cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buena Vista CO area

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
I am having a difficult time finding good reviews online for a campground near Buena Vista. Here's a little about us and our trip:

We don't have a generator and need power.
We are 40' long.
We are planning on four nights in the area to see Maroon Bells, Leadville, Snowmass rodeo, etc.
We are coming from Ouray and will be leaving BV area to head to Illinois via US 24.

Do you have any recommendations and reviews on a CG that has power and water and possibly views of mountains and maybe a stream? Too much to ask for??

Brian
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!
7 REPLIES 7

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at Snowy Peaks a couple of times. Good experiences both times.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have stayed in the town jail after coming down off Wolf Creek in December and losing my lights. It was around 20 below and snowing hard.

caver
Nomad
Nomad
I use google maps and just zoom in on an area and then type something like "rv parks" in the search box. read those reviews and remember some people will complain about the dumbest things. It's like people who order something from amazon and give the product one star because the shipper didn't wrap in in a pretty bow and also offer to cut their grass.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Snowy Peaks, Mt. Princeton, KOA, Arrowhead Point will all work for you. We live in BV and stayed at all but the KOA before moving here. All three will have road noise and no access to the AR River. If you are coming this summer, you had better start calling now for reservations. May be a bit hard getting reservations.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
The two I would suggest are Arrowhead Point about 5 miles north of town and the KOA just south of town at Johnson Village.

I have stayed at both multiple times. I don't often recommend KOA, but this is one that I do recommend.

These two are at the top of my list, and we've been going to Buena Vista for over 50 years (not always in an RV!:)

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
WrightOn wrote:
I am having a difficult time finding good reviews online for a campground near Buena Vista. Here's a little about us and our trip:

We don't have a generator and need power.
We are 40' long.
We are planning on four nights in the area to see Maroon Bells, Leadville, Snowmass rodeo, etc.
We are coming from Ouray and will be leaving BV area to head to Illinois via US 24.

Do you have any recommendations and reviews on a CG that has power and water and possibly views of mountains and maybe a stream? Too much to ask for??

Brian

You don't indicate WHERE you've looked for reviews, so H E R E - Buena Vista Area is a link to campgroundreviews.com for that area. Several commercial campgrounds that would check most of your boxes. It's been a while since I've been over in that area, but stayed previously in some of the higher rated commercial parks, and looks like they remain consistently high rated. As mentioned previously, the KOA in Johnson Village is nice, it sits back off the highway and has some commanding views of the Collegiate Range.

You could also look a bit further south in Salida/Poncha Springs, or north in Leadville.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I only know of Mt Princeton RV Park, Snowy Peaks and the KOA there are surely others in the area though. Never stayed at any of them except the KOA. Views depend on the specific site at KOA the other two should have good/decent views of the Collegiate Peaks since they are on the east side of the highway but again may depend on site if someone is in front of you etc. The Arkansas River runs behind Snowy and Princeton however no idea if you have access to it from the campground and it is running very high at the moment due to the late snow melt this year. Koa has no streams unless it rains hard like it did our last stay it just dumped rain for about an hour several inches, hail the whole deal. It did some major damage but as soon as it stopped they had the loader out clearing the roadway and filling in the new 2' deep water ways. A couple trailers in storage were sunk up to the frames where the water washed out the ground underneath their jacks. However outside of a few not being able to get out due to the washouts until the loader got them fixed all the campsites themselves seemed ok and no one suffered any water damage at least from the washouts and there was total accessibility within 90 minutes they really did get the loader working quickly so people could come and go.
The KOA sits quite a bit further back away from hwy 285 so no real traffic noise. The other two sit right on 24 since I havent stayed there cant say for sure but have to believe there would be more traffic noise.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS