cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering a newer tow rig....

DZG460
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys/gals, new here. Start off by sayin hello, ok now onto business...

I have a 2012 Salem 27RKSS. I believe its roughly 30 ft from nose to tail and (ive never weighed it) but in the 7-7500lb neighboorhood loaded (we travel light).

My current rig is a 97 F250 HD with a 7.5L (460CID) V8, backed by a 4 speed E4OD automatic, 2wd with a 4.10 rear. 103,000 miles.

Im currently looking at 2011-2015ish F150s to stay within what i want to spend (18k or less). From my understanding people tow big trailers with these things all the time, so i think im good there as long as i option it properly.

But heres the kicker, im torn between the 5.0L V8 and the 3.5L EB V6. I know the EB will tow better (athough i doubt as good as my 460), but i question its long term durabilty.

The 5.0 is what my gut points me to, but im also notriously leary of new tech.

I only tow the thing 3 or 4 times a year, max, otherwise itll be a stand in daily driver, or tow a couple quads or a junk car or stufff like that. Ive asked on ford forums but i want good, unbiased opinions.

ANY input on reliabilty/towing performance is apperciated.
28 REPLIES 28

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
Whatever you do, try to find one with the max trailer tow package. They are few and far between, but worth it for a trailer your size. They are generally distinguished by the larger mirrors similar to the 3/4 & 1T ones.

I think the max package would be almost necessary for the trailer that the OP has. Everything I've heard or read about the 3.5 says it will pull your trailer but it won't handle as well as an F250.

I used to have a 24' motorhome with a 460 and it wouldn't pull nearly as good as my current F250 with a 6.2 pulling my camper. The 6.2 gas mileage isn't good but it's quite a bit better than the 460.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I go to the Smoky Mountains often, and towing a big trailer with a 1/2 ton truck would not be for me either.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cousin bought a heavy F150 to haul a 30 ft. toy hauler with a 5.0. So, disappointed that he traded for a RAM 2500 with a 6.4 V8. The 3.5 has a much better low end torque curve than the 5.0--that makes a big difference when towing. The 3.5 also likes premium gas when towing. Kind of surprised that no one is pushing an F250 or 350 with the 6.2 engine. My son has an F350 with the 6.2 and tows his 31 ft. trailer just fine. The Ford 6R140 six speed has close ratios in the top 3 gears and is great for towing.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
" A 6.0L Vortec will amaze you if you are used to a peanut port big block."

Lol. 6.0 Vortecs are great engines and very reliable, but to be amazing compared to a port injected 460, you'd have to remove at least 1 spark plug wire from the big block.
Little less hp and more tq, somewhat comparable actually.

Plus the vortec big block in BenK's truck does not have the terrible TBI peanut port heads anyway.

They won't set the world on fire, but they are decent.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Maybe everyone missed the first post where the OP talked about his budget.
I’ve missed all those $18k 10 speed Eco boosts for sale out there.....
But nothing says dooshwaffle like telling someone how much nicer something is yet is waaay more expensive than they can afford or are willing to spend.
Heck why not recommend a new Lariat Diesel? I mean go big or go home right?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Holdout for a 3.5 with the 10 speed transmission, far better towing platform. Ya, I get it, you test drove one, but you didn't tow with one.

RabidDawg
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
RabidDawg wrote:
I went from a 2013 F150 with the 3.5 to a 2017 F350 diesel (towing 28', ~6500-7000 lbs). The F150 EB did a fine job, except on passes with switchbacks or steep declines. Going up a hill with switchbacks just killed the transmission. Going down steep grades, the lack of compression made it hard to keep it slow and not have the brakes heat up.

The F350 tows like a dream. The exhaust brake, the beefed up transmission, bigger brakes, etc., just make towing with this night and day better than the F150. If you can bigger, do it. You won't regret it.

Because this is related to the OP's inquiry, or just wanted to point out that your new diesel out performs an Eco boost?

Just trying to provide a data point from someone who owned a vehicle similar to the one the OP is looking at, and not feeling like it was enough truck.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
DZG460 wrote:
Perhaps id be further ahead then keeping my current rig? It needs some stuff, has a bit of body rust here and there, but its still a good truck.

You mention finances and you have a truck that you drive less than 5,000 miles a year presumably?
At those low miles it could or should be in cherry shape. If it's not, only you know what's wrong with it, what needs done and what you "want" for a truck.

This is not a question about if a newish F150 will tow your trailer fine, but more of a get some reassurance from random people that you should upgrade and justify a car payment.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RabidDawg wrote:
I went from a 2013 F150 with the 3.5 to a 2017 F350 diesel (towing 28', ~6500-7000 lbs). The F150 EB did a fine job, except on passes with switchbacks or steep declines. Going up a hill with switchbacks just killed the transmission. Going down steep grades, the lack of compression made it hard to keep it slow and not have the brakes heat up.

The F350 tows like a dream. The exhaust brake, the beefed up transmission, bigger brakes, etc., just make towing with this night and day better than the F150. If you can bigger, do it. You won't regret it.

Because this is related to the OP's inquiry, or just wanted to point out that your new diesel out performs an Eco boost?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
" A 6.0L Vortec will amaze you if you are used to a peanut port big block."

Lol. 6.0 Vortecs are great engines and very reliable, but to be amazing compared to a port injected 460, you'd have to remove at least 1 spark plug wire from the big block.
Little less hp and more tq, somewhat comparable actually.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do, try to find one with the max trailer tow package. They are few and far between, but worth it for a trailer your size. They are generally distinguished by the larger mirrors similar to the 3/4 & 1T ones.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

DZG460
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input guys. I went and drove an ecoboost truck today, and oddly, i was not impressed. The 5.0 seems to have way smoother power delivery.

I found a 2012 with 62k on it and a 5.0 im going to go crunch numbers on, see what happens.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are no long term reliability issues with either engine (at least since they fixed the intercooler issue in 2010). The 10 speed transmission coupled to the 3.5 engine is a very impressive combination.

DZG460
Explorer
Explorer
I live in michigan and while i might go down to the smokeys or up north (if i got a different rig) i dont see my self headin out to the big mountains with my trailer.

My 460 tows great, atleast in my opinion. The only time i feel like id like a bit more is once you are merging on the freeway. If youre on the skinny roads it pulls like its not there.

Im just gunshy about trucks. When i bought my trailer new in 2012 i was towing it with a 77 F250 (yes you read that right) with a 400/C6/3.07 rear. It was a nightmare and i dont wanna relive that lol.

So what about long term reliabilty? I can work on a 5.0, the ecoboost i dont know. Ive driven a few 5.0s but i plan in driving some ecoboosts as well.