Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Mounting back up camera
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Mounting back up camera

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Big_steve

SW Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would like to mount a back-up camera on my TT. I loathe the thought of drilling into the exterior wall. The camera is very small and weighs almost nothing. Was thinking RTV silicone glue might be a good option.

Any thoughts appreciated...

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/19 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Properly sealed (Dicor, Eternabond) holes won’t leak. Your tail lights have holes. But the glue should work too.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

neschultz

Eastern Shore of MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 ideas:

I took a screw out of the molding going across the top rear and mounted the camera there on my last TT. Taped the wires to the molding with some Eternabond tape pieces and ran them over to the refrigerator vent and down to get power.

On a previous TT, I took the top middle clearance light off and added an Al plate behind it with the camera mounted to it. Camera wires went thru a channel in the plate to the light power wires.

Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

Fleet Man

Western WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/19 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Construction grade adhesive on a small mounting plate.

2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 01:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

neschultz wrote:

2 ideas:

I took a screw out of the molding going across the top rear and mounted the camera there on my last TT. Taped the wires to the molding with some Eternabond tape pieces and ran them over to the refrigerator vent and down to get power.

On a previous TT, I took the top middle clearance light off and added an Al plate behind it with the camera mounted to it. Camera wires went thru a channel in the plate to the light power wires.

What's an Al plate?

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

neschultz

Eastern Shore of MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

neschultz wrote:

2 ideas:

What's an Al plate?

Aluminum plate

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3M automotive trim tape? It's a double sided tape that is used to hold various emblems and trim on cars.

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got a rear window? I mounted my camera inside, looking through the window. The wiring was easy, never any mud on the camera lens.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many camera's can you afford to buy[emoticon] Mounting with 2 sided tape or Silicone is not a good idea. Both will allow the camera to come loose from vibration and in transit. Drilling a hole(2 screw holes) will not cause any problems. Just make sure you remove the screws after install. Inject rubber silicone sealant into the 2 holes and then reinstall. There are dozens of "holes" in your Trailer already. Doug

Big_steve

SW Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harvey51 wrote:

Got a rear window? I mounted my camera inside, looking through the window. The wiring was easy, never any mud on the camera lens.

[emoticon]

Something to consider...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Mounting back up camera
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.