cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To DP or not DP

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
We are in the preliminary stages of prepping for full time in the next year and a half. I work remote and our son will be going off to college, so we thought we would see a lot more of this great country. We've always had gassers because that's all we needed - mostly weekend trips etc. I am fully versed in the shortcomings of the F53 and I am also fairly convinced that if I am going to Full time - a bigger, nicer, quieter, better handling MH is in order. That said, while I have been in some DP's I have never driven one and I know next to nothing about their mechanics - and frankly it's a little intimidating. Even getting fuel is different. I am sure I would get the hang of driving and "how stuff works". I will say that although we've always had gassers, most engine stuff I always left to the pros. I am more handy when it comes to the house stuff. But I'd hate to trade luxury for being in over my head in terms of handing things when they go wrong and general understanding. I know all of us at one time never did anything we do now- I get it, but am I overthinking this too much? Part of me is thinking a nicer gasser to stay in my comfort zone, but the other part of me is thinking - this is a dream we've talked about for years and want to do it right and in the best MH we can afford with the most comfort.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
64 REPLIES 64

Bruce_Brown
I'll say...

I hope the OP got the information they were looking for.

I hope no one does something foolish and ends up hurt or worse.

This one is done.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well this thread went off the rails..
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:

A hose or fitting failure would drop the jacks in a second.

Wrong.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
map40 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
I would bet that when a coach sets a week on the level jacks with out moving, it will set there 15 minutes more while Mike slides under there and changes a brake canister fitting.

No.... Bad assumption. When you go under you TOUCH stuff. Either a hose, a pipe, a valve, you move a hydraulic line out of the way to see better, next thing you know, coach comes down.

Do a search for "Rolls Royce Phanthom kills technician". A poor guy had a Rolls on a lift but did not lock it correctly. When he went under and starter looking at a bolt in the exhaust, the car came down.
It is a really good example on how even when you believe you are safe but you missed a minor safety backup, you could be in trouble.

When you do not know what you are doing, you don't belong under there.

But tell me what you could move to cause the jacks to collapse ?
Remember the air ride system is already drained, when you raise the coach. so it has been on the jacks for week. and jacks must be selected up electrically to lower the coach.
Changing a brake line fitting isn't going to do that.
When you don't know the difference between falling off a car lift and a coach on its leveling jacks you shouldn't post.

Sorry, I did not want to start an argument. I have seen enough industrial accidents for cases like this. Especially when people know what they are doing, because the become complaicent, they forget little things, and that is what kills them. You can have a hose under preasure for a week, and you just went under to check something else, touched it accidentally and it breaks. I learn working in over 50 automotive and aerospace facilities NEVER to trust Hydraulic or air systems.
That is the thing I love about the Class C we have in the fleet. You drive them on wood stands and you are good to go. Even if a tire blows out, you are still safe.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

Bruce_Brown
Tom/Barb wrote:

Remember the air ride system is already drained, when you raise the coach. so it has been on the jacks for week. and jacks must be selected up electrically to lower the coach.
When you don't know the difference between falling off a car lift and a coach on its leveling jacks you shouldn't post.

My real job is industrial sales, and ANYTHING that you're relying on hydraulics to hold absolutely MUST also be mechanically held before any work is started. Failure to do so is grounds for immediate dismissal in every plant I go in.

Now, can we please get this thread back on track.

While safety is always a good subject, this thread is about whether to DP or not to DP.
Bruce & Jill Brown

Bruce_Brown
Tom/Barb wrote:

My real job is industrial sales, and ANYTHING that you're relying on hydraulics to hold absolutely MUST also be mechanically held before any work is started. Failure to do so is grounds for immediate dismissal in every plant I go in.

Now, can we please get this thread back on track.

While safety is always a good subject, this thread is about whether to DP or not to DP.
Bruce & Jill Brown

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I only have air leveling no jacks. If I did have jacks I would raise up and block. I have pretty shity luck.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
map40 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
I would bet that when a coach sets a week on the level jacks with out moving, it will set there 15 minutes more while Mike slides under there and changes a brake canister fitting.

No.... Bad assumption. When you go under you TOUCH stuff. Either a hose, a pipe, a valve, you move a hydraulic line out of the way to see better, next thing you know, coach comes down.

Do a search for "Rolls Royce Phanthom kills technician". A poor guy had a Rolls on a lift but did not lock it correctly. When he went under and starter looking at a bolt in the exhaust, the car came down.
It is a really good example on how even when you believe you are safe but you missed a minor safety backup, you could be in trouble.

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:

Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you haven't been a "car guy" (really a mouthful) all your life, you really don't know what you're getting into. ON all my vehicles, including my Dutch Star DP, I've done all my maintenance and upkeep. Just learning about it, like you are starting to do, takes a lot of time out of your life. I often wonder "what if" I had chosen a different path. IOW you can overthink it. Honestly, I would have to know you personally before I would give you advice on this subject.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Bruce_Brown
The only thing I can say is when we were considering our first DP, friends who owned them said '"Do not drive a DP unless you are ready to sign the papers".

They were right. :B
Bruce & Jill Brown

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
It was a joke but my bad... I need to remember that without the Safety Police the gene pool would be self-cleansing.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Air bags and leveling jacks may be a way to get it up in the air, but blocks and heavy weight jack stands are the way to keep it there.
Better to take it to a truck repair sop and get them to install the fitting and line.