Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Electric brakes self adjusting?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Electric brakes self adjusting?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

I do not believe they are self adjusting. Here is what could be your axle information.
Dexter
Or this manual
Dexter sprung axles
The one Dexter manual link shows self-adjusting brakes for 7,000 lb. axles, and the other one doesn't go in to much detail.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just look for a white tag an the backside of an axle. Should be 2 on there. One with axle numbers the other with brake info.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Roger10378

Goodrich, MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/19 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Dexter self-adjusting do so when going forward and braking

Dexter self-adjusting (as others) can be and should be manually adjusted when new or whenever hub is pulled

Dexter self-adjusting as days of old use a cable from brake shoe pivot to adjuster lever on star wheel. Lever engages teeth on star wheel so to manually adjust you have to push lever out of teethe and away from star wheel then rotate star wheel while holding lever out if the way-----hence 2 open slots on bottom of backing plate

2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Roger10378

Goodrich, MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/19 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to disagree with the last part. I have never seen a brake that you have to hold the lever off the star wheel to tighten the brake adjustment. You only need to hold it to slacken the adjustment. The reason for the two holes is that they use the same backing plate stamping for both the right and left brake, so the star wheel will be behind the one hole on the right and the other hole on the left.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roger10378 wrote:

I have to disagree with the last part. I have never seen a brake that you have to hold the lever off the star wheel to tighten the brake adjustment. You only need to hold it to slacken the adjustment. The reason for the two holes is that they use the same backing plate stamping for both the right and left brake, so the star wheel will be behind the one hole on the right and the other hole on the left.

Semantics......

To adjust one tightens star wheel until tire can not be rotated by hand THEN backs off star wheel until tire rotates with slight drag.
Hard to do with auto adjust lever engaged.

Hard to disengage auto lever without 2 holes cause you can't get 2 tools thru one hole at same time.

Semantics.......

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Roger10378 wrote:

Semantics......

To adjust one tightens star wheel until tire can not be rotated by hand THEN backs off star wheel until tire rotates with slight drag.
Hard to do with auto adjust lever engaged.

Hard to disengage auto lever without 2 holes cause you can't get 2 tools thru one hole at same time.

Semantics.......

No, it is not semantics. The 2 holes are so the star wheel can be reached no matter which side the backing plate is mounted. I never had any issue sticking a rod thru the same hole as the brake spoon.

Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Took a good look with a flashlight in the two slots in backing plate. There is no adjusting wheel so I assume this means they are self adjusting?

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rwake901 wrote:

Took a good look with a flashlight in the two slots in backing plate. There is no adjusting wheel so I assume this means they are self adjusting?

No! It means you need to take it to somebody to take things apart. Something has come apart. Self adjusting use a star wheel, normally finer teeth than manual adjusting.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed, there is a star wheel whether they are self adjusting or manual adjusting. The star wheel is how the adjustment is made.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you will be interested in the following two threads, both by our resident mechanical expert John Barca, and full of good close-up pictures to help with understanding.

The first one is all about maintaining your standard electric brakes and wheel bearings and is a sticky at the top of the Towing forum.
Annual brake inspection and Axle Re-Lube..

This one is all about Dexter Self Adjusting brakes and is similar to the 1st one but with different pictures and explanations of how the self adjusting brakes work. The adjusting wheel is under the magnet and behind the yellow spring at the bottom of the first picture.
Dexter Self Adjusting brakes.

Both threads have good pictures of the adjusting star wheels down near the end of the opening post.
Hope this help you out! [emoticon]
Barney

* This post was edited 07/23/19 04:05pm by BarneyS *

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Electric brakes self adjusting?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.