cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2009 Burb

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Just looked at a 2009 Chev Suburban as a replacement TV. 5.3 former police vehicle with 114,000km on the clock. Opinions please. 1480 payload. TT in my signature.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision
10 REPLIES 10

Buckeyeclan
Explorer
Explorer
I would 2nd looking for a 2500 burb. My 20 ft hybrid is pushing 700 lbs of tongue weight loaded. My family of 5 and my trailer would max out that half ton now, let alone a few years as my boys grow. Also want to upgrade the trailer in a few years

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a Suburban for towing I would probably try to find a 2500 Suburban. They have significantly higher towing and payload. It seems that many people don't even know they exist because GM never really advertised them. If they would have they may have sold more and thus kept them in production.
I purchased a 2009 2500 Suburban to haul my family and tow my boat; it weighs about 6,500 pounds. A 2500 will have a 6.0L engine which is an extremely durable and reliable engine. The 6 speed automatic in the 2500s automatically downshifts when slowing down and also downshifts to help maintain cruise control speed when going downhill.
Mine was supposedly a former Border Patrol unit. I can tell it used to have a lot of two-way radios and light bars installed. Mechanically it's been fine. It tows my boat with ease.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a Suburban for towing I would probably try to find a 2500 Suburban. They have significantly higher towing and payload. It seems that many people don't even know they exist because GM never really advertised them. If they would have they may have sold more and thus kept them in production.
I purchased a 2009 2500 Suburban to haul my family and tow my boat; it weighs about 6,500 pounds. A 2500 will have a 6.0L engine which is an extremely durable and reliable engine. The 6 speed automatic in the 2500s automatically downshifts when slowing down and also downshifts to help maintain cruise control speed when going downhill.
Mine was supposedly a former Border Patrol unit. I can tell it used to have a lot of two-way radios and light bars installed. Mechanically it's been fine. It tows my boat with ease.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
I spent 30 years driving cop cars and those engines are operating (idling mostly) the entire shift even though I might only drive 30 miles. Buyer beware.

^^^^^ This.

40 years in Law Enforcement/Public Safety. Police vehicles are maintained very regularly and hopefully by a competent shop, either in house or contracted. But as stated, they will be idling a lot, and when they are running emergent, particularly for a bit of a distance, they are frequently going at or near vehicle maximums.

If you can find out something about the history of the vehicle, ie, what agency had it, was it a patrol car or a detective car, command staff car, or an SRO car? Who operated it? If it's an SRO car or command staff car, it sat in the parking lot of a school or HQ most of it's life and would be a great buy! With 114000km/70K miles on it, my guess would be it was NOT a patrol car, but likely a command staff or detective car.

ETA: Also, try to find out if it was a pool car with multiple drivers, or was it a take home car, assigned to one driver for the bulk of it's life. Could make a difference. Lots of agencies have a 1-on-1 car plan where the vehicle stays with one officer for the bulk of it's useful agency life.

^^^^^ very good advice right there. I take care of a fleet (small)of vehicles at work and everything that was said above is true.

This is more than likely what the burb you're thinking of buying went through!

Cop cars have a bad life. They are either idling or curb or ditch hopping to catch the bad guy. Pick carefully grasshopper.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
I spent 30 years driving cop cars and those engines are operating (idling mostly) the entire shift even though I might only drive 30 miles. Buyer beware.

^^^^^ This.

40 years in Law Enforcement/Public Safety. Police vehicles are maintained very regularly and hopefully by a competent shop, either in house or contracted. But as stated, they will be idling a lot, and when they are running emergent, particularly for a bit of a distance, they are frequently going at or near vehicle maximums.

If you can find out something about the history of the vehicle, ie, what agency had it, was it a patrol car or a detective car, command staff car, or an SRO car? Who operated it? If it's an SRO car or command staff car, it sat in the parking lot of a school or HQ most of it's life and would be a great buy! With 114000km/70K miles on it, my guess would be it was NOT a patrol car, but likely a command staff or detective car.

ETA: Also, try to find out if it was a pool car with multiple drivers, or was it a take home car, assigned to one driver for the bulk of it's life. Could make a difference. Lots of agencies have a 1-on-1 car plan where the vehicle stays with one officer for the bulk of it's useful agency life.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
Over the last year I have noticed that any Tahoe police/law enforcement vehicle I have seen does not have the hitch in the rear bumper cross member. I am not sure at what point GM went to a specific bumper for the police trucks but you may want to verify there is a hitch.

Being a 2009, is it the 4 speed or late enough it has the 6 speed? What axle ratio?

Your towing success will depend on what you put in the truck while towing. If you are loading with 6 people and luggage you may not like how it tows. Two people and you may do okay.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I can only assume by it having a 5.3 and you not mentioning it being a 3/4 ton that it's a 1/2 ton Suburban. What are you planning on towing with it? 1480 payload isn't much once you put 4 passengers in that, you'll have nothing left for tongue weight. I'd pass.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has one with a 5.3. Problem is, with those motors, they tend to use a little oil so it's advisable to keep an eye on the oil level.

If it's a cast iron block, I'd buy it. If it's an aluminum block, I'd pass.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I would check the engine hours. Some times these vehicles idle for hours on end.