Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: To DP or not DP
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> To DP or not DP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the ride and other luxury benefits of a DP.

But they are much more expensive. You have a very heavy vehicle (mine is 38K lbs) which has heavy and expensive parts. Tires run $500+ each for just the tire. My air filter cost $160. I'm about to have the 10 shocks replaced and the shock price is $150. And the list goes on.

Just suggesting you know upfront that they can be are are expensive. Many like to suggest that oil etc is the same as a gasser due to the 15K mileage possibility, maybe but the other expenses not so much.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When buying be aware. I'll pick at the prior Newell link which is a quality coach. New Aguahot could be $9,000. 20KW gen suggests an all electric rig. Note a 50A plug is 12KW. You might need the gen at a 50A site and will definitely need it boon docking. Get 4 slides or full wall for full timing. But at $99K it might be fantastic and 138K miles is not a lot.

I have no direct experience with it's engine but I would think long and hard before buying a Detroit 60. Ditto for Cat which is no longer offered for road vehicles.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 11:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

I have no direct experience with it's engine but I would think long and hard before buying a Detroit 60. Ditto for Cat which is no longer offered for road vehicles.

This is part and parcel of the crux of my post. I wouldn't know a Detroit from a Cat from Shine-ola. I am confident I can lean on you guys for guidance once we start narrowing coaches down, but the main point of the post was feeling a bit overwhelmed by not knowing what I don't know. Never used air brakes, air bags, air leveling. I have a rudimentary understanding how they work but never used them. Same with diesels. My only experience is a Kubota tractor I owned several years ago. Transmissions on DP's are different, etc. I am probably being a little silly and overthinking it (which I tend to do) but my apprehension isn't really about what DP to buy, it's about doing something I've never done and being out of my comfort zone and buying a type of coach I am not familiar with as opposed to an old hat. I know the benefits of a DP which is why it's at the top of my consideration to start with and I have every confidence, as others have said, that owning one for a year I'll probably laugh I ever had these concerns to begin with.

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

I have no direct experience with it's engine but I would think long and hard before buying a Detroit 60.

That would be one of my top picks for a engine

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez,

Wow...THAT's what I'm hoping to find when it's time for me to make the change. Beautiful rig!!! When I look at that and realize that's just about what we paid for our (new) gasser 15 years ago, I want to cry! Don't get me wrong, we've enjoyed our GBM gasser, but there is NO comparison between the two for the value of $100k.

Mike & CA Traveler, without getting into a Ford/Chevy type debate, and for the sake of way2roll and myself, what do each of you see as the pros & cons of the Detroit 60 engine? Like way2roll, I have no clue either.

way2roll, like you, my only real experience with diesel is my 30 hp Kubota tractor. 19 years old and a whopping 350 hours on it! LOL

Thanks,

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (22-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (17), 2 boys (19 & 16).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience is with Cummins so would likely stay with that.

This link seems reasonable to me and I'm sure you can find many more opinions.

http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4697

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Study up on the DPF emissions years before you buy. Anything after 2012 should be DEF and fewer problems. Anything pre-2008 should be no emissions and simpler engines. Even the early ECM engines are pretty reliable.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

I have no direct experience with it's engine but I would think long and hard before buying a Detroit 60.

That would be one of my top picks for a engine

X3 as the series 60 is a far cry from the 2cycle Detroit’s. Buy more DP than you think you need ONE TIME...nothing less than 40-42’ with a tag axle. We are only half timers and will never go smaller. Will be doing 2 months out West mainly boondocking without reservations. Sure it’s harder finding sites big enough but a lot easier today than ever 10 years ago.

What could go wrong with twice the husband on 1/2 the money in a 34’ rig after 5 days of rain.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just looked at the Newell in the link.

To each their own.

If I won that in a raffle I’d sell it the next day. What a tacky money pit.

You pull in in that and they’re thinking now we can make payroll.

There are many county road bridges you can’t drive across.

What a headache.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

Tom/Barb wrote:

mike brez wrote:

Get This One and call it a day.

yeah that ! beautiful !

but a little long in the tooth. (138k miles).
On a Detroit 138K is almost broke in.

At 138k it has had plenty of chance to be misused too.

Those engines that get a million miles are engines in truck fleets, under continual maintenance schedules where the care is much better than 7000k miles pre year and oil changes every 15,000.
given, that the coach will most likely be scrapped with a good engine in it.

doing the routine daily maintenance on a diesel vs a gas, is very small.and oil change is simply an oil change. fuel filters are about the same.
I doubt there is a reader here that would attempt a transmission change or an engine overhaul in either type.
So the OMG the diesel maintenance boogyman is an empty threat.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> To DP or not DP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.