 50 feet left. It's white, but the trim on my current camper is all black now.

When you begin to insert the trip, start with one side and lay it in the track about a foot long. Then pinch the trim and insert the very end into the other side of the track. Once started, you can just pinch in the middle and slide right down the track. Cut to length only after you've inserted it.

The biggest problem I had was the tail dangling, and it wanted to uncoil all twisted. Then, I did it it 5-6 foot sections over the gutters area and would have to move the ladder again. So the roll was laid on the roof so it wouldn't pull out what I just inserted. It was easy, but a bit frustrating until you get the hang of it. After I caught on how to do it, the rest went very fast.

As stated above, don't stretch it. That's why pinching in the middle and just letting it self insert works so well. After it was inserted, I waited about 10 minutes before I cut to length at the ends, and then I left the ends about 6 inches longer to allow for some shrinkage after the immediate install. After a few more minutes, I trim back the 6 inches, leaving and extra inch and tuck it under. The little end caps screwed on top of the fold.

Good luck, and have fun. It's an easy job, just a bit tiring working from a ladder for almost everything so long.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the 1" Camco about 5 years ago and it may have been too wide. I had to choose a hot day to bend it in but it works great. When you get it if it seems to be on the wide side, put it in anyway. Looks Great!
Brian

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you donโ€™t stretch it at all when you install, otherwise the first cold day it will shrink.
-- Chris Bryant

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
bob213 wrote:
I have been told that this one lasts longer than the Camco. I purchased black last year and it is holding up well.
vinyl insert

To late just ordered the Camco, will get here quicker and Camco not charging me for shipping. 100 feet for $23.29 CAD. delivered.
I'll be happy if it lasts just afew years.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I have been told that this one lasts longer than the Camco. I purchased black last year and it is holding up well.
vinyl insert
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
bob213 wrote:
Since you plan on replacing it pull it out of the track near the end and get a true measurement. Look at your end points as you may need to order some lapseal for the roof and proflex for the body ends.

Ok thanks the trim I just pulled back is 1 inch in width.
So then thats the size I need then just was not sure if they measured by the exposed trim size or the complete trim size including whats inserted into the track
Thanks bob213

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Since you plan on replacing it pull it out of the track near the end and get a true measurement. Look at your end points as you may need to order some lapseal for the roof and proflex for the body ends.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand