Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: To DP or not DP
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

 > To DP or not DP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
map40

Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 01/15/2005

View Profile



Posted: 07/21/19 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a fleet of RVs. Class Cs, A gassers and A diesels. It is more expensive. For most maintenance items the diesel are easier to find a shop. You have one every 15 miles on a hwy and you can change oil, trans fluid, tires, alignments in some cases.
Gasses are a different thing. Although they are the same as a big van, they want to charge triple. Big shops don't want to work on them because they are too small or too big.
I do most of the maintenance. Diesel is more challenging, but worth it. Just find one that has been used with good maintenance records. 138k miles is on the low side. I have kept gassers over 300K miles with zero problems. That millage in that chassis is 13%of the life expectancy. The equivalent would be a car with 26k miles. Is that too many miles?


Alfa SeeYa, 2015 Jayco XL31, 2015 Itasca XL31, 2012 CA 25, 2008 CA 28. RV with most millage: 312K miles on a V10
Life rocks when your home rolls

mike brez

Unknown

Senior Member

Joined: 09/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/21/19 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

I'd like to make this point.
the day to day maintenance on a diesel vs a gas coach isn't going to be that much different.
the newer the gas the more special electronic dynastic equipment you'll need. diesel not so much until you get into the new emissions era.
So bottom line, you are not going to be doing any heavy maintenance on either. Oil and filters is about as far as the average owner will go.


I like to tinker lol


[image]

[image]


1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

Senior Member

Joined: 02/07/2008

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 07/21/19 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having owned and traveled extensively with both, I think the DP wins hands down. Better handling, able to have a decent conversation while traveling, more CCC etc.etc. All important things if traveling a lot. I also believe the amenities you'll find in the diesel will be superior to the gassers. That said, which should be a topic of another thread, is the difference between a tag axle coach and a non-tag, liftable tag and steerable tag. Since you already said you leave any mechanical 'issues' to pros, my suggestion is to stop overthinking the mechanical parts. Familiarize yourself with air brakes and that system as well as the basics of the diesel engine, i.e. how to drain water from the fuel, etc. and go drive one. Be aware though, be sure to have your check book with you, as once you drive one, you'll be sold.....Dennis


A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG



Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

Senior Member

Joined: 10/16/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/21/19 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

Having owned and traveled extensively with both, I think the DP wins hands down. Better handling, able to have a decent conversation while traveling, more CCC etc.etc. All important things if traveling a lot. I also believe the amenities you'll find in the diesel will be superior to the gassers. That said, which should be a topic of another thread, is the difference between a tag axle coach and a non-tag, liftable tag and steerable tag. Since you already said you leave any mechanical 'issues' to pros, my suggestion is to stop overthinking the mechanical parts. Familiarize yourself with air brakes and that system as well as the basics of the diesel engine, i.e. how to drain water from the fuel, etc. and go drive one. Be aware though, be sure to have your check book with you, as once you drive one, you'll be sold.....Dennis


Agreed, but the days of drawing water from fuel are long gone. 70K miles on ours and never saw a speck of water in the fuel. If some were to get in, our filter will remove it. They do have a bottom drain, I check it about 3-4 times per year, never see any water.

Yes it can get in, but you are going to put it in, it won't come from good fuel supply stations, they have water traps .


2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

Senior Member

Joined: 10/16/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/21/19 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:



I like to tinker lol.


there's always one.

mike brez

Unknown

Senior Member

Joined: 09/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/21/19 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

mike brez wrote:



I like to tinker lol.


there's always one.


Yea now If I could only get under my coach to get to air line so I can install that cylinder I got from you.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/16/2002

View Profile



Posted: 07/21/19 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:


Yea now If I could only get under my coach to get to air line so I can install that cylinder I got from you.

Isn’t that what air bags are for? [emoticon]

Dave


Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36


wolfe10

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 10/08/2000

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/21/19 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

mike brez wrote:


Yea now If I could only get under my coach to get to air line so I can install that cylinder I got from you.

Isn’t that what air bags are for? [emoticon]

Dave


Dave,

Suspect you are joking. But, actually, not funny.

Some newbie may indeed think that the air suspension alone gives them safety to get under the coach.

Newbies: NOT. Air system fails, you do not want to be under there when it happens.

Safety stands are the answer.


Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240


FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

Senior Member

Joined: 02/07/2008

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 07/21/19 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

magicbus wrote:

mike brez wrote:


Yea now If I could only get under my coach to get to air line so I can install that cylinder I got from you.

Isn’t that what air bags are for? [emoticon]

Dave


Dave,

Suspect you are joking. But, actually, not funny.

Some newbie may indeed think that the air suspension alone gives them safety to get under the coach.

Newbies: NOT. Air system fails, you do not want to be under there when it happens.

Safety stands are the answer.


AGREED 100% ! I disconnected a 1/4" air line to replace a solenoid. I was shocked at how fast the coach dropped. Fortunately, I was above in the generator compartment. It was shocking to see the coach drop! Please use SAFETY STANDS or don't get under the coach. Your life may depend on it....Dennis

mike brez

Unknown

Senior Member

Joined: 09/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/21/19 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure if anyone remembers a member on here
Jim Scoggins he was a long time rver and was ready to pull out for a trip with his wife.
Last minute he went to look at something under his Prevost and it came down killing him.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

 > To DP or not DP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS