cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight distribution systems, which one is best?

kamperkomic
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, I need your opinions and suggestions. I have 35ft travel trailer fully loaded at 9500lbs. I'm pulling with a '19 f250 diesel. Using an eaz-lift weight distribution system along with a sway bar. Not really happy with the set up. I'd like to get a all-in-one weight distribution with sway control. I've looked at all the different brands. Looks like blue ox, and equalizer may be the best or the most hyped. They certainly are the most expensive. The other brands are they less expensive and just as good, or less expensive and less quality. Or does it really matter, they are all better than what I'm using. I'll shut and listen to what you have to say. Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

Peter2516
Explorer
Explorer
LibertyMan wrote:
I pretty much have the same set-up as you, 35ft. travel trailer and pull it with a Ram 2500. At first I did not like the set-up either until I started playing with it and getting some good cat scale weights. The eaz-lift 1200lbs distribution bars distribute the weight well, cat scales have confirmed that. But instead of using one friction sway control, I have two on mine. It has pretty much removed nearly all sway. The most important thing to help with sway is having around 15% of the trailers weight as tongue weight. And of course, not drive like a bat out of hell. For around 60 bucks, I would try a second sway control before dropping 2K on another hitch. If it does not work out, then you can spend the big money. Hope this helps some.

Hello there I am new to travel trailer and I am acquiring a used Jayco TY 264BHW the owner has a EAZ lift Elite I am not sure if he has the friction sway control and like the OP I am also looking for upgrade even though I have not tried it out yet but hearing you mentioned adding another friction sway control pretty much removed nearly all sway I might try this set up, my question with having 2 frictions does it alloyyou to back up to the campsite or you have to remove both. Thank you.

To the OP I don’t mean to hijack your tread :). Cheers.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
I've used one like THIS, ($450±) plus a $100 friction sway bar for about 20 years and 10,000 miles. It's set up correctly and it does the job.

That’s the one I use as well but with no sway control. Very easy to set up and use.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I've used one like THIS, ($450±) plus a $100 friction sway bar for about 20 years and 10,000 miles. It's set up correctly and it does the job.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
X whatever we're at

The top 3 with built in sway control, though they cost multiple thousands

Hensley Arrow Hensley Arrow
ProPride ProPride
Pull-Rite Pull-Rite

The next three with built in sway control under $1000
Equal-i-zer Equal-i-zer
Reese straight line (dual cam) Reese straight line
Blue Ox Blue ox

I'm sure there are others.

I think the Husky Centerline fits into the second category as well.

I have a Equalizer I found used that works well for my setup.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 1500/15,000 Blue Ox with our 31' 9500 lb TT. TW is 1350 per Oregon scales. So far it seems to do the job well enough.

Been all over the west with it in all sorts of conditions and never had a white knuckle moment.

Only issue I don't like with the B/O is the chain release part. I have a 2' breaker bar and it's still an exciting event trying to release the chains.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Blue-Ox because it rides the best, due to the tapered spring bars. I'm not convinced it really does much for sway-control. The Reese Dual cam is far better at eliminating the bow-wave affect from passing trucks, but my van turns so tight I could bind up the bars against the hitch-shank. Can't do that with the Blue Ox so that was the deciding factor for me this time around.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
LibertyMan wrote:
I pretty much have the same set-up as you, 35ft. travel trailer and pull it with a Ram 2500. At first I did not like the set-up either until I started playing with it and getting some good cat scale weights. The eaz-lift 1200lbs distribution bars distribute the weight well, cat scales have confirmed that. But instead of using one friction sway control, I have two on mine. It has pretty much removed nearly all sway. The most important thing to help with sway is having around 15% of the trailers weight as tongue weight. And of course, not drive like a bat out of hell. For around 60 bucks, I would try a second sway control before dropping 2K on another hitch. If it does not work out, then you can spend the big money. Hope this helps some.

x2 on this.

i have the same hitch as your current one with one sway bar. our TT is 38ft, approx 9500 to 10k lbs loaded to camp.

my truck is a ford f250 gasser 6.2 with 3.73 rear end.

i have towed it up and down the east coast, mountains to the coast. very little to no, sway in winds and large trucks passing us on highway.

tows like a dream. i took the hitch off our first TT that we traded in, it was 33ft and approx 7500lb catscaled ready to camp. it did not tow any better than current TT honestly not as well.

the key difference for me is that on the current TT hitch installation we had it done by a 25 year veteran rv tech. he really spent a good amount of time getting it setup properly with the truck hitch head.

