Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The verdict is in! DRW vs SRW....real world

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer

Today's setup

Last months setup

After getting the new rig setup with tie downs etc and finally getting a chance to install the swing outs and load up the camper I was flat out floored.

Buying the dually was money very well spent! Had I listened, and done this sooner I would have saved the $5000 or so I spent on the SRW truck trying to get it to handle the 990 better. I thought I did a great job until I drove the new setup today.

WOW! Loving it!
Thanks all! Now it's time to get camping again!
2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990
82 REPLIES 82

Bedlam
The glove box sticker assumes a 150 lb occupant is filling every available seat in the truck resulting in a number lower than the tire size specific payload sticker on the door jamb.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Marcela wrote:
The payload may be up there for a DRW, but inside the glove box is going to be a lower number for slide in truck camper. I looked at a GMC diesel DRW, might have been CC, and the slide in camper recommendation was around 3200#. I'm pretty sure their engineers take into account weight transfer and maybe other factors.

It's very confusing what is right and what is wrong to some and TC magazine completely ignores actual payload for example, the AF-865 and recommends a 1-ton single axle with a payload 50# more than the actual TC disregarding passengers and the actual payload ready to put the TC on..

TC Magazine wrote:
Truck Recommendations
At the 4,378.5-pound wet weight, there are two very good truck matching options for the long bed Arctic Fox 865 under review. First, it is more than possible to match this camper with a one-ton single rear wheel truck.

That stated, very few one-ton single rear wheel trucks offer anything near that much payload. To get a one-ton single rear wheel truck with enough payload (4,378.5-pounds or better), you will likely need to special order a truck.

A 2019 Ford F-350 XLT single-rear wheel (SRW), Crew Cab, 4×4 offers up to 4,450-pounds of payload capacity. That’s a nice truck, but you won’t likely find it on a dealer lot. It’s a special order.

Yet GMC describes payload as such..

GMC Motors wrote:
Knowing both your vehicle’s gross vehicle weight and gross vehicle weight rating allow you to quickly calculate how much you can safely carry. For example, take a look at the 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD double cab with the EcoTec3 4.3L V6. The gross vehicle weight rating for this particular model is 7,100 pounds†. The weight of the Sierra itself is already 5,216 pounds. By subtracting the weight from the GVWR, you can determine this particular Sierra can carry about 1,884 pounds without exceeding its maximum weight rating.

That doesn’t necessarily mean you can universally carry 1,884 pounds of cargo in its pickup box – the weight of passengers within the cab also needs to be factored into the GVWR. If you have two 200-pound passengers climb into that same Sierra, it now has an available capacity of 1,484 pounds.

It's important to always abide by the GVWR specifically set for your GMC truck or SUV. In the course of vehicle development, professional engineers have extensively pushed these vehicles to their limits in order to keep you, your passengers, and your belongings safe and to avoid damage to your vehicle. Staying within these limits helps your truck, trailer, and travel remain safe.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
The payload may be up there for a DRW, but inside the glove box is going to be a lower number for slide in truck camper. I looked at a GMC diesel DRW, might have been CC, and the slide in camper recommendation was around 3200#. I'm pretty sure their engineers take into account weight transfer and maybe other factors.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice truck emcvay.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
#1Flyboy wrote:
I read a lot of posts and although I WANTED a SRW I got what I needed, a DRW.... Got a 2019 AF865 ( lightest AF TC by the way ) & I’m 1500 over the GVWR.....Please don’t fool yourself with your thoughts...

Must be an old dually with a low gvwr?
You couldn’t pack enough _____ in a 865 to pit it over the gvw of a newer dually.

:B:B:B
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kids..........

Stop!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Jim..My numbers are correct for the options on this AF-865 reviewed and I quote:
TC Magazine review AF-865 wrote:
On the manufacturer’s invoice, the unit under review had five options; thermal-pane windows, Fox Landing bumper step, 11,000 BTU air conditioner, WI-FI extender, and the above described Fox Value Package.

We already included the 595-pound weight of the Fox Value Package in the dry weight. We then estimated the weight of the above options to 175-pounds.

Taking the base dry weight of 3,236-pounds (with the Fox Value Package) and adding the 175-pound option weight we get 3,411-pounds. With this dry with options weight, let’s run the numbers.

Arctic Fox 865: dry weight, 3,411 pounds + 28 gallons fresh, 233.5 pounds + 6 gallon full hot water heater, 50 pounds + 2x 30-pound full propane tanks, 54 pounds + 2 batteries, 130 pounds + stuff, 500 pounds = 4,378.5 pounds

Link to Article

And that weight does not include a generator!

They ad 500# of stuff which is pretty lite IMO when someone like me carries alot of stuff not included in the truck dry weight or the TC wet weight and neither of those weights included a horse mat/TL tie downs and turnbuckles or the passengers..The latter 3 can easily reach 500# more weight towards the GVWR..

