cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summer Route & Campground Suggestions for Utah & Idaho

RussOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the Grand Canyon area thinking about heading to Idaho. It's July and hot. I am looking for suggestions for routing suggestions from Bryce NP to Mullan ID. If there are ways to beat the heat following a more mountainous route we would consider that provided we can negotiate the route and campgrounds with a 34' 5th wheel. Otherwise we would consider commercial campgrounds where we can run our A/C.

We prefer more rural over city camping, are equipped to boondock which we like to do but if the weather is really hot we have opted for commercial campgrounds for the A/C factor.

It looks like I-15 would get us there fast but if there is something prettier where the heat wouldn't be oppressive we'd prefer that. We have no particular time frame. We prefer to hang out at nice places for a week or more but will blow through areas to avoid unfavorable weather.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Subscribe to my blog for photo tips, travel, boondocking, campground, product user reports and more: RussOnTheRoad.wordpress.com
11 REPLIES 11

RussOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
Update:

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and suggestions.

We stayed almost the limit at Ten-X camp in Tusayan near the Grand Canyon. Then we headed up 89 through Page, AZ to Bryce as it was the only one of the National Parks in southern Utah cool enough to visit. We will catch the others on our way south. We had a great boondocking location in the Dixie National Forest near Bryce.

We then headed north on 89 blowing through the heat of Utah as quickly as we could, staying a night at each of a few commercial campgrounds with electricity so we could run the A/C.

We circumvented Salt Lake by heading around it to the east passing through Heber City before cutting NW to Ogden and heading N to Ketchum ID where we are now staying in a Forest Service campground and really enjoying the fabulous weather, beautiful surroundings, bicycling and hiking. We also visited the Ernest Hemingway Memorial and his gravesite. Groceries are pricey here but our campsite is just $8 a night with our senior pass. Even the most expensive diesel is way less than in CA.

From here we will head N through Challis and Salmon, ID, and Missoula, MT up to the Mullan, ID area where we will bicycle the Hiawatha Trail before heading south to southern Utah when the weather has cooled off a little. We haven't decided on the routing south yet. We may come back this way or head through Wyoming and Colorado. We'll see.

Thanks again!
Subscribe to my blog for photo tips, travel, boondocking, campground, product user reports and more: RussOnTheRoad.wordpress.com

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
A We've been to Glacier multiple times and skipped it this year. As usual it was raining there

We were in Glacier for 4 days the end of June and the weather was perfect

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a matter of fact we just left the Idaho padhandle and the Sawtooths. It was cool and with a little rain. We camped in Challis, wanted to boondock in the Stanley area but it was raining two days straight. Stopped in McCall, got on Hwy 95 the next day and proceeded up to Bonner's Ferry over 3 or 4 days. On to Montana where we boondocked at the Hungry Horse reservoir (not recommended the place was packed). And then west on Hwy 2. We've been to Glacier multiple times and skipped it this year. As usual it was raining there
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

RussOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
Idrzr wrote:
Stanley, Idaho Currently has fire burnjng west of there about 12 miles.
The highway is, (was) closed traveling towards the Idaho City area as of last night.

Thanks for the heads-up!!

Idrzr
Explorer
Explorer
Stanley, Idaho Currently has fire burnjng west of there about 12 miles.
The highway is, (was) closed traveling towards the Idaho City area as of last night.

RussOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
From G Canyon I’d head to Durango CO and then work my way N staying in CO. This would let you hit the Tetons and Ystone and then W to ID. I’m hoping by the middle of September it will be cool enough to enjoy UT.

I know that route. I've done it before. In fact parts of it more than once. I was in Silverton and Ouray CO last summer, along with the Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier.

I think Bryce will be cool enough to visit due to elevation. From there I think we are wanting to skedaddle north.

Thanks for the idea!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
From G Canyon I’d head to Durango CO and then work my way N staying in CO. This would let you hit the Tetons and Ystone and then W to ID. I’m hoping by the middle of September it will be cool enough to enjoy UT.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

RussOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
kknowlton wrote:
Not that there is a guarantee it will be really cool in the mountains - it's often in the 90s there midsummer too. Coolest spots near us (s.e. ID) these days are Yellowstone and Stanley,ID (the Sawtooth Mts). Some beautiful NFS campgrounds w/o hookups near Stanley - I believe some take reservations and others are first-come. Some of those sites will fit your rig.

IMO there is no truly easy way north to the Coeur d'Alene area, except I-15, which is going to be the least scenic way. Not terrible, but you will have to go thru SLC (awful traffic). If you go up the western route thru Idaho, you'll hit Boise (slightly less awful traffic). Once north of those cities, though, there are some pleasant drives. Going north from Salmon, ID, you have some pretty amazing mountain passes - lots of switchbacks, etc. Do-able (we did it with our trailer in tow) but not exactly "easy."

A few private campgrounds we have tried and liked reasonably well: Richfield UT KOA - pleasantly shady through much of the campground (near US 89 & I70, not far from I-15); Montpelier ID KOA (some sites shady; rural atmosphere, not far from town); Southside RV Park, Dillon MT (off I-15) - on edge of town, far enough off I-15 that road noise is diminished, some shade; Buffalo (NFS) CG on US 20, Island Park, ID - one loop has electric sites & some sites close enough to water that you can refill a tank, and that loop does have some sites big enough for your rig; Jim & Mary's RV Park, Missoula MT (shady, older but pleasant).

Thanks so much!

Mbiviano
Explorer
Explorer
We spent last 2 weeks in Coeur d'alene area and no need for AC units...just left windows open. Was on Oregon coast prior to that and same thing.
Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Not that there is a guarantee it will be really cool in the mountains - it's often in the 90s there midsummer too. Coolest spots near us (s.e. ID) these days are Yellowstone and Stanley,ID (the Sawtooth Mts). Some beautiful NFS campgrounds w/o hookups near Stanley - I believe some take reservations and others are first-come. Some of those sites will fit your rig.

IMO there is no truly easy way north to the Coeur d'Alene area, except I-15, which is going to be the least scenic way. Not terrible, but you will have to go thru SLC (awful traffic). If you go up the western route thru Idaho, you'll hit Boise (slightly less awful traffic). Once north of those cities, though, there are some pleasant drives. Going north from Salmon, ID, you have some pretty amazing mountain passes - lots of switchbacks, etc. Do-able (we did it with our trailer in tow) but not exactly "easy."

A few private campgrounds we have tried and liked reasonably well: Richfield UT KOA - pleasantly shady through much of the campground (near US 89 & I70, not far from I-15); Montpelier ID KOA (some sites shady; rural atmosphere, not far from town); Southside RV Park, Dillon MT (off I-15) - on edge of town, far enough off I-15 that road noise is diminished, some shade; Buffalo (NFS) CG on US 20, Island Park, ID - one loop has electric sites & some sites close enough to water that you can refill a tank, and that loop does have some sites big enough for your rig; Jim & Mary's RV Park, Missoula MT (shady, older but pleasant).
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
We found this campground near Orofino Idaho on U.S. 12 last month. Very nice full hook-ups, on the river and $9 a night with senior pass
https://www.blm.gov/visit/pink-house-recreation-site