another question is what type floor plan do you have? our first TT was rear kitchen which caused more weight behind axles, leading us to move as much weight forward as possible. current TT is rear living with most weight over axles. another reason it seems to tow better, especially with black tank, and bathroom grey tank almost full

its a tried and true hitch system.

to each his own and im sure the expensive hitches are great but for my money i would try to adjust your current one or add another sway bar before spending the extra money.

zanzarista
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, the neighbor delivers New Air Streams across the northwest using an Air Stream provided company tow vehicle. Their tow vehicles appear to be FORDs, at least that's all I've seen and all use the Blue Ox set up. This is not an endorsement of either FORD or Blue Ox, just tellin ya what I've seen in his driveway. The other point is that these Air Stream trailers are EMPTY, no water or payload of any kind. He tells me he's not had any issue towing.
Personally, I have a Eqa-li-zer brand that came with my used TT. I've recently discovered the hitch is at it's limit. The TT is about 7880lbs and Tongue weight with very little in the trailer is 1000lbs measured by a Sherline scale I bought from Sherline. The hitch is rated for 1000lbs, which means it could easily be overloaded when We load up for a trip. The RAM 2500 factory hitch, claims to have a 1200lb max..Hmmmm... I'm considering the Andersen Sway Pro but need more data... I'd love to get a Hensley, but the weight of the Hensley hitch alone, would add another 100 lbs to the tongue.... So, I'm still considering... Best of luck with your choice.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2021 RAM 3500 6.7HO CC SRW
2017 Arctic Fox 25W
Escapees Member
Blue Ox with StrapTek
HAM operator - monitoring 146.52 on the road
1 favorite wife
1 Schnauzer and 1 Westy

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
X whatever we're at

The top 3 with built in sway control, though they cost multiple thousands

Hensley Arrow Hensley Arrow
ProPride ProPride
Pull-Rite Pull-Rite

The next three with built in sway control under $1000
Equal-i-zer Equal-i-zer
Reese straight line (dual cam) Reese straight line
Blue Ox Blue ox

I'm sure there are others.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
there are many WDH setups that are way more than adequate for this size trailer and will provide excellent WD and sway control. Which is "best" define what your criteria are.

Hensley, Propride and blue ox are very high quality units. Reese Dual cam, Equalizer are also very good units. IMHO any of these units properly adjusted will serve you well.

I have the Reese Dual cam with 1600lb bars for my 32ft 9000lb trailer with 1450 lbs of tongue weight and it works very well.

In my case one requirement was a hitch that would work with my air safe air ride reciever setup. While I may be mistaken, I didn't see how the hensley would work with that reciever setup. The dual cam is definitely not a casual setup hitch. It takes attention to detail to get it set up properly, but once set up is very good.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
I tow with a husky setup, always pulled a fifth till this unit, an Imagine 29 footer. I took the time to read and understand the hitch manufacturer's instructions, and couldn't be happier with the results,when I bought the trailer, the dealership mounted the hitch and showed me how it worked, but it was set up wrong. I read and followed directions in my driveway, can't believe the difference in how it pulls after me setting up the hitch and bars the way husky recommends. Education is important.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
If a Equalizer or Blue Ox hitch is too expensive for the OP, there is no chance that he will consider a Hensley or Propride.

In addition to the Equalizer and Blue Ox, there is also the OG of integrated sway control hitches, the Reese Dual Cam.

If this is true then my only recommendation would be to get a hitch with BUILT IN sway control. I never liked the idea of adding the bars. How many do you put on? How tight do you adjust them? What about backing up? I know that many out there use them and have had no trouble with them. I personally would be asking myself too many questions.

I have and Equalizer and have used them over the last 15 years without an issue. The Airstream forum pushes the HA and PP. They are the best I am told. I am happy with my Equalizer and have never had an issue. I don't like the big cost of those hitches and the challenge of hooking up. Experienced users say they get onto to it with a little practice. I watched a guy try to back up onto the stinger. It wasn't an easy exercise.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If a Equalizer or Blue Ox hitch is too expensive for the OP, there is no chance that he will consider a Hensley or Propride.

In addition to the Equalizer and Blue Ox, there is also the OG of integrated sway control hitches, the Reese Dual Cam.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
When I got into the TT towing many years ago the Reese Dual Cam-Loc was recommended to me. I have used this system on all of my tow vehicles with great success. The initial dial in takes a little time and after that things are good. For the most part towing with the set up in my sig is worry and trouble free.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.