cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F150 drive modes

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
A former idiot boss tried to convince me that towing in ECO mode saved him 2-3 mpg.

So last Friday night after work on a 250 mile drive to camping, I put it in eco mode. I used the dash output as a comparison... and yes, I'm always first to tell people to never ever do that ๐Ÿ™‚

anyway, averaged 11.0 on the trip out in eco mode. Wildcard, for about the first 60 miles, we had lot slower speeds due to rush hour traffic. Truck felt kind of sluggish with cruise control on. for both, 65 mph, unless speed limits were lower.

Tow Haul mode, averaged 10.3. Only one minor backup on the freeway, truck felt much better, quicker to downshift to hold speed.

So much for 2-3 mpg, and given 60 miles at lower speed I'd bet the 0.7 mpg isn't accurate either.
9 REPLIES 9

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried the ECO mode driving around town before not towing and here in Western Pa that mode is useless and sucks....Sport is fast AF off the line but I don't race my truck...the snow wet is cool when its slick out as it starts you in a higher gear than 1st so you don't spin out from a stop but takes time to get use too.

Oh and don't be a dummy and use ECO while towing your tranny with thank you for it....also in ECO there is no engine braking like tow/haul so....
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t know your truck specifically but usually tow/haul is made to save your transmission and to not lug your motor down. Tow without it in tow/haul you might
want to put all that fuel savings in the piggy bank so you can replace your tranny that prematurely failed.
I donโ€™t mean to sound petty but itโ€™s probably not worth the tiny amounts of money youโ€™ll save in fuel.
Happy travels!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Keep it in Eco mode if you like running the trans hotter and the truck driving slower.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boomerweps wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
I have an F-150 and have never heard of "ECO mode." What is that? My truck has standard mode, tow/haul mode, and sport mode.

Five drive modes in 2019, 10 speed transmission. Normal, eco, tow/haul, snow/wet, sport. M on the gear selector means you can use the up/down buttons on the gear selector to manually shift. You can also use the up/down buttons to lock out speeds in Drive.

Thank you for answering my question. My 2017 F-150 also has the capability of shifting to M and using manual shifting, or locking out gears, but it doesn't have eco or snow/wet. I did a lot of manual shifting last fall when we spent 6 weeks in the 4 corners area and I had 6%, 8%, or 10% grades. Some of them I took in 1st gear.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
I have an F-150 and have never heard of "ECO mode." What is that? My truck has standard mode, tow/haul mode, and sport mode.

Five drive modes in 2019, 10 speed transmission. Normal, eco, tow/haul, snow/wet, sport. M on the gear selector means you can use the up/down buttons on the gear selector to manually shift. You can also use the up/down buttons to lock out speeds in Drive.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I get a bit better mileage in standard mode. But since tow / haul also boosts the line pressure I use it for a more positive lockup.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
and snow/wet

busdriverbob
Explorer
Explorer
My 2018 has it

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB