Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Electric brakes self adjusting?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Electric brakes self adjusting?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2019...what does the documents show for your trailer? usually it's an option or listed as a standard feature.

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2015 Wildcat 317RL, MoRryde rubber pin box, Titan Disc Brakes, Trojan T105
B&W Ram Companion

Yamaha EF2600c tri-fuel generator
Champion Model 46595- 3000/3500w

Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looked at a different wheel tonight and found the adjusting wheel. It’s mostly hidden behind a piece of metal that I’m assuming is the self adjuster. Which means that I shouldn’t have to adjust them because they will eventually adjust themselves. Right?

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/19 01:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rwake901 wrote:

Looked at a different wheel tonight and found the adjusting wheel. It’s mostly hidden behind a piece of metal that I’m assuming is the self adjuster. Which means that I shouldn’t have to adjust them because they will eventually adjust themselves. Right?

You should still adjust them at your annual brake inspection and repacking of bearings. Of course a good time to do that is the day you bring a trailer home so you know the condition and what you have.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 04:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rwake901 wrote:

You do understand that self adjusters can only work when the trailer moves and stops? And you consider using it for some unknown time with brakes out of adjustment?

texasjayco

Texas Hill Country - west of Austin

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

You can get the axles specs off the tag on the axle, submit that info to Dexter, and they will tell you the specifics of your axle, which may include references to self-adjusting brakes.

I did just that, and Dexter was very good about returning my emails with very good info.

I just sent them the number from the sticker on the axle shaft.

Mark

2019 Jayco Pinnacle 38REFS
2011 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel Dually

My Hometown

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/19 10:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rwake901 wrote:

Not if the braking performance is poor. Hence the need for initial adjustment. Have you manually applied the trailer brakes at full power? Maybe the controller needs adjustment. Virtually new should be working but no guaranty.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/19 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Rwake901 wrote:

Not if the braking performance is poor. Hence the need for initial adjustment. Have you manually applied the trailer brakes at full power? Maybe the controller needs adjustment. Virtually new should be working but no guaranty.

I will adjust them this weekend. I have the brake controller turned up as high as it will go.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Electric brakes self adjusting?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.