From people posting there weights,we know the AF-990 would be over weight for that 2019 GMC 3500 DRW at about 4800# loaded ready to camp(leaving room for a 100# driver and no tie downs or bed mats)..By the way,TC magazine has the AF-990 at 4781# ready to camp in there buyers guide..Close huh!!!

So the AF-811 would also over load the brand new GMC DRW also because it is only 200# lighter than the 990 and the new GMC only has 4900# payload..

The AF-865 is 400 pounds lighter than the AF-990,so loaded as the posters here load there AF-990, it would give you 500# extra pounds to reach the new GMC 4900# payload..That would be eaten up with tie downs/turnbuckles/TL mounts/horse mat and two people...

And the posters that posted do not full time as #1Flyboy does..Anyone who has full timed in an RV knows you take way more than you would on a vacation or camping trip,it is home and you need almost everything sometime or another..I have full timed many times..The AF-865 has a bunch of storage for the extra's also, unlike many TC's.

So the AF-865 could carry a bunch of weight if a person was full timing..I always carry a bunch of tools and tire chains along with an AC/generator and extra gas,none of which is included in my 4600# payload or the TC weight..That stuff is heavy as is my wifes "Iron Skillets"...

I guess we all camp differently and carry different stuff,some have pets/there food/leashes/dishes and pack more booze than others..

All in fun as that's what an RV is supposed to be for...
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocreek, it’s pretty simple. Your math isn’t correct. TCM says,

“Arctic Fox 865: dry weight, 3,236 pounds + 28 gallons fresh, 233.5 pounds + 6 gallon full hot water heater, 50 pounds + 2x 30-pound full propane tanks, 54 pounds + 2 batteries, 130 pounds + stuff, 500 pounds = 4,203.5 pounds”

In other words, the wet weight without stuff (500 lbs) is 3703.5 lbs. That leaves 1196.5 lbs to get to 4900 payload that you posted not 500. BTW, the fulltimer you posted about has a payload according to him of 6700 lbs though. Not sure why there is an 1800 lb difference unless one of you guys has your payload number wrong. The number I found was was around 5900 which would make the stuff number go all of the way to 2196.5 lbs of stuff. Assuming you aren’t carrying the tailgate, and you can gain about 50 lbs more.

Theoretically possible to reach if you carry enough weights for weight training extra batteries etc. Not very normal though.

For the fulltimer, you say ready to camp. That’s your words not his since he admitted he has weights for weight training, no freshwater, and partial grey tank. Again, he also says he has a 6700 lb payload, so even in his extreme case, he’s going to be 1000 lbs under GVWR after filling his freshwater tank.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
There is no way a 2019 GM 3500 HD dually is going to be over the legal payload carrying an AF865.

I just do not understand..4900# of payload is just that,4900# and it does not matter if that manufacturer designated payload is in a 2019 GMC 3500 DRW or a 1975 Ford F-350,the manufacturer labeled payload is still 4900#

Put a 4400# TC like an well optioned AF-865 and ad a horse mat/turnbuckles and tie downs and two people,your at or over that 4900# payload with ease...Not to mention the extra's some people carry..

There are several people here that think just because it is a new DRW,there is know way in heck a non-slide TC can overload it..It can easily,depending on the designated payload of that new DRW..

I give..(laffin)..I agree to respectfully disagree on this one..(Tapp'n Out)
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
The sticker inside my glove box of my 2015 GMC 3500 HD dually states slide-in truckcamper weight to 4,913 lbs., my AF 990 scales at 4,880 with water, propane and 2 batteries. I believe a 2019 350/3500 dually can carry a AF 865 without being over the rated capacity of the truck.

Taylor Dzaman full times in a AF-990 and is single..He did a video on his AF-990 weight which was 5200+ loaded,just with his stuff,being single..

Full timing in an RV requires more stuff than a weekend out camping just as the weight #1Flyboy posted on his AF-865..

Jayco, I don’t know what to tell you, my weight is ready to go on a 6 week, 8,650 mile trip to the west coast and back with my wife, Honda 2000i generator and 3 gallons of gas for it. I guess the CAT scales lie.
There is no way a 2019 GM 3500 HD dually is going to be over the legal payload carrying an AF865.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I had to go back and look at Taylors video on his AF-990 weight..Full timing as a single guy, he has over 1500# of stuff in his AF added to the 3600 dry weight..5100+ ready to camp and everything is not full..

Here is the video..

Taylor Dzaman weighing his AF-990
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
My S&S add 100lbs to the front with the water tank full.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

towpro
Explorer
Explorer

see how the front end is lighter loaded? and I think that is with my front rack on, that included a Honda 2000, some fuel, maybe a little weber grill, all inside a giant plastic box
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
topro-What is your curb weight of your truck that you weighed?

2019 GMC 3500 specs..

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04