cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black tank stuff

dunerunnerjw
Explorer
Explorer
My RV is approx 40' from nearest sewer cleanout. If I redo my driveway i may consider trenching a line for a cleanout to attach to my sewer for easy dump but that is not happening soon. My question is...if using a macro jet type cleanout system with a garden hose....is it as good as a 3" dump valve into a 3" Sewer? In other words, for drawing the solids with head pressure into a 3" cleanout vs opening a 3" valve to a garden hose garbage disposal to spit the waste through a garden hose to a cleanout.....which is the better cleanup for the black tank itself? Does the "jet" vacume anything or is head pressure best for removing the larger solids?
11 REPLIES 11

dunerunnerjw
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all......some great points!!!!!!

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
LOVE my macerator system for a lot of reasons. First and foremost I don't have to EVER touch or wrestle with a "stinky slinky" again. Having spent years doing it both ways I see no major difference with tank cleanliness. My current 5th wheel didn't drain great before or with the macerator so I often just leave my outdoor kitchen sink faucet running when dumping (it drains to my black tank) and cycle my macerator on/off a few times at 3-4 minute intervals to float all the stuff off the bottom of the tank.

There are a lot of other benefits to the macerator system as well. When camping I usually just hookup the 3/4" hose and leave my gray water open and that's all I need to deal with until I get home. No more waiting in line at the dump station, no more insisting the kids "hold it" all the way home. Of course, these things have more to do with just coming up with a way to empty at home but for me the macerator is just a really nice overall option. I'd still use it if I had a 3" cleanout in my driveway. It's just so much cleaner and easier.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Right now I run about 50' of hoses strung together. It works fine, but is getting old. A macerator is probably in my future.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
It's easier for me to hook up the macerator rather than string sewer hoses together at home. But for the black tank I use a toilet wand with the pump running to thoroughly clean the tank.
Caution - Flojet pumps don't like to be run dry.

This is what I do. Either wand or the black tank flush.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Go the macerator path.

X2!

Just hook a macerator pump to the dump valve and connect a 3/4" garden hose to it. Then stick the end of the hose down a drain and secure it there before you turn the pump on. Works great!
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Go the macerator path.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a portable Flojet Macerator .....use it to pump black & grey 75' with a 2' rise to sisters house cleanout

Takes 10 minutes for black...10 minute cool down---15 minute grey then couple minutes of rinse water thru pump and 3/4" discharge hose

Been using it since 2008

Not too concerned with the 'cleanliness' of WASTE Tanks ---they get dirty next time you use them
After dumping I add 2 full toilet bowl flushes and 2 sink full back into the tanks so bottom stays wet...anything left behind stays wet and doesn't stick

Haven't had a clog/plugged up toilet/waste tank in all the years of camping/RVng
Liquid to solid ratio is the key.

Folks are way to OCD about RV waste tanks.........probably don't think twice about the same plumbing system in their S&Bs :S
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
There are a variety of products that you can put in your black tank that will dissolve the solids.

Jerry Parr
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It's easier for me to hook up the macerator rather than string sewer hoses together at home. But for the black tank I use a toilet wand with the pump running to thoroughly clean the tank.
Caution - Flojet pumps don't like to be run dry.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I see no difference,......I do know that a macerator pump on the dump fitting thru a 3/4 garden hose works very good, and then a couple bowls full of water run thru, I don't see a 3" dump working any better. And the best part, if you drive much distance before dumping, you don't have to worry about cleaning the tank,.....it will be clean no matter how you dump.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
3" is best, 3/4" garden hose is for when nothing else works. You will get little cleaning from anything attached to the outlet, so get a wand to stick down the toilet.