Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: AUDI Q5 for towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> AUDI Q5 for towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
oldbebo

ARIZONA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Audi Q5 is rated for 4400 lbs has a 220 HP engine and I would like to tow one of the new lighter travel trailers. Thinking hummingbird 17RB dry weight 2890, RPod 189 dry w. 2792, Mini Drop WD1705 dry w. 2800, Or the one I like best and the heaviest Winnebago 1700BH AT 3010. I know it would be ideal to buy a truck but with the Audi would you just go with the lightest of those mentioned or does the extra 2 or 3 hundred lbs really make a difference. I have many years of towing experience 27 ft Airstream w/ ford F150 truck and 17ft. Casita with 6 cyd.nizzan frontier. Never had any problems with those.....Any trailers I am missing.

trailer_newbe

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need to know your cargo carrying capacity of the Q5. Max tow weight does not mean much without knowing the CCC of the vehicle.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

seaeagle2

seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

looks like on some of the Q5's max tongue weight is 440, not sure how that translates into the payload,

2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what's the payload? I would think you are asking a lot from a vehicle not well suited to towing. should command a decent trade in value if you want to look at getting a proper tow vehicle.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion. The Q5 is a unibody car with no frame. The goal of the manufacturer is to make them as light as possible. Any hitch will be attached to re-inforced body panels. Will it tow the trailer? Sure. But what damage will towing do over time? Audis aren't cheap. Maybe a more suitable TV would be a better choice.

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been towing with unibody vehicles for decades without issues, as have many others. There are unibody vehicles that can tow up to 7,700 lbs available (VW Touareg). The "unibody is no good for towing" is a myth, if one stays within all manufacturer recommended limits.

On the Q5, as others have mentioned, the most likely limit that would come into effect is payload capacity.

Also keep in mind it's a fairly short wheelbase, high center of gravity, vehicle so you'll also be better off using one of the better WD hitches with sway control.

2016 AmeriLite SuperLite 198BH
2008 Toyota Sienna
Hensley Cub

oldbebo

ARIZONA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, The maximum payload is 1047lbs. And yes I would definitely us a WD hitch. Still debating on 600 or 800 lb unit. Have always used sway control even on my little Casita.

OleManOleCan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oldbebo wrote:

OK, The maximum payload is 1047lbs. And yes I would definitely us a WD hitch. Still debating on 600 or 800 lb unit. Have always used sway control even on my little Casita.

Not to rain on the parade, but you don't have a quality tow vehicle.
Just because a vehicle can move a RV doesn't make it a tow vehicle.
Think of the combined weight of passengers, water, propane, and things like lawn chairs. Think about tongue weight.
Lastly, think about this... Can your vehicle stop the RV at speeds of 50 MPH?

One more thing... Are there any mountains you need to climb?

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's nothing wrong with towing with a unibody. These aren't 80's K-cars. Some unibodies are rated for well over 7,000 pounds (Touareg, Grand Cherokee, Ford Transit), and some even require weight distribution for max towing (Ford Explorer/Flex).

The Audi Q5 has more braking power than most half-ton trucks from 15 years ago.

1,047 pounds of payload is better than a high-trim Ram 1500 EcoDiesel.

That said.... The 440 hitch limit is a hard limit. Weight Distribution won't fix that. That hitch limit effectively limits it to trailers under 3,000 pounds. Not only that, the Q5 is NOT APPROVED for use with a weight distributing hitch.

OP - Those Ultra-Light trailers proposed look doable, but only if you don't carry rear seat passengers or much cargo in the trunk, because of how the tongue weight will load the rear axle, especially since you can't use weight distribution. If it's only 2 of you, it might be doable. Family of 4? Probably not.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

oldbebo

ARIZONA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks caringb for the very useful information. I will never have more than 2 in the car with a combined weight of 270 lbs. I do realize that I will have to limit the toys I bring along.but that should not be a problem and the Audi Q5 is rated as an excellent tow vehicle in europe where they do a lot of “caravanning” I do plan to rent a similar weight trailer for a couple days test run before actually spend real money!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> AUDI Q5 for towